Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:29 AM

13 posts, read 19,555 times

Advertisements

I am really excited to say that soon I will be living in Fabulous So Cal!
I just finalized a job offer in Huntington Beach and I only have a few weeks before my move.

I've been checking a lot of rentals in South OC and North OC
( Not sure I understand the difference.. Even though I read the yelp discussion on it. )

And I've been offered a apartment near an Ikea in Costa Mesa. It's 1 Bedroom ... 850 sq ft? washer / dryer and fireplace for
$ 1,400.00 And, they will allow me to have the slobbery mess that is my dog.

I think? ... that's a good deal? I've been looking all over OC and it seems it's pretty hard to get a place for less than 1 k.
I'm handling most of the details on line so it's hard to get a really good idea of what the place is like.

So.. any advice for a little fish who will be soon swimming in a big pond?
I'm really excited but, I'm sure I'm going to make a lot of adjustments.. any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, and if any of you are familiar with the costa mesa / ikea area, would I be paying too much for the apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 07:21 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCatherine View Post
they will allow me to have the slobbery mess that is my dog.
What was it Grouch Marx said?

"I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member"

Old 03-07-2010, 11:15 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Where is that apartment? Ikea is in a border area where you don't don't to live too far north of it. Are you talking about the apartments at Fairview and South Coast Dr, right against the freeway? I looked there once and they're decent bu forget making a left out of there. I'm not too far from there and I'm paying $1350 for a 2/2 that's about that size but no washer, dryer, or fireplace. You're not going to have much luck finding anything under $1000/mo unless you live in Santa Ana.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:53 PM

If I remember right, It's off of Susan Street.
I thought 1400 was a little high, but, what do I know? I'm not familiar with OC.
And, Actually - yeah! The place is on Fairview! ... great detective work . haha.
The woman really sold me on how close the Fwy / mall/ stores / cinema was.
Is the area pretty nice? I might just accept the offer until I can get there and find a new place when i know the area better.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:02 PM

Yeah its a decent area. That complex is about half way between two grocery stores (Ralphs at Fairview/MacArthur and Stater Bros at Fairview/Baker), there's a big Target at Harbor just south of the 405, freeway access is good even if traffic is terrible, and of course its just about walking distance from South Coast Plaza and the other centers surrounding it. There's a million little restaurant around there too. See if you can gen a unit in the middle of the complex as opposed to the edges. Fairview, South Coast Drive, and the 405 all have a lot of traffic and I wouldn't want to back right up to any of them. The 405 might be the quietest part to back up to since I believe there is a sound wall and you'd be farther from the road than you would be backing up directly to either of the other two.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:11 PM

Good to know- not that I couldn't handle a few hobos.. after all I am from the bay!

also, someone told me being near the beach is problematic, lots of traffic, noise and rowdy people.
When I look on the place on line, it's not too close to the beach but I see newport beach is nearby.
Should I expect any of those problems?

Old 03-07-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCatherine View Post
Good to know- not that I couldn't handle a few hobos.. after all I am from the bay!

also, someone told me being near the beach is problematic, lots of traffic, noise and rowdy people.
When I look on the place on line, it's not too close to the beach but I see newport beach is nearby.
Should I expect any of those problems?
No, you'd be far enough from the beach that you'd never know it was there without a map. When people talk about the hassles of living near the beach, they mean right on the beach or maybe within a mile tops.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
You got over a huge hurdle finding a place in OC that allows a big dog. (I'm assuming the dog is big because you said "slobbery")

Actually, finding a place that allows any dog is a victory these days.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:50 PM

yeah, A lot of places seemed open to the idea of conducting all the business over the phone / via the web but as soon as i mentioned my dog- the whole attitude changed. she's not marmaduke size or anything but she's no chihuahua.

What is the market for the area? is it really in demand? I'm really hoping I can talk them down but I'm so enamored with the place, I'm afraid I'll let it slip and they won't negotiate with me.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:21 PM

Apartment units are sitting vacant longer and rents are slowly coming down. I don't know if that translates into being more open to things like dogs, especially at the big corporate owned chains like the one you first wrote about. They tend to be the least flexible and the most likely to stick it to you. The complex I'm at is only about a mile or so from this the one you talked to but its owned by a guy that owns a few complexes locally and has been pretty easy to work with. He likes to keep the rents down and turnover low instead of jacking them up to extract every last dollar out of the place. Places like this are where you'll have your best chances of getting in with your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County