Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 PM

25 posts, read 78,577 times

Advertisements

Hey can anyone give me some good bars and restaurants in the newport beach area. I am moving there in 2 weeks and I want to get a good feel for the area. Nothing fancy just real down to earth chill places, preferably right on the beach. thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Age preference of fellow patrons?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 AM

I am moving to Orange county for work and I really dont know people, since I am 30 years old I would say in the 28 to 33 age range. thanks,

Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Near the pier there is a hoppin' (loud) place.....always filled with young adults drinking beer in the evenings when we occasionally take walks on the sidewalk along the sand.....sorry, don't know the name of it....it's near Charlie's Chili which is right by the pier... (Charlie's Chili is a good place, not expensive).

Old 11-08-2009, 04:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I could have given you a really complete list several years ago. This is a great place for bards and resturuants. Unfortuneately, places go out of business and are replaced (or not) every coupldd of years. Now Iam beyond thebar scene and with so many kids, eating out is limited to less expensive places (of wheich there are pretty much none in Newport). I will include what I believe to be still open. I cannot cover new places.

In the Balboa fun zone area, there is Newoport Landing. It is ont the bay. A great place for a drink and appetizers. Try a "Big Kahuna" but do not taclke more than one if you are going to drive anywhere at any time that evening. Three of them might put you in the hospital. On the other side (beach side) there is a place that replaced the jazz bar that supposedly inted the drink "Adios M.F'er" I cannot remember thename of the place, but it has a new name now. I am not sure if it still has bands or not. My favorite was always the Balboa Saloon which is in town just behind the fun zone. Mostly becuase tourists did not tend to go there, mostly locals.

For food there is Rubys onthe pier. Oppassos (Thai food), Newport Landing (expensive and overpriced food), the Balboa Pvaillion (overpriced for the quality of food, but the atmosphere makes up for it). There is (was?) a place on Balboa Blvd near the funs zone that serves wild game on certain nights. I tried, Elk, Ostrich, Caribou, and someother wierd meat. It was all pretty good except the Ostrich.

My favorite place of all (Bubbles) is long gone. Last time I looked, it had not been replaced. There is (was) a place called "Class of 47" It was msotly older people. I only went there once. It is not not ont he water on either side of the peninsula.

On Balboa Island there is a decent place for drinks of Dinna on the corner of the road that you turn on to go to the bridge. I think it might be called Colonies or something like that (or I may be completely wrong about the name). I found that place to be usually boring, but decent food and drinks.

Down by the newport pier there are two really good places. One is a hard rock bar (Mutts?) I just cannot remember the names. Just explore both areas they are fun places anyway.

On the Lido peninsula you will find Crab Cooker (food), an Irish Pub (Mularkys I think) and a branch of Hassans (if it is still in business). There are/were several other club type bars and a Spagetti factory resturuant, but I do nto know if they are still there.

Along resturuant row are many great resturuants and bars. This is the section of PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) from Newport Boulevard to Corona Del MAr. These resturuants also constantly change nmaes and styles. They are on water (the harbor), but not on the beach. There used to be a Club that focussed on University of Michigan in its decor (Go Blue!) THat even had a U-M tugboat. There wa an itialian place Villa Nova that was good food, but pricey and the staff was really snobby. Anyway, this is a good area to exlpore.

If you like higher end chain resturaunts, Fashion Island had some decent places. My favorit visit to Fashion Island is/was going to see a movie int he giant theater (make sure it is the big one, or it is just an overpriced movie) and having a light dinner and drinks at the Irish pub next to the theater. Go early, That pub gets cram packed on weekends. Sometimes you have to wait an hour for a table.

In Costa Mesa there is a great place called Goat Hill Tavern. They have something like 100 beers on tap. Also in Costa MEsa is a neat place called Zoobies (if still there). They used to have prime rib night on thursdays. It is an expereince, fodd is served cafeteria styal and you sit with a bunch of rowdy bikers on long wooden tables You just share with other people. It is forced socialization. Again not sure if they are still in business.

If you find some place that you like, go there a lot and become a regualr. It may not be there next year. The turnover is astounding.

One way to cheat the high prices, we always called McDonalds on the hill. Go to McDonalds on PCH just past resturuant row. Behind McDonalds there is a road that winds up into the bluffs. Along that roadd is a community theater building that is usually unoccupied. You can park there and eat your McDonalds with a million dollar view of Balboa and the ocean.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Thank you for all the info and advice. I will definitely look into much of what you said. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County