Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:04 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,902 times

Advertisements

are people in newport beach and the areas around it really like the people from the tv show oc? i never watched the show before and decided to watch a couple episodes today since im moving out there. it seems like all the actors dont have a sense of tight relationships with their partners or friends, like if something was to benefit them they would sell out a friend to make their own situation better. that is not cool. im assuming this is just a small controlled number of people, and i hope this is not a sample of the majority of the community. also the people seem to be a bit empty as far as depth of conversation and thoughts. let me know your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 07:54 PM

this is sad to hear! wow
any takes on nb vs san diego in this respect? thanks for your feedback.
i really liked san diego a lot as well as newport beach and i am trying to decide. i put a deposit on a place in newport beach real nice area but im starting to think twice b/c of the vibe of the people and how they act, i cant deal with stiffs and social jerks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I grew up a rich kid in that area (Newport/CDM), first car was a Porsche targa, my bedroom was bigger than some people's apartments, etc. Of course, when I moved out on my own I got poor really quick as I worked my way through college, but I had a good perspective on that whole scene...and I watched the show 8-10 times so I have some idea of the themes.

As far as how shallow people are on the show...check. That was typical. Social climbing started in Jr High in my area, and girls dated boys at my school to get seen in a Ferrari, or get invited on the "right" person's yacht for a party. I had a girlfriend break up with me because her family was in Big Canyon so they felt they were "above us" on the social scale. Most people chose their colleges based on which place had the best party scene (UCSD and UCSB were top choices), followed by USC where a lot of our families had gone and expectations followed. And UCI had a strong following for anyone who wanted to go into medicine.

When I was 17 my family moved further south to the DP/SJC area. It was 180 degrees from the Newport/CDM scene. It was much easier to form friendships with more depth, and my fellow students were thinking of Harvard, UCLA, Stanford, etc. And of course, still a solid faction going for the "party school" goals...that was still a big factor. And it still was all about how much money your parents had that you could wield to influence others, even in HS. Knew one girl who got her dad to buy her a 308Gtsi Ferrari because the "in clique" had excluded her and she wanted to show them up. (They "only" had Mercedes and BMWs)

So I understand that my personal situation was only one person's view of social life there, and even people from north Newport (by the river jetty) were more surfers than social climbers. But there are at least big enough groups of people who could walk right out of that show into my teenage life that yes, there are some very life-like story lines in that show...

Old 02-23-2007, 09:13 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
I think you'll be fine in NB. You just need to dig deeper to get below those people, and you'll find people who have depth and character NOT motived by money or looks. I just think it's harder to break through that surface in the richer areas.

My cousin lives near UCSD and complains about the same yuppies in that area. And we have friends who moved to Del Mar and found it very hard to break through to some people's depth in relationships when people are working so hard to keep up appearances.

I remember my dad telling me that "status" is buying things you don't need, with money you don't have, to impress people you don't even like....I think much of that coastal area has that problem....one reason we bailed out to raise our kids elsewhere....

Old 02-24-2007, 12:48 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
You can easily find the plastic people. Easy to avoid as well.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:51 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,012 times
Unless you have a lot of money you will never interact with these people. You may see them, but that’s all the interaction you will get.
NB is mostly transient people. The majority are only renting and from other parts of CA or other states. These are the people you will interact with.
Be careful with the “surfer” crowd they are for the most part friendly, but they will scam you if they get a chance.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Unless you have a lot of money you will never interact with these people. You may see them, but that’s all the interaction you will get.
NB is mostly transient people. The majority are only renting and from other parts of CA or other states. These are the people you will interact with.
Be careful with the “surfer” crowd they are for the most part friendly, but they will scam you if they get a chance.
thanks for the feedback. it seems the overall consensus is take the good with the bad. if you want to associate with jerky people you will find jerky people, if you keep your blinders on and only get with down to earth people then that is what you will find. as far as my personality and desires go, i have no time to waste on selfish sociopaths so i will do my own thing and hopefully good things will happen and i will meet some nice people.

regarding this surfer crowd, what's up with the scamming from them? how come just this particular crowd?

Old 02-24-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
regarding this surfer crowd, what's up with the scamming from them? how come just this particular crowd?
I was painting with a broad brush on that one. I said be aware not stay away. A lot of people surf and the majority are, students, professionals, or normal society. These people are for the most part not going to live in NPB.
The ones I was telling you about are the ones that surf full time and live at the beach without any steady means of support. Some certainly not all will beg, borrow, or steal to stay there. They prey on unsuspecting people and someone that isn’t aware can be taken advantage of. Kind of like hippies in the 60’s.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:36 PM

Default re- scamming

ok sounds good.
well coming from the east coast, being taken advantage of is one thing i know how to look out for lol. people are tough out here and can spot a fake in a second! but thanks for the input and recommendation at least.

on another note, does anyone know of good nightclubs/lounges/activities for a 26 yr old male in newport or around that area?

Old 02-24-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
on another note, does anyone know of good nightclubs/lounges/activities for a 26 yr old male in newport or around that area?
I’ve been married way too long, and when I was 26, well that’s, anyway.
I would say check out all of them. Any activity you want or can create is yours for the taking. You wont have a problem staying active, although you may find it hard to find the time to explore them all.

One thing I would suggest is go to Balboa and do the boat ride that takes you to a bunch of bars and restraints for cocktails. Can’t remember the name of the business. Also you can rent a Duffy boat and tour the harbor your self.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:22 PM

601 posts, read 1,452,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Most people chose their colleges based on which place had the best party scene (UCSD and UCSB were top choices),
UCSD, a party school? Um, I think you meant SDSU.

bd5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County