Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,796,338 times

Advertisements

Almost all singles I have come across are living in 2 bedrooms with a roommate. For the last 10 years I have always lived solo in a 1 bdrm bearing the full cost of the rent. Any others in my same position? I do like the freedom of having the whole place to myself and not having anyone else to drive me crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 10:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
I'd heard too many horror stories about roommates from hell and wanted to avoid it so I chose to rent a 1 bedroom apartment for myself. I enjoyed my privacy and the security of knowing that I could keep a roof over my own head without depending on another person who might move out on a moment's notice, leaving me scrambling to find another roommate or trying to pay for the whole thing myself.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
I have 7 room mates so I have no idea what it would be like to live alone. Now if I could get 6 of those room mates to kick in some cash into the household. Just kidding they are our kids. My wife and I work, but the kids, well you get that.

To tell you the truth though, I have never lived alone or with a roommate. Went from living at home to getting married and that was that. The fact is that I have never in my life had my own room.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 PM

88 posts, read 206,489 times
I have always lived alone ever since my 3rd year of college. I used to live in a one-bedroom by myself (which was great), but now, after moving out to CA, I live in a studio by myself mainly because of the high rents out here.

I like living alone and not having to deal with roommates.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have 7 room mates so I have no idea what it would be like to live alone. Now if I could get 6 of those room mates to kick in some cash into the household. Just kidding they are our kids. My wife and I work, but the kids, well you get that.

To tell you the truth though, I have never lived alone or with a roommate. Went from living at home to getting married and that was that. The fact is that I have never in my life had my own room.
My condolences! I was an only child. Had my own room. At a point in my military service I had my own room in the BOQ. Then I married and had children. But then I divorced and had my own place for a few years. Now I'm married again.

That's where it ends, until I do!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:24 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,255,324 times
I don't see anything unusual about being single and renting your own place, in fact that's the opposite of unusual.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My condolences! I was an only child. Had my own room. At a point in my military service I had my own room in the BOQ. Then I married and had children. But then I divorced and had my own place for a few years. Now I'm married again.

That's where it ends, until I do!
That is OK. I am alright with it. Besides the room mate that lives in my room is one hawt little Mexican chick. (Better not let her hear me talk like that, She will kick my back side.) I do love my wife though. Hoping when all the kids are gone in 15, 18, or maybe 20 years to finally get my own room. lol

Old 03-21-2010, 09:27 PM

24 posts, read 52,032 times
I've been living in CA with 2 roommates for just over a year now. When I originally moved out here for my career, I didn't know anybody. Living with roommates was a good way for me to meet people in a new area. I'm currently living in Irvine, have my own room with private bath. I'd love to live by myself, and would if it wasn't for high rent prices coupled with my high student loan payments.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:50 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,976,185 times
I have my sister living with me but she is gone about 1/3 of the month. My girlfriend only stays over for a handful of days a month. I have a 4 bedroom home all to myself many days a month. Its nice but after a few days, it can become lonely especially if you are home for long periods of time.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:43 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,255,324 times
If you can find a good room mate, renting a 2 bedroom makes a lot of sense. You'll save money, and won't be burning up so much money to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County