Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,967,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Were you from Kentucky originally before you moved to Fontana or is just a random name that you came up with?
No, I'm from Capistrano Beach in South OC. Fontucky is an old pejorative for Fontana. Something to do with the hicks and red necks that flocked here to work in the steel mill during WW2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,035 times
Default you forgot..

The **** hole elitists *******s. This OC is plauged with them!!
I want to run out of here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hello, this post is for those who have never been to Southern California and are looking for information regarding the area. Please believe me... I am NOT trying to be negative because I am not a negative person. I am only trying to help you with my own experience living in Southern California. I am only doing this to help those of you who are thinking about relocating to the area and need help. Trust me I have a lot of better things to do with my time but I really feel this is important so please take a few minutes to read this.

For those of you who absolutely have to make the move then this is my advise.. do a lot of research, ask many questions and don't fall for the information that only shows you the beauty of California. The beauty is only a small part of the picture. Just so you know, I was the typical blonde california girl and totally fit the profile. At one point I was training to become an NFL Ram's cheerleader. Unfortunately, I injured my ankle in my jazz class the day before tryouts and I was unable to participate. The very next year the Rams left for Kansas City. By the way, have you ever wondered why such a large place like Orange County does not have a professional football team anymore?? Interestingly this is what I found out.. When L.A. and Anaheim were home to the Raiders and Rams they didn't make enough money because they didn't have enough loyal and supportive fans. So basically both teams packed up and left... Very sad that an area with so much status and wealth does not have any pro teams. I guess everyone is too busy in California so they have better things to do than sit at a football game??? Or there is just too much to do?? Whatever the case they lost their NFL teams. Hopefully for all you football fans like myself.. someday they can get one back..

Before I tell you more of the negative, let me begin with the positive. First of all, there is A LOT of good things about California. Primarily the weather is awesome. It is basically never too hot (unless you are inland) and it is extremely mild in the winter. The sky is blue most of the time and there are places by the beach that are amazing and breathtaking. I love the ocean and it is one of my favorite places to be.

There is a lot to do in California and many great opportunities for the young and old alike. You never get bored because if you have the money there are always fun places to go. Disneyland was a place that I visited on a regular basis. I loved to get an annual pass and go there in the wee hours just before closing to go on Splash Mountain over and over again. No lines late at night!! Knotts Berry Farm is great, six flags not too far of a drive and Universal Studios a couple of hours away. So much to do and too much to list here in this post.

I met my husband in San Diego County, had my first son in Irvine and my second son in Anaheim Hills. So California holds many precious memories for me. I would have to write a book to tell you of all the happy memories I had in California...

What disappointed me is the fact that it is extremely crowded, stressful on the highways and there is an awful lot of crime. It is so expensive that I never owned a home in the 20-years that I lived there. Half the time I couldn't understand my neighbor because everyone spoke another language. Nothing wrong with that (I have many beautiful Spanish speaking friends) but when an English speaking woman goes to the grocery store and can not find something and nobody speaks english, I have a problem with that. I really started feeling like an alien in Orange County. I actually felt very lonely at times

Another issue is the air quality. In the summer there are frequent smog warnings and you are basically told to stay inside unless you have to go out. I had terrible allergies and sinus problems while living there. I know it was the air quality because almost immediately after I moved to Oregon my problems went away.

I think there are absolutely way too many people in Southern Ca. It takes 2-3 hours to get to a 10-mile location most of the time. Even at night... My step-kids and several friends live there and they hate it. They continually tell me that it is getting worse with each passing year.

Finding a job is another problem. Jobs are hard to come by everywhere but read the statistics on California. The state is in a heap of trouble financially.

There are gangs and bad neighborhoods everywhere. You can be in a nice neighborhood and drive a half mile down the street and you will be in a bad neighborhood. For example, at the beginning of my marriage my husband and I lived in a really nice apartment. One night while we were sitting on the patio we heard gunshot. My husband ran down the street to try and help. A teenage boy was dead in the street as a result of a drive by shooting. It is very hard to find a decent place to live unless you are making a huge amount of money.

So again this is my suggestion. If you have to move there do your homework, talk to a lot of people and weigh your options carefully. If you are rich move to a beach house in Malibu, Laguna Beach, Newport, etc. Stay on the beach and don't venture too far inland. Also, there are very nice places along the coast just south of Irvine and nice places in Irvine and Costa Mesa, but then again you will be paying a high price to live there.

And also, home school your children or put them in the best private school you can find... again if you can afford it. Between the gangs and all the other problems it just wasn't worth it to me.

Good luck to you... Again, I hope my honesty will help you in making a decision whether or not to move to California and where to live. At least if you go there you won't be thinking it is just like the movies or a popular television series. I am just sharing my experience with you. Have a great week/weekend.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:38 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
my uncle in memphis says huck, living in california is like living with a beautiful woman that has a headache all the time.
example just had to sell my $60,000 BMW bek people kept plowing into it when it was parked on the street over and over and over.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
just had to sell my $60,000 BMW bek people kept plowing into it when it was parked on the street over and over and over.
I've lived in California 46 of my 50 years and that has never happened.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:00 PM

371 posts, read 816,688 times
Quote:
but when an English speaking woman goes to the grocery store and can not find something and nobody speaks english, I have a problem with that.
There are very, very,very few grocery stores in OC where nobody speaks english, and i would endeavor to say that no one looking to move to OC and searching for info on this board will be moving to the neighborhoods. Were these stores in Irvine and/or Anahiem Hills? If so, that does not seem credible.

Quote:
Another issue is the air quality. In the summer there are frequent smog warnings and you are basically told to stay inside unless you have to go out.
This is patently false. Is there smog in OC. Yes. Is it really bad. No. Does it bother some people with alergys/asthma. Yes. Are there "frequent smog warnings" where people are told to stay indoors. Absolutly not.

Quote:
There are gangs and bad neighborhoods everywhere.
Again, this is patently false and another mischaractorization. Are there gangs in OC? Yes. Are they "everywhere?" Not even close. I would say that 75% of OC is pretty much gang free. Other then Santa Ana, parts of Anahiem, parts of Buena Park, Westminsiter, and Garden Grove, you can pretty much forget about worrying about gangs. And, other then a few isolated parts of San Juan Capitstrano, south county is gang free, for all intents and purposes.

Quote:
And also, home school your children or put them in the best private school you can find... again if you can afford it. Between the gangs and all the other problems it just wasn't worth it to me.
Another mischaractorization. Are you trying to say that there are no good schools in OC? You lived in Irvine, for heavon's sake, where some of the best public schools in the state/nation reside. I would say that at least 50% of the county's public schools are good enough where private school should only be consisered by the highest strung parents. That's a pretty good number for an urban area. And, again, if you live in south county, there is a 95% chance that you live in a neighborhood with great public schools.

Here is my problem with the OP: it's not that there isn't some kernal of truth to some of what she says, it's that it is delivered in a broad and exagerated fashion. Also, its not as if you have to live in Newport Beach or Laguna Beach to avoid these things too. Try Tustin, or Huntington Beach, or Lake Forest. OC is not cheap, but you can live in a decent neighborhood, with good schools and no gangs -- and not be a millionaire.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,141,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
No, I'm from Capistrano Beach in South OC. Fontucky is an old pejorative for Fontana. Something to do with the hicks and red necks that flocked here to work in the steel mill during WW2.
I thought you were originally Los Angeles.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,799,875 times
Quote:
By the way, have you ever wondered why such a large place like Orange County does not have a professional football team anymore?? Interestingly this is what I found out.. When L.A. and Anaheim were home to the Raiders and Rams they didn't make enough money because they didn't have enough loyal and supportive fans. So basically both teams packed up and left... Very sad that an area with so much status and wealth does not have any pro teams. I guess everyone is too busy in California so they have better things to do than sit at a football game???
It could also be that a large percentage of the wealthy residents of Orange County are ethnically Asian - Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean...I don't think they are very much into American Football.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,799,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Just an FYI, the median home price in OC is no longer $500K

Homes are much cheaper than that now and I suspect will drop even more. There are a number of homes sold in the more "blue collar" type areas where homes are selling at under $350K and even some under $300K.

I had seen the comment about needing $500K to buy a home in OC and that is not even close to true.

As to my comments on a house in Fullerton and needing to buy at $350K or less.........

Simply, if you are happy with a large condo, there are many many many available in OC for under $350K. Many.

Anyway, point is that real estate price probably should not be your gripe any longer.
It's about $500k if you want to buy a decent home (3bd SFR, 1800sqft or so) in a decent neighborhood (safe, decent schools etc.). Who cares what the median is, I go by the searches I do all around North OC and South OC and the selection for homes below $500k is very thin. I just searched on Redfin for homes in Fullerton and most decent houses (that didn't look like they had been bombed) were in the $520-570k range.

Some here in OC may consider a 3bd SFR, 1800sqft home "luxury living" but I consider it a starter home that should be affordable to the median household income.

Property taxes itself on a $500k home will be $520/month, add in $250 HOA and possibly a $200/month maintenance or other taxes, close to $1000/mo JUST in taxes and fees!! Don't forget that many of these homes are older houses and may need repairs - those can result in huge ongoing expenses...the truth is that most people are financial dimwits - they forget to take the TOTAL cost of ownership into account, which is usually much higher than the PITI which they are sold on. Predictably all these people are defaulting in droves.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,967,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
I thought you were originally Los Angeles.
I was, age 0 to 5.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:38 PM

124 posts, read 334,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgonegreen View Post
Moulton Niguel Water District just sent out a notice to us that says on July 1st they are cutting back water supplies again...I think it said another 20% reduction! Our water has already gotten to hard (high mineral content) in the last 9 months from them stopping ground filtration...and now they are cutting off more water. Our water bill is only $20/month as we don't use very much ($10 of that is sewer)...but for many other people, I think this will really affect them...next it will be water rationing!
Since I'm moving to SoCal (Irvine area) I'm curious about the water issue.
And could someone explain to me why everyone has cement backyards???? Is it because of the water issue? I find that hard to believe since the yards are only around 5 feet by 8 feet! (Kidding, but just barely)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County