Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 PM

27 posts, read 56,886 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody !

We are a family of four. The economy made us think and we finaly decided about moving out of state. Cary, NC and Overland Park, KS are our current options.
We would love to hear about other people that are thinking about moving out of CA and maybe we could share ideas.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 07:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Why move out, specifically?
Why those two places?
What line of work are you in? Will you find a job in either of those places?

Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 PM

27 posts, read 56,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why move out, specifically?
Why those two places?
What line of work are you in? Will you find a job in either of those places?
We are moving out to a place where we can buy a 5 bedroom 4000 sq ft house with a huge backyard for the same price that we would here for a 3 bedroom 1000 sq ft condo with a patio. Makes sense?
In Cary, NC and Overland Park, KS we found out that it is safe, very good schools and low cost of living. There is also 4 seasons which we love.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo24 View Post
We are moving out to a place where we can buy a 5 bedroom 4000 sq ft house with a huge backyard for the same price that we would here for a 3 bedroom 1000 sq ft condo with a patio. Makes sense?
In Cary, NC and Overland Park, KS we found out that it is safe, very good schools and low cost of living. There is also 4 seasons which we love.
Yes, it makes sense.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:29 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Overland Park Kansas might be cheaper than Orange County, but from my understanding its one of the most expensive places to live in greater Kansas City. Still, coming from California it will probably look like a steal.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:58 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,282 times
Do it and don't ever look back. You're doing your kids a HUGE favor. Let them grow up in a wholesome environment where when they finish college, they actually have a shot.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 PM

22 posts, read 73,545 times
We moved from Huntington Beach to Sacramento to St. Louis. We've been here 5 years now. Although St. Louis is great place to live, the people are very excluding of those who haven't grown up here. Also, Spring, Summer, Fall is fabulous, but the winters are really hard to take. It is 16 degrees right now!
We miss the ocean and the mountains. I'm on this site because we want to move back to California!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:10 PM

22 posts, read 73,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
Do it and don't ever look back. You're doing your kids a HUGE favor. Let them grow up in a wholesome environment where when they finish college, they actually have a shot.
This is actually true. The midwest is a great place to raise kids. Finishing college is just an understood fact here. Most people realize that family is more important than status symbols.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:43 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruledent View Post
We moved from Huntington Beach to Sacramento to St. Louis. We've been here 5 years now. Although St. Louis is great place to live, the people are very excluding of those who haven't grown up here. Also, Spring, Summer, Fall is fabulous, but the winters are really hard to take. It is 16 degrees right now!
Sounds a lot like Cincinnati. When they ask you what school you attended, they don't mean college/university...Its like some sort of weirdo test to verify that you're part of the city's "in-crowd." I don't miss the humidity and the asthma/allergies from all the pollen and mold at all. Actually, besides family, the gorgeous fall weather/colors and the Buckeyes there's not a whole lot about Ohio that I miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruledent View Post
We miss the ocean and the mountains. I'm on this site because we want to move back to California!
Same here (well, I miss the ocean). I moved to Phoenix in December 2007 and have been applying for jobs in Southern California since May 2008 when I went back for a visit the first time after leaving for PHX. I'm officially an outsider (non-California resident) so I don't have any real chance in hell of moving back/finding a job, especially in this economy. I enjoy banging my head against brick walls (metaphorically speaking) and I'm a sucker for lost causes, though.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:22 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,373,540 times
In Cary, NC you'll have plenty of neighbors from other places, especially MI, OH, PA, NJ, NY. Outsiders are so common that it won't be a big deal that you are from CA. I lived in the south for a few years (AL) and it suited me just fine. As you know Cary is a thriving suburban city in the "triangle" area of NC. NC has a lot to offer, and it's one of the few states that even with this recession is still growing and hanging in there. You are within a few hours of some real nice beach areas to visit on weekends or holidays (outer banks). Or the southern Appalachians are a few hours west and have a lot to offer too. You can get to big city Washington DC or Atlanta within about 5 hours in either direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County