Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Irvine more Keep up with the Joneses than Lake Forest?
Yes 22 75.86%
No 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 05:04 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I wouldn't say that. I certainly know some extremely frugal Asians, and some profligate white people. But there are certain places in South OC that seem to be dominated by wealthy, flashy Asians, and people notice and remember that. As a white woman with no eye for fashion, I feel very out of place in South Coast Plaza, for instance.
But you wouldn't say Chinese women are more into fashion than white women, would you? I still don't see it as a racial or cultural thing so much as an income thing. You have some wealthier Mainlanders in Irvine but you also have lower income Mainlanders and Taiwanese in Monterey Park. After all, Newport Beach is mostly white, I wonder where the white women there go for high end fashion? Not South Coast Plaza?

Also consider that the wealthy Asian tourist is more likely to visit and shop in LA and SF than they are the East Coast. The wealthy European tourist is more likely to visit Miami than the West Coast. So there are definitely high end European shoppers visiting America, I'm sure, but mostly in Miami, NYC, the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 05:24 PM

426 posts, read 353,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
But you wouldn't say Chinese women are more into fashion than white women, would you? I still don't see it as a racial or cultural thing so much as an income thing. You have some wealthier Mainlanders in Irvine but you also have lower income Mainlanders and Taiwanese in Monterey Park. After all, Newport Beach is mostly white, I wonder where the white women there go for high end fashion? Not South Coast Plaza?

Also consider that the wealthy Asian tourist is more likely to visit and shop in LA and SF than they are the East Coast. The wealthy European tourist is more likely to visit Miami than the West Coast. So there are definitely high end European shoppers visiting America, I'm sure, but mostly in Miami, NYC, the East Coast.
Fashion Island primarily. But you see white people at South Coast too.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:31 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Fashion Island primarily. But you see white people at South Coast too.
I was about to say Fashion Island. Of course there are both white and Asian people at both, but the percentage of Chinese is noticeably higher at South Coast Plaza. And they are mainly either recent immigrants or tourists...people who are young, wealthy, and walking around speaking Chinese. I haven't been there all this year, but in past years, a high percentage of the women were also hugely pregnant.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:06 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,749,752 times
Quote:
So given the same income in the same area, White people are more frugal and less flashy than Asians? I thought it was Asians who saved and invested a lot.
Guess you don't know Asians very well, do you...

Old 11-01-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I was about to say Fashion Island. Of course there are both white and Asian people at both, but the percentage of Chinese is noticeably higher at South Coast Plaza. And they are mainly either recent immigrants or tourists...people who are young, wealthy, and walking around speaking Chinese. I haven't been there all this year, but in past years, a high percentage of the women were also hugely pregnant.
Yes. There were actual tour bus companies (pre covid obviously) that would drive Chinese directly from LAX to South Cost to go shopping. Whenever I go to South Coast the majority of shoppers are mainland Chinese. But also some Middle Easternern oil money too. It's all about new money conspicuous consumption.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
So given the same income in the same area, White people are more frugal and less flashy than Asians? I thought it was Asians who saved and invested a lot.
What you're seeing is the difference between new money and old money. Most Chinese are just first generation wealthy. As in their parents grew up in rice paddies in some village and their uncles were disappeared by Mao. Now that they have money it's all about flaunting it.

Compared to families who have been brought up with wealth over multiple generations. It's not a big deal so showing it off is seen as beneath them and as a way to distinguish themselves from the new money. This has happened for centuries.

Old 11-05-2020, 06:14 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,540 times
Lake Forest is at a lower tax bracket. I don't consider It flashy. It's a bit hillbilly if I had to say.

Old 11-05-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Lake Forest is at a lower tax bracket. I don't consider It flashy. It's a bit hillbilly if I had to say.
Ha ha, hillbilly? Yeah right. What do you mean? Lots of gun owners in Lake Forest?

Old 11-06-2020, 09:06 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Ha ha, hillbilly? Yeah right. What do you mean? Lots of gun owners in Lake Forest?
Guns.... a still in the backyard, barefoot children, a few goats and chickens.....

Old 11-06-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Guns.... a still in the backyard, barefoot children, a few goats and chickens.....
Oh yeah! Bake Parkway, it's the Mason Dixon Line of Orange County!

Where can I get that Lake Forest moonshine? Where can I listen to Dixie being played on banjos in Lake Forest?

Or Confederate Flags being flown in Lake Forest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County