Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:44 PM

10 posts, read 29,632 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving from seattle to cali, not sure SF or OC. cost of living is not much of a concern for me, I'm a futures trader making good money. Main things I'm looking for are superb air quality, beautiful landscapes, weather etc. High end restraunts is also a must, I'm used to Chicago restraunts hehe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 11:02 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,053 times
Since cost of living is no concern for you, I think SF is more what you are looking for. The air quality, landscape and restaurants are top-notch. I prefer SoCal weather as opposed to the cold up north, but the sun does shine brightly there as well, day to day.

OC has a few high dining establishment, but no where near the quantity that SF has. (Although in quality, I'd pit a couple of our high-dining establishments against anything in SF).

Old 04-25-2007, 12:36 AM

77 posts, read 632,428 times
Both have great weather,OC can get hot in the summer especially if ur not in a beach city ,SF is kina of windy .

If you have kids stick to OC...it is a very family-oriented county,if not then maybe SF has more to offer regarding social/night/cultural life and cuisines .

I would recommend SF to younger ppl ,and Newport Coast to middle age ppl ,but that's only how I see it ,I might be wrong .

This is a good site where you can compare any 2 cities :http://www.moving.com/Find_a_Place/Compare2Cities/

Old 04-25-2007, 12:50 AM

thanks for the sugestions guy. I'll look into SF some more, I'm only 22, no family/baggage

Old 04-25-2007, 01:59 AM

75 posts, read 94,208 times
I've been thinking about OC vs SF for a bit too. I'm curious if there are any areas in the SF area that are a bit like South Orange County. Not in weather of course, but rather business environment and the general "feel" of things.

Also, acerbits why are you moving from Seattle?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaily View Post
I've been thinking about OC vs SF for a bit too. I'm curious if there are any areas in the SF area that are a bit like South Orange County. Not in weather of course, but rather business environment and the general "feel" of things.

Also, acerbits why are you moving from Seattle?
coffee town just doesn't suit me well

Old 04-25-2007, 09:41 AM

160 posts, read 975,555 times
Suggest OC for you, then. SF gets cold, windy and wet! Hardly ever rains in OC. Weather is way better here. And some excellent restaurants...enough to keep you dining out for a long time.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:22 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaily View Post

Not at all. The Marina, imo, is the only SF neighborhood with a corporate South County "feel." With that said, many in San Francisco will make fun of you for living there. It's not considered that "cool" there. In fact, a lot of San Franciscan's call it "corporate," "stuck-up," materialistic," greedy, and "pretentious."

Here's a great thread(to shed some light) about The Marina neighborhood of SF (Look in it for where they compare it to the OC:

http://www.yelp.com/topic/-AT_hwuygU369Kx8adn4kQ

Old 04-25-2007, 12:27 PM

hmmmm, truely hard to decide. In SF I'd probly get a higher end luxury condo, while in OC probably a ocean front place. How long does it take to commute from Newport beach to LA/Beverly hills area? alot of my favourite restraunts are there.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:44 PM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbits View Post
hmmmm, truely hard to decide. In SF I'd probly get a higher end luxury condo, while in OC probably a ocean front place. How long does it take to commute from Newport beach to LA/Beverly hills area? alot of my favourite restraunts are there.
You are midway between San Diego and Los Angeles. It is roughly one hour to LA(in light traffic). Orange County really has some excellent dining. I recommend you come visit both cities and compare the businesses in SF to OC before deciding.

An oceanfront place in Orange County starts at about $3 million for an average living quarters. You could buy a decent townhouse or home in San Francisco for that same price.

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 04-25-2007 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County