Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:21 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times

Advertisements

I'm a single male, recent college graduate.. I just need a rough idea how living on 30000 a year in Orange County would be like..

Job market is pretty bad right now and I don't have much work experience.. although this is pretty much my dream job and career (disregarding the salary)

I'm a fairly disciplined spender.. I've gotten by on barely 1000/mo or less in SF while in college. I plan to spend $400-800 a month to rent a room on Craigslist and I cook most of the time (eating out about 10 times a month.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'm a single male, recent college graduate.. I just need a rough idea how living on 30000 a year in Orange County would be like..

Job market is pretty bad right now and I don't have much work experience.. although this is pretty much my dream job and career (disregarding the salary)

I'm a fairly disciplined spender.. I've gotten by on barely 1000/mo or less in SF while in college. I plan to spend $400-800 a month to rent a room on Craigslist and I cook most of the time (eating out about 10 times a month.)

Based on what you wrote, yes, as I can see rooms for rent in the $400-$800 range.

Room For Rent (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/roo/1590951290.html - broken link)

As I was scanning, here's one that rents for $50/hour - in case you need it at lunch time or something....

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/roo/1590551490.html (broken link)

Old 02-08-2010, 10:28 AM

7 posts, read 17,649 times
You will need to be VERY disciplined in your spending, making $30K a year. Most rooms rent for $700 - $800 a month, so I'd be a bit cautious of what you'll get at $300 per month. Remember 25% of your salary will be taken out for taxes, and if you can save 10%, it doesn't leave much for car payments, insurance, food, rent, etc.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Lots of people live on that or less. You may have to share a bedroom with several people and not eat out much, but it can be done. You could also sleep in your car since it is usually pretty warm. There is an area near Black Star Canyon where they used to let people live in tents, camper shells or anything (even a thatch hut) for a very minimal fee. I do not think they have any running water out there though. In fact, that place may have been shut down, but there are certainly others.

We met some Asutrailians who were living in a tent on top of the roof of a building next to our apartment in Balboa. Heat from the building tends to go up through the roof, so they were able to stay reasonably warm. They bought some extra blankets/comforters from salvation army and they had nice sleeping bags. They ahd fabulous ocean views, and we usually allowed them to come and shower once in a while, or use the toilet. We met them when they climbed in our upstairs window one evening when we were having a party. We became friends for a couple of years. They had to take their tent down during the day so it would not be discovered an when they were not in it, it tneded to blow away during high winds. However, they just collapsed the tnet and left it ont he roof and then set it back up at night. They were ogne a lot, so I assume that they made friends whee they could stay some nights.

THere are lots of options avialable to you if you are flexible. If you do not get an apartment, what you might want to do is join a cheap health club so you have a place to shower.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 AM

916 posts, read 3,701,263 times
Quote:

get a roomate or two and you'll be fine. Plenty of recent college grads live on 30k.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:13 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Get a girlfriend that works, get another friend and his girlfriend that work, all of you move into a nice 2 bedroom apartment in Huntington Beach. Tear each others heads off living together, break up and move out. Totally doable and guaranteed to work!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Get a girlfriend that works, get another friend and his girlfriend that work, all of you move into a nice 2 bedroom apartment in Huntington Beach. Tear each others heads off living together, break up and move out. Totally doable and guaranteed to work!
Either that or get a swinger's thing going.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 11:18 AM..

Old 02-08-2010, 11:32 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Either that or get a swinger's thing going.
Oh that happens regardless when 2 couples are living together...although a swingers "prenup" would cause less drama.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:

you are going to rent a room on Craigslist? How to you rent a room on a list? Sorry, I am being a smart A@@..

I am a little confused, are you saying you have been offered a job at $30,000? Have you considered what your take home pay would be? I am willing to bet there is nothing, no matter what you see on Craigslist for $400.00 a month, I don't care what kind of a room it is. $800 is more like it. It looks like you will clear, after taxes somewhere around $1800 per month. if you spend $800 that gives you about a $1000 for food, insurance, other car expenses and entertainment..It is up to you to decide if you can do it. Do you have any other expenses, like Credit cards or car payments?

Nita

Old 02-08-2010, 01:25 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
Anyone care for some white zinfandel...straight from the bottle or off our hot nubile bods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County