Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:30 PM

157 posts, read 675,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmc2007 View Post
How many batteries are in a "green car"? compared to a regular car that has only 1? and what happans to those "extra" batteries when they are no longer any good? And although they tell you that the Hybrid batteries are designed to last the lifetime of the car, they actually dont, which is why our neighbor got rid of thier Hybrid car. That accroding to them, drives slow, cant keep up in merging of traffic on our highways and has terrible room capacity for items you need to take with you.

NOW I dont own a Hybrid and I dont recycle and I dont believe in global warming.. But what I do believe in is that the Carpool lanes are ment for 2 or more per vehicle and now with the curtesy of a car (Hybrid) with only the driver-- they have now managed clog the carpool lane and brake at every opportunity to charge thier little batteries.
First off, you can leave a Hybrid sitting in the driveway for 3 months and it doesn't need to be re-charged. So if people are intentionally braking to re-charge their battery while on HOV lane I think that is overkill, when a normal brake is quite sufficient.

Second, Hybrid batteries are 100% recyclable and under Warranty for the life of the vehicle:

"Battery toxicity is a concern, althoug today's hybrids use NiMH batteries, not the environmentally problematic rechargeable nickel cadmium. "Nickel metal hydride batteries are benign. They can be fully recycled," says Ron Cogan, editor of the Green Car Journal. Toyota and Honda say that they will recycle dead batteries and that disposal will pose no toxic hazards. Toyota puts a phone number on each battery, and they pay a $200 "bounty" for each battery to help ensure that it will be properly recycled."

I don't know if batteries are much of a concern as compared to the gas savings, gas consumption, overall emissions in city traffic.

However, I am going to wait for 125 MPG Toyota Prius anyway...

New Battery Pushes Prius to 125 MPG (TreeHugger)

Nevermind...I noticed you don't believe in Global Warming, this explains alot.

Last edited by rockx; 08-08-2007 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 03:45 PM

279 posts, read 1,139,352 times
LOL.. Yes my not believing in global warming does explain a lot thanks for the slam that we dont see eye to eye. LOL.. Typical response I expected from a person that does believe.

But alas as it may be... it is what it is and I am sure you run around worrying enough for the rest of us poor souls that don't.

Personally a HUGE Concert that raked up tons of trash by attendings people, used a ton of electricity for the show, tons of jet fuel to fly in the performers, not to mention deisel and what not to transport equipment and stages and carry away the trash.... to promote the waste of what is "casuing global warming" wasnt such a bright idea..
and planting a tree to clear the guilt of a "carbon footprint" LOL is a bunch of hooey.

But since we live in a free country and enjoy a diff of opinion I guess this would be mine.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,980 times
I have a question that I pray someone will answer. My husband and I just moved out to the Inland Empire. He has to commute to Long Beach VA hospital for his twice weekly chemo sessions. I have researched to no avail who to contact about signing up/paying for the Fast Track privilege. Can someone here give me that info? It would be greatly appreciated. Also, what is the fee cost and can you get a monthly pass? Thanks for any help!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsmurph View Post
I have a question that I pray someone will answer. My husband and I just moved out to the Inland Empire. He has to commute to Long Beach VA hospital for his twice weekly chemo sessions. I have researched to no avail who to contact about signing up/paying for the Fast Track privilege. Can someone here give me that info? It would be greatly appreciated. Also, what is the fee cost and can you get a monthly pass? Thanks for any help!
Cheapest fastpass and quickest I found was buying it at CostCo. $45 comes with $5 credit. After purchase you need to go online and register it with a credit card or checking account info to occur the fees. There is a monthly charge of $2. They maintain a $40 or $50 balance.

Or just Google it.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:23 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmc2007 View Post
Do you feel that if you pay for the Fast Track and commute the 91, that you should still be able to stay in the Carpool Lane regardless if you are the only one in the car?,,,,.
Do every morning.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,980 times
Thank you so much ferretkona for the info! We GREATLY appreciate it and will go to CostCo tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County