Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 04:37 PM

6 posts, read 5,693 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on retiring in a few months. We would very much like to live in the Canon Beach OR area. Will be looking for a house or apartment for rent. If anyone knows of anything or has any suggestions, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 08:35 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Use VRBO. Very trustworthy.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:28 AM

Isn't that a site for vacation rentals?

Old 11-17-2015, 09:03 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Yes but an extended rental during the winter is easier to find.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:29 PM

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will certainly look into that.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:18 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junemw View Post
Isn't that a site for vacation rentals?
Yep, you're right. I totally spaced that one. Dang, it's hell getting old.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:38 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If you aren't moving for a few months, it does you no good to look at rentals now. Not unless you want to start paying rent on a vacant place right now. Nobody will hold a rental for you for a few of months without getting paid for doing so.

Most landlords in Oregon advertise on Craigslist. If you just want to get a feel for prices, you can start looking in the Coastal Oregon Craigslist. You can see what is available and how much. Most ads have photos, so you can see what you get for the money.

You can look online to see if there is a property management company that serves that area. If there is one, they will only be able to show you rentals that their company has listed.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:50 PM

I was starting to look now to get a feel of what was there. Since I am relocating, I thought an apartment complex would be the easiest way to do it. I did not realize they were all low income housing and a waiting list which would certainly make it hard to relocate not knowing when your name would come up! So any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:45 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Cannon Beach actually has the most restrictive short-term rental laws of any town on the coast. I don't recall the exact details but basically landlords are restricted by how many different people they can rent to during a single month...or something to that effect. And there is some sort of lottery for short-term rental permits. It is an attempt to cut back on the AirBnB and VRBO crowd who buy condos and houses with the idea of turning them into short-term quasi-hotels.

What this means is that Cannon Beach landlords may be more friendly to long-term rentals than most other towns on the coast who can make more $$$ renting by the day through VRBO rather than long-term by the month.

What I would do in your shoes is google up all the real estate agents in town and start calling them and asking about long-term rentals. I'm guessing that the majority of long-term rentals are likely to be absentee landlords who own vacation properties they aren't using. And I'm guessing that local real estate agents are acting as property managers for most of them. It shouldn't take very many phone calls until you know the lay of the land and who has what available. There might be an actual property management company in town but often it is real estate agencies in these small towns that wear multiple hats and do property management as well.

And, of course, Craigslist.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:23 PM

Thank you so much for your input. I was just quite surprised to find out all the apartment complexes are low income. Thought it would be easy to just find a complex and move there to start. So now will have to go to Plan B and take your advice and start calling property management places. Your information on the short term rentals certainly helps and gives me a glimmer of hope because I had no idea about the restrictions.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon