Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
meh, people make insensitive jokes all the time(and not just white people). racial/cultural jokes depend on context and who you joke with. the guy does a good job in the city and hasnt had any other instances ive seen, so ill chalk it up to sending an insensitive joke to the wrong person.

im not a bush fan, but as others have mentioned it wasnt an issue when people made fun of bush comparing him to a monkey or made fun of him being a country texan.

people need some thicker skin
Its more than just a person making an insensitive joke or remark. This person is an elected official. This person sets policies within his community. The policies that he sets affect many people (including the African Americans) within his community.

If this mayor holds these sentiments, how can he be fair in making decisions related to African Americans within his community?

It is NOT about getting thicker skin.

This mayor is one (public) example of the systematic racial bias that mny have been subjected to over many years. Most public officials that hold his views have either been forced underground(expressing racist views amongst other known racists) or have died out.

As a public official, Mayor Grose has the obligation to not display potential bias in his duties to the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 06:17 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
a joke isn't bias

ever see Blazing Saddles? That movie is full of bigname people making racially motivated jokes. Noone was blacklisted because of it, and it is generally thought of as a good movie. It's not considered a racist movie eventhough it contains racial jokes.

this mayor forwarded what was most likely a chain email(my wife gets 100 of these a day at work, and usually much worse racially or sexually) to the wrong person. yes he made a mistake in judgement, but making a mistake in judgement by forwarding a poor joke isnt the equivalent of racism.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
a joke isn't bias

ever see Blazing Saddles? That movie is full of bigname people making racially motivated jokes. Noone was blacklisted because of it, and it is generally thought of as a good movie. It's not considered a racist movie eventhough it contains racial jokes.

this mayor forwarded what was most likely a chain email(my wife gets 100 of these a day at work, and usually much worse racially or sexually) to the wrong person. yes he made a mistake in judgement, but making a mistake in judgement by forwarding a poor joke isnt the equivalent of racism.
The problem is that you (and people like you) think that it was just that he sent it to the "wrong people". The problem is that he actually thought that it was funny at all. If it wasn't meant to be racially offensive, then why didn't he send it when Bush or Clinton were in office?

And FYI, Blazing Saddle was neither funny nor acceptable - I don't care how many people thought that it was not a racist film. These are the same people that think that Birth of a Nation is the best film of all time.

This all goes back to the reasons a lot of people (myself included) believe that the OC is at best racially insensitive and at worst racist at its core. I think that having the mayor of a city dispensing racist material proves what many believe: OC is a sundown county.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And FYI, Blazing Saddle was neither funny nor acceptable - I don't care how many people thought that it was not a racist film. These are the same people that think that Birth of a Nation is the best film of all time.
I've never seen Birth of a Nation but Blazing Saddles is funny as hell and was written by a comedian named Richard Pryor. Ever hear of him? Did you even notice that the only character in the movie who wasn't a total nitwit was Sheriff Bart?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:49 PM

147 posts, read 568,849 times
who really cares. I wonder why you are making such a big issue about such a non-issue?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaglerwrangler View Post
who really cares. I wonder why you are making such a big issue about such a non-issue?

Because it IS an issue. The fact that you think its a non-issue is also an issue.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
The problem is that you (and people like you) think that it was just that he sent it to the "wrong people". The problem is that he actually thought that it was funny at all. If it wasn't meant to be racially offensive, then why didn't he send it when Bush or Clinton were in office?

This all goes back to the reasons a lot of people (myself included) believe that the OC is at best racially insensitive and at worst racist at its core. I think that having the mayor of a city dispensing racist material proves what many believe: OC is a sundown county.
He sent it to someone that is too sensitive. Some people are like that. We all know someone like that. As for as why he didn't send it another time, it's a chain email. Someone sends it to someone and they send it to someone else. I spoke with my wife today(who I stated was the recipient of many chainmails) and she received the very same email with the very same picture a few days ago. It's a joke. Some people get it, some people don't. Not to mention during the Clinton administration there were all sorts of jokes about him not inhaling and about his affairs with other women. Bush and monkeys have already been mentioned. Guess "the chosen one" can't be made fun of. Definitely "change" I can't believe in.

Anyways, the people that espouse so much against racism are the people that keep racism alive. Morgan Freeman once said that the only way racism will disappear is if people stop talking about it and move on with their lives, and no truer statement in modern times has been said on the matter. Hell, California Democrats defeated a measure to end classification of race in California government a few years ago. One would think that Democrats wouldn't care about race. I guess one would be wrong.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:19 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
calipoppy: Read this and it should make you feel a little better: Mayor who sent watermelon e-mail says he'll resign | mayor, mail, grose, city, alamitos - News - OCRegister.com

bhcompy: You should read it too, looks like you get a new mayor.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 PM

very unfortunate. he's done a good job in a tough time, but unfortunately, a little oversensitivity does him in. the pc state of this nation is very sad, and sadly perpetuated by some people posting even here.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:

And FYI, Blazing Saddle was neither funny nor acceptable - I don't care how many people thought that it was not a racist film.
Nowadays, there are amazing modern surgical procedures to remove sticks from butts. You should consider one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: