Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:36 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread. I was in San Marcos, downtown San Diego, Embarcadero, and Old Historic San Diego National Park about 10 months ago and noticed right away how few black people there were. It was really odd. It seems that even though many of them may not live in Orange County,they don't even seem to go there recreationally. I was in Laguna Beach last year and noticed the same thing. I think in 5 days in Laguna, I literally saw about 2 black tourist families. I LOVE Southern California and this is not a judgement of it. Just an observation. My city, Chicago, is very segregated as far as which races live where. We have entire huge areas of one race maybe with a low percentage of another race mixed in. But it seems that people go into each other's neighborhoods more for leisure and then head back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:37 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
After I posted, I realized that San Diego isn't Orange County, is it?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthursChoice View Post
Probably the white guy, but it has nothing to do with race it has to do with POVERTY.
You are probably wrong because you are missing an important dynamic in American race relations. The penalties for a black person who causes harm to a white person (assuming they are caught) are extreme. I used to see white people walking around late at night in some pretty cracked out places in Brooklyn. The police were all over anyone who even looked at them cross eyed. Whenever the odd mugging happened the helicopters would keep everyone up for days until the message was hammered home. Literally. But instead of wondering why black people aren't seen in ______ area or the other, I wonder why we don't wonder why white people aren't seen in ________ area or the other? I mean, there are only a few tens of million black people to go around. There are a LOT more white people. Why do they flee certain areas and leave them for dead the nanosecond a black family is sighted?

H

Old 12-04-2008, 01:27 AM

32 posts, read 126,840 times
There are quite a few black people out her in Irvine.I am one of them.I see black people everytime I go out. To be honest I have gotton more rude looks/actions from mexicans than the white people here,don't know what that is about.Even tough this weekend at Costco I had a white guy looking at me as if he wanted to slap the hell out of me. I mean staring me down like he was crazy. I know for a fact after I smiled and said "I am rich b---h" he was really pissed(LOL)All jokes aside we are here just not a lot but enough for me to feel comfortable.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:47 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,528 times
When blacks started migrating to Southern California in the 1940s from Texas and Louisiana they moved overwhelmingly to central Los Angeles . That is where the jobs and industry were to be found at the time. Over the next few decades as more gained a little afflluence they migreated west into the Crenshaw District/ View Park area. So those areas have a certain history and cultural ties for African Americans that do not exist in Orange County.

Today, the blacks that can't afford to leave the central areas of L.A. are forced to stay. The younger ones who are more educated leave. But typically they leave Southern California altogether. Most of the guys I went to high school and college with who are well educated (and black) left California and have not looked back.

In short the California born blacks with the money to live in the pricer parts of OC are in North Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Texas, etc. And the ones who are well to do that stay prefer L.A. proper to Orange County. I think has more to do with the culture of the areas. Even though both Newport Beach and Beverly Hills have a lot of plasitc people, there is still a huge difference in culture. It's not good or bad. It just is.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM

213 posts, read 744,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedin08 View Post
There are quite a few black people out her in Irvine.I am one of them.I see black people everytime I go out. To be honest I have gotton more rude looks/actions from mexicans than the white people here,don't know what that is about.Even tough this weekend at Costco I had a white guy looking at me as if he wanted to slap the hell out of me. I mean staring me down like he was crazy. I know for a fact after I smiled and said "I am rich b---h" he was really pissed(LOL)All jokes aside we are here just not a lot but enough for me to feel comfortable.

The mexican thing is that in LA the fights are now between the blacks and mexicans not so much black guys against each other( I know this because I know a Compton Crip ). That might be why its like that in Irvine.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:32 AM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
After I posted, I realized that San Diego isn't Orange County, is it?
No, it's not. San Diego County and Orange County are adjacent to each other. I can tell you're not from around here!

Old 01-20-2009, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,733 times
Default who is more likely a victim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Which person is more likely to be a victim? A black guy walking down the street in south Orange County or a white guy walking down the street in a 90% black neighborhood in Los Angeles?
anyone walking in LA would be most likely a victim since crime is higher in LA - but not because they are white and walking in a largely black neighborhood.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,733 times
Default progressive community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
are you saying that as one that believes in that principle? do you think its the community's responsibility to recruit different cultures? who pays for that? what about when whites are minorities(as estimates have them as minorities in california now or sometime in the next few years)? wouldnt it be called racist somehow to target white people to move into a community?
"progressive community" SHOULD mean any community that promotes diversity (culture, age, religion, race, education etc.). I think it should be a decision of that community. It shouldn't cost anything if they do things like simple outreach/web advertising/word-of-mouth. And it shouldn't be considered racist to target whites to move into a community that is predominantly some other race.

who wouldn't want to promote diversity in a diverse world? the more you know, the more you grow.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:00 PM

359 posts, read 1,312,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You are probably wrong because you are missing an important dynamic in American race relations. The penalties for a black person who causes harm to a white person (assuming they are caught) are extreme. I used to see white people walking around late at night in some pretty cracked out places in Brooklyn. The police were all over anyone who even looked at them cross eyed. Whenever the odd mugging happened the helicopters would keep everyone up for days until the message was hammered home. Literally. But instead of wondering why black people aren't seen in ______ area or the other, I wonder why we don't wonder why white people aren't seen in ________ area or the other? I mean, there are only a few tens of million black people to go around. There are a LOT more white people. Why do they flee certain areas and leave them for dead the nanosecond a black family is sighted?

H
No I'm sure its YOU that's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County