Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:17 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Tucson View Post
Born and raised in La Habra.
Spent 50's and 60's in La Habra.
Spent 70's and 80's in Fullerton and Anahiem.

I Remember..Driving South on Harbor blvd and seeing Disneyland on my right and agricultural fields across the street on my left.

I Remember..Driving South on Harbor blvd through Costa Mesa and seeing nothing but agricultural fields.

I Remember..Going to the Corn Festival at El-centro Park, close to Cypress and La Habra Blvd in La Habra, with all of the carnival rides and games, and still some of the best corn on the cob I have ever had.

I Remember..Going to La Habra High School for my Freshman year, then having to go to Sonora High School for my Sophmore year. Sonora just opened and all they had were Freshmans and Sophmores. We lived closer to Sonora.

I Remember..Getting off from work near Kramer and Orangethorpe in Anahiem, driving my 68 VW Bug South to T-Street in San Clemente, body surfing for a couple of hours, then driving back to Fullerton to my apartment. This was when there wasn't a lot of traffic on I-5.

I Remember..When driving North on Harbor blvd, it took a large 90 degree turn to the West and it became Whittier blvd. At the turn, there was a miniature golf course with 15 cent (it might have been 35 cent) hamburgers. The penny arcade had 10 cent pin ball games.

I Remember..Buying T-Bone steaks at the Alpha Beta on Brookhurst and Orangethrope in Fullerton for $1.25.

I Remember..Coming home from Viet Nam and seeing people in the airport look at me with disgust and dispare. Some people looked away and some called me names.

I Remember..Going to my cousins house and riding our dirt bikes on the construction sites that would eventually become the Pomona Freeway.

I Remember..Going to the Cellar restaurant in downtown Laguna Beach on Tuesday nights (it might have been Thursday) for 75 cent Spaghetti night. The Cellar was a upscale restaurant with high priced dinners. On Tuesdays, you could find long haired hippie types, surfer dudes, sitting next to grown ups in suits and ties.

I Remember..Driving my Honda motorcycle down to San Juan Capistrano on I-5, and taking Ortega Hwy over to Lake Elsinore. At the top of the mountain was the Look Out taveran. On weekends, the parking lot was full of custom bikes of all kinds. People went there to check out the bikes, watch the hang gliders take off from the parking lot and sail down to Lake Elsinore, and of course, for the Mountain Burgers and cold beers.

I Remember..Seeing Stan Musial play at Dodger Stadium, along with Sandy Kofax, Don Drysdale, Juan Marichal, Johnny Roseboro, Frank Howard, Willie McCovey, Willie Mays and the Alou brothers.

I remember.. Seeing the Rams play at Anaheim Stadium.
Ouch. I knew this happened, but I cannot imagine how it would actually feel if the soldier did nothing wrong in Vietnam, i.e. no Mai Lai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,946,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Tucson View Post
I Remember..Coming home from Viet Nam and seeing people in the airport look at me with disgust and dispare. Some people looked away and some called me names.

I Remember..Seeing Stan Musial play at Dodger Stadium, along with Sandy Kofax, Don Drysdale, Juan Marichal, Johnny Roseboro, Frank Howard, Willie McCovey, Willie Mays and the Alou brothers.

I remember.. Seeing the Rams play at Anaheim Stadium.
When I returned from Viet Nam, I was ignored, which was fine by me.

I remember seeing nearly all those ballplayers, as well as the Rams, play at the L.A. Coliseum.

The Angels? I saw both the PCL Angels and the AL Angels play at Wrigley Field in south L.A.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,538 times
I am pretty certain that I saw Nitty Gritty Dirt Band at a coffee house in Orange, California in the mid sixties, also so Pat Paulsen there on another occasion. I think maybe he owned the place. Can't recall the name of it.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,538 times
I graduated in 1959 from Santa Ana High with Medley in my class. He and his first partner, Don Fiduccia, sang at Jon's Black Derby in Santa Ana. He and I took our draft physicals the same day. I passed, he did not. I spent two years watching the Righteous Bros on Shindig. I had a girlfriend named Arlene from Anaheim HS for a while, knew her friend Priscilla too.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:33 AM

145 posts, read 111,180 times
Some pretty awesome photos in here. Hard to believe it used to look like this.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:53 AM

1 posts, read 972 times
Dad took us Mom and 7 kids to Disneyland 3 days after it opened. Still have black white pictures. Up till late 60's I remember paying $1.00 to get into Disneyland. Usually went Friday or Saturday nights, live music for dancing in Tomorrow-land. Great place to girls, have fun, and they always shared their ticket rides. Visit last year 2016 first time 25 yrs, expect to pay approx $125 or more for all ages. If you live in Southern Calif you can purchase local at great prices. First job was at Knotts in the restaurant (chicken house) 18yrs old, cleaning dishes. Knotts was free to get into, great place to meet and date. Retails Clerk Hall fantastic music for (1960's) dancing, Righteous Bros and many more. Live in Northern Calif now, but visit Orange Cty at least twice a year (family).

Old 08-29-2017, 07:57 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Ouch. I knew this happened, but I cannot imagine how it would actually feel if the soldier did nothing wrong in Vietnam, i.e. no Mai Lai.
A friend was a Medic in Vietnam (Army) and when he came home a really pretty girl spit on him and used really vulgar language. Stupid people then and now.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
When I returned from Viet Nam, I was ignored, which was fine by me.

I remember seeing nearly all those ballplayers, as well as the Rams, play at the L.A. Coliseum.

The Angels? I saw both the PCL Angels and the AL Angels play at Wrigley Field in south L.A.
As a kid in Fullerton I could watch the Rams practice in Amerige park and one player gave my dad a helmet for me.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckuhn View Post
Dad took us Mom and 7 kids to Disneyland 3 days after it opened. Still have black white pictures. Up till late 60's I remember paying $1.00 to get into Disneyland. Usually went Friday or Saturday nights, live music for dancing in Tomorrow-land. Great place to girls, have fun, and they always shared their ticket rides. Visit last year 2016 first time 25 yrs, expect to pay approx $125 or more for all ages. If you live in Southern Calif you can purchase local at great prices. First job was at Knotts in the restaurant (chicken house) 18yrs old, cleaning dishes. Knotts was free to get into, great place to meet and date. Retails Clerk Hall fantastic music for (1960's) dancing, Righteous Bros and many more. Live in Northern Calif now, but visit Orange Cty at least twice a year (family).
My dad knew the guy running Disneyland when it opened and we got free tickets the very first week. Later as a kid I would go and in the parking lot ask people leaving for any tickets (A to E) they had and then just pay the $1.00 admission and have a lot of free rides.

Not any more.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpistan View Post
Some pretty awesome photos in here. Hard to believe it used to look like this.

Isn't that Costa Mesa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County