Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 PM

581 posts, read 2,307,200 times

Advertisements

I printed out the "Bill of Sale" document from the DMV website.

When I sell a car that I own "out-right" with no liens, are the
following 3 steps all I need to do???

1) Fill out top and bottom of DMV Bill of sale.
2) Fill out top portion of Title then tear it off and send it to the DMV
3) Sign over Title and give to buyer. (minus the top part)

Do I need to take the CA plate off and return it to the DMV or does it
go with the car?

Did I miss anything that I need to do???

Thanks!!!
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 06:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom63376 View Post
I printed out the "Bill of Sale" document from the DMV website.

When I sell a car that I own "out-right" with no liens, are the
following 3 steps all I need to do???

1) Fill out top and bottom of DMV Bill of sale.
2) Fill out top portion of Title then tear it off and send it to the DMV
3) Sign over Title and give to buyer. (minus the top part)

Do I need to take the CA plate off and return it to the DMV or does it
go with the car?

Did I miss anything that I need to do???

Thanks!!!
Tom
Yes... California requires the vehicle owner to provide a valid Smog Certificate to the Buyer upon sale... the ONLY exception I'm aware of are for cars sold in State to CA licensed Dealers/Dismantlers, Cars which are Smog Exempt... 1973? and older and Cars transfers between parent and child...

If you sell without providing a smog and one is required... you are leaving yourself liable for what ever the cost is to have the car pass smog...

I like to go with my buyer to the DMV or in my case the AAA office which provides limited DMV services to members and do the transfer... the car will always remain in your name unless the buyer completes a transfer... the notice of sale you provide the DMV is protection against tickets and fines... but it can still be a real problem if your buyer is unscruplious...

Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 PM

Oh yes, I have a 1 year old smog cert. Is that good enough or do I need a new one?
Is that the only thing I missed?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,878,302 times
You don't take the plate off unless you are selling the vehicle out of state. You are required to provide the smog cert, however... The last two cars I sold, the buyer offered me less money than I was asking, so I wrote on the bill of sale the price was reduced because the buyer would provide smog. How that would hold up in court, I don't know, but I have done it on several occasions with no problems.
I also wrote there was no known defects, the cars starts and runs well, the transmission shifts properly, the tires are good, the brakes are good, however the vehicle is being sold as is with no guarantee.
When the buyer pays, you sign and date the title. Buyer has ten days from that date to register the vehicle in his name. By signing and dating, you are relieved of responsibility, no need to go to the DMV with him.
A one year old smog cert is not good, you will need a new one.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,760,647 times
dont worry about the plate.

make a photocopy of the release of liability for your records. the dmv is very prone to losing them and you dont get a carbon copy

Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 AM

If I sell the car out of state, am I required to take the plate off and personally
return it at the CA DMV??

Or will the DMV of the other state request the plate from the new owner at
registration time and send it back to CA DMV??

IE: I am on assignment on the East Coast right now and want to sell this car
here and just fly back to CA. (I have second car in CA)

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
In CA the plates stay with the vehicle...

If you have a Vanity Plate or other special issue plate, the proper procedure is to go to your nearest DMV and fill out a form that allows you to retain your exisitng plate for a fee and you will walk out with a replacement standard plate for a fee...

Here is what the CA DMV has posted regarding Smog requirements and sales...

When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?
The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

Note: Smog certifications are not required for transfers that occur for any motor vehicle that is four or less model years old. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,878,302 times
I dobn't know how it works in the state you are in, we are talking Calif DMV laws here. I recently purchased a car in Florida, which I shipped to California, and a pick-up from MJ, which I had shipped to Calif. both of those states required the plates be returned to their DMV's. Check your local state DMV to see if it's the same.
The two vehicles were a 2007, and a 2003, and both required a Calif smog cert before registering in Calif.
Vehicles purchased in Calif don't requoire smog for five years, but even new vehicles purchased in another state, must be smogged in Calif before it can be registered.
The S-10 pick-up even required a weight cert before registering in Calif.
You are selling in another state. Check your local DMV laws, they may be different..1

Old 05-01-2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks to all who posted!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 02:53 AM

1 posts, read 7,097 times
im required to have a smog report to transfer the title under my name but the vechicle is no longer in my possesion can the dmv give me anything stating ive paid the fees fue and that im the legal new owner or in the process to go lick up my car and get the smog check done??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County