Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 36,679 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the horrible rotten egg smell that's engulfing the neighborhoods of Mission Viejo? My neighbor seems to think it is from a sewer link break that has been running into the Oso reservoir - all her kids have been sick and I have one with a respiratory infection. SMWD are being very vague about it, claiming that it is an algae problem???

Does anyone know if this is a serious problem? Is our water unsafe?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 10:20 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustmoon View Post
Does anyone know what the horrible rotten egg smell that's engulfing the neighborhoods of Mission Viejo? My neighbor seems to think it is from a sewer link break that has been running into the Oso reservoir - all her kids have been sick and I have one with a respiratory infection. SMWD are being very vague about it, claiming that it is an algae problem???

Does anyone know if this is a serious problem? Is our water unsafe?
It could be hydrogen sulfide from this source: Smoke from O.C. landfill? Yes, but just venting - Green OC - OCRegister.com

Old 11-01-2009, 04:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
I just saw this today:

Algae bloom causes bad smell in Mission Viejo area - Sciencedude - OCRegister.com

Old 11-01-2009, 05:52 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
From the Santa Margarita Water District:

"The recent cold weather spell has affected the Upper Oso Reservoir. During the summer the lake splits into two layers of water. The top layer is warmer during the summer and maintains adequate levels of oxygen, but at the expense of the bottom of lake. The bottom of the lake has cooler water and stays isolated with low levels of oxygen. During autumn, the upper layer of water gets cold, and eventually sinks to the bottom, raising the bottom water. This year the recent cold spell came with strong winds that mixed the water suddenly creating conditions that caused an algae bloom which used up the oxygen which resulted in odors. The District has responded by adding additional equipment in the lake to help return the oxygen levels to normal. The situation does not pose any health risks and the reservoir should return to normal within the next several days."

Upper Oso Reservoir is at the 241 tollroad at El Toro Rd behind the Painted Trails community (just imagine how bad it is right there. Some houses back up to the reservoir).

Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Upper Oso Reservoir is at the 241 tollroad at El Toro Rd behind the Painted Trails community (just imagine how bad it is right there. Some houses back up to the reservoir).

I was at Melinda Heights Elementary in RSM on Friday (pretty darn close to the reservoir) and I couldn't believe how bad the smell was there!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:41 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
i was in MV this morning and didn't notice any funny smells

Old 11-02-2009, 12:03 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i was in MV this morning and didn't notice any funny smells
The reservoir is located in the upper right most corner of Mission Viejo closest to Saddleback Mountain. South Mission Viejo near like the Shops at Mission Viejo is around 6 miles from the reservoir so the smell isn't really there. It is mainly neighborhoods in like a one mile radius around the reservoir.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 AM

10 posts, read 92,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

yup, once again a massive coverup , i mean what is the agenda in irvine/south orange county? to turn a blind eye to important issues related to residents health & safety in order to sustain property values? covering up this vital information is criminal and the local powers that be need to answer for it. what is it going to take to get the local news to run these stories to get public awareness? and suspend the cats stuck in trees type stories? 2 days ago they were running a story about a woman who lost her wedding ring in a large pumpkin full of halloween candy who cares and it was the 3rd lead story!

i was reading an article in the ocweekly a couple of years ago: Orange County News - Blowing Smoke - page 1 about how this irvine landfill was the likely source of the Santiago Canyon Wild Fire, this landfill is very close to the landfill in your story from the the register. i am a resident of this area for close to 8 yrs now and the air around here gets this rancid smell like burning tires/skunk/chemicals etc. at all hours throughout the day. the governing body responsible for overseeing the cleanup of these toxic landfills need to act soon or another catastrophic environmental event will occur without warning and then we will see a drastic reduction in the beloved property values.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb22 View Post
i was reading an article in the ocweekly a couple of years ago: Orange County News - Blowing Smoke - page 1 about how this irvine landfill was the likely source of the Santiago Canyon Wild Fire
That start was confirmed as arson.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:37 PM

10 posts, read 92,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That start was confirmed as arson.

if i have learned anything from local oc government is that their information/confirmations are taken with a large grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County