Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times

Advertisements

Before you diverse, altruistic, high minded, morally superior Oregonians all jump on the bandwagon of bashing the OP, please try walking a mile in the OP's shoes.
There is more than a single side to every story.
If you choose to ignore the fact that there is an illegal problem, and foolishly believe Oregon is immune to it because we are all so enlightened and accepting here, you are living in an unrealistic little bubble.
And not all of Oregon is as liberal as you think.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwine? View Post
Hi, my best freind and I want to move to Oregon. I have noticed the state seems to welcome illegals, probably until the problems really start happening, like they have here in Ca. I am NOT racist! I welcome LEGAL immigrants!! But have seen too many problems being I live in A city that has been overrun by them. We are a little on the conservative side. Anyway, is there a small/mid-size city/town hopefully near the country that has the least amount of illegals? We just don't want to deal with the gangs/trash/little Tijajuans/beat up taco trucks anymore,lol! Seriously! My freind works for a large copier/business machine company. I do video editing. Sooooo, hope we can find a place! Also want to avoid the coast.

Since you live in California perhaps you could make a trip up here. Do you have any vacation time coming up? I would come up and see for yourself how the area rates for you. I wouldn't use the internet to make your choice on Oregon based on your criteria. Really any type of criteria. People need to see for themself as everyone has their own opinions on places. It would be nice if you could receive the info you want but its just not worth it. Get a map and look at different communities and regions in Oregon. Visit those areas that you might like to live and check them out. When you feel comfortable with your findings do as much research on the area that you can. Talk with people, visit the stores in areas you might like to live. Do crime ratings on the area. It may take a while but it would be better than moving to a place and find it isn't what you want. Definitely if you need employment do not move any place without a job in hand. Good Luck.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 AM

639 posts, read 1,599,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Before you diverse, altruistic, high minded, morally superior Oregonians all jump on the bandwagon of bashing the OP, please try walking a mile in the OP's shoes.
There is more than a single side to every story.
If you choose to ignore the fact that there is an illegal problem, and foolishly believe Oregon is immune to it because we are all so enlightened and accepting here, you are living in an unrealistic little bubble.
And not all of Oregon is as liberal as you think.
#1. I agree that folks should come here legally.
#2. I agree that illegal immigration is a problem in the US.

BUT.... just how do you suppose you are going to tell just be looking if people are here illegally or not???!? Perhaps some people will just ASSUME that most mexicans are here illegally. THAT'S the part that I have a problem with: you can't just ASSUME that the hispanic part of town is full of "illegals".

Old 06-17-2010, 10:04 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
#1. I agree that folks should come here legally.
#2. I agree that illegal immigration is a problem in the US.

BUT.... just how do you suppose you are going to tell just be looking if people are here illegally or not???!? Perhaps some people will just ASSUME that most mexicans are here illegally. THAT'S the part that I have a problem with: you can't just ASSUME that the hispanic part of town is full of "illegals".
The latest numbers are over 13 million illegal hispanics in the US. Thats a real burden on any state.
You can estimate approx 1 in 15-18 are illegal. I am sure no one has a problam with legal immigrants anywhere in America.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:26 AM

639 posts, read 1,599,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
The latest numbers are over 13 million illegal hispanics in the US. Thats a real burden on any state.
You can estimate approx 1 in 15-18 are illegal. I am sure no one has a problam with legal immigrants anywhere in America.
so, basically when people say, "i want to live someplace with fewer illegals", they mean they want a smaller hispanic population. Right?

Why not just say that then? Sheesh, any one can go to wikipedia and find demographic info.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
SilverFall,Backdrifter, I usually enjoy your posts and sound advice.But..
Many many AMericans have had serious problams/issues in communities with illegal hispanics.They dont want to be around it any more,even some fine,liberal,educated Oregonians feel that way I am sure.
Check out other forums. I dont think telling Gotwine she wont fit in is fair/ Hers is not an unusual request any more.

There are illegal Malaysians, Russians, Thai's, Chinese...

There is no disagreement that illegal immigration is a problem and that it has negative economic impacts to our society. I just personally refuse to assume that just because someone is Hispanic, they are they here illegally. We have many good, hard working Hispanic folks that followed the rules to come here. I'm not willing to demean these people as a group because of the few that don't follow the rules. So if those stats are right by nanannie, then 14 out of 15 people followed the rules.

The OP called out taco carts and Mexican music. I didn't read anything about other ethnic groups. I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that their issue is with Hispanics.

My advice still stands to them. Go to the census bureau site and look up the demographics for cities.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
some of you people just don't get it.....there IS a difference between legal immigration...and invading a country via mass overrunning of the border

Old 06-17-2010, 11:19 AM

286 posts, read 521,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
...I don't think the OP will be able to find any meaningful statistics on illegal imigration percentages.
I agree so I’m curious where the OP came up with this gem, “And the fact 20 percent of illegal’s from Mexico have criminal records…”.

I have a problem with illegal immigration too, but I find the tone of his posts pretty damn distasteful.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:21 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The OP called out taco carts and Mexican music. I didn't read anything about other ethnic groups. I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that their issue is with Hispanics.
I clued into this too. Basically, the OP wants to find a place where he/she won't see or hear anything of Mexican origin (at least not in the same concentration that they see in Salinas). That's a different question than the illegal question.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,046 times
My suggestion to the OP is to move out of one of the hotbeds of agricultural industry (Salinas), a center for migrant farm workers for a hundred years. You living there and complaining about illegal immigrants is like living in Utah and complaining about Mormons, or living in Minnesota and complaining about cold weather. There are a million places in California or Oregon or Washington you can move where illegal immigrants are much harder to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon