Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,445 times

Advertisements

How do they work?

I was in Beaverton, right where Hall Street ends. I'm not sure if it took a picture of me or not, but what happened:

I was going through the intersection. It was yellow when I started through, but I was about smack in the middle when it turned red.

Should I expect a ticket?

1) I didn't see a flash, and I've heard that it would flash to take the picture.
2) I didn't run a red. I've heard those work if you run a red, not a yellow.
3) I was pretty in the middle; it was obvious I was in the intersection when it changed. It wasn't enough really for the other side to turn green, but still.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 11:04 PM

639 posts, read 1,598,683 times
I think that as long as you didn't see a flash you should be a-ok.

I got one of those tickets once and there was a definite very bright flash involved.... I immediately knew what it was -- it was quite obvious.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
There is a definite flash if you got caught.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:01 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,002 times
You're fine. As long as you were in the intersection WHEN it turned red, you're legal. Do be wary of radar vans, though, on Hall, Fifth, Western, and Scholls Ferry on the way out of town. If you see a flash from one of them, watch your mailbox.
I ran past one of them on a 95 degree day. The retired cop required to be with the thing was outside, having a smoke. As I ran by, I asked, "Getting a bit hot in the cashbox?" To which he replied, "What cashbox?" I smiled and kept running.

You know, the companies that lease those things to cities get about 80% of the fine money. It's a really bad deal for everyone except them and the $13/hour retired cops that sit in the things.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:04 PM

Actually I talked to the Beaverton Mayor a couple of months ago and asked him about those specifically. He says that at this point they only get 5-10 speeders a day. The vans (there are two of them) were never meant to be cash generators, but rather mobile deterrents.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,335 times
Does anyone know where red light cameras are located in Newberg Oregon? I can only see cameras at the intersection of 99 and Springbrook. Several internet sites list other locations in Newberg on 1st St at intersections of Main and College. I do not see any cameras at those intersections. Are red light cameras installed there? Would they be noticeable? I think I entered an intersection on 1st St. today on the yellow, but I'm afraid light may have turned red before I crossed in to intersection. When light turned yellow it was too late to stop so I had to proceed. I've never gotten a ticket for anything, so I don't know what to expect.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:41 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,702 times
99 and Springbrook is the only red light camera in Newberg if memory serves.

Oh and for those wondering about how the camera is activated, look at the pavement just before the crosswalk lines. You'll see two rectangular lines cut into the roadway; these inductive loops have to be triggered one immediately after the other to set off the camera. So long as you are past those loops when the signal turns red, you'll be fine.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:56 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Actually I talked to the Beaverton Mayor a couple of months ago and asked him about those specifically. He says that at this point they only get 5-10 speeders a day. The vans (there are two of them) were never meant to be cash generators, but rather mobile deterrents.
This post was chewing on my brain and I've come to the realization that what he told you is a load of crap. Only 5 to 10 a day? Yeah right. If they are simply mobile deterrents why did they recently shrink the size of the 'PHOTO ENFORCEMENT ZONE' sign to something the size of a letter envelope? Why do they place that sign way off the road or turn it in a way so it can barely be seen? Why do they hide the vans in the trees so you can't see them until you're right on it?

If it was really a mobile deterrent, it would have strobe lights, giant signs, and arrows pointing it out and it would be parked in a blatantly obvious place, not tucked in the foliage along Western. Until they start treating as a mobile deterrent, I will simply take it for what it is; revenue generation.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Actually, the vans are well labeled and not hidden on purpose. They have to be parked in a safe place vs a dangerous place too close to the road. The safe places can be perceived as "hidden" by drivers because in some locations it is fairly far from the road.

There are signs before and after that are very easy to spot saying the van is there. The signs are as close to the road as they legally can be.

You need to look at it from the police point of view. No matter what they do, how they place the vans, etc, they are going to get someone complaining about it. More so if they actually catch someone.

If they really wanted to generate revenue, they would build camouflaged hard points beside the road for the van to park on, they would put the vans directly before the speed signs and they would turn the tolerance down to 3-4 miles over the limit, instead of 10 miles that it's at currently. Or they would be like England and have permanent cameras installed all over the place.

Of course, the real fix is to actually drive the speed limit and obey traffic laws. It's your duty as a citizen of the United States to do so, or to get the laws changed if you disagree with them.

Personally, I LOVE them. One sits across the street from my house and slows traffic down to the 25mph speed limit. My street has no sidewalks to speak of, and dog walking down to the local park is dangerous when people are blasting through at 40+. I've almost been hit several times despite wearing bright colors and flashing lights, especially when the streets are slick from rain.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 PM

5 posts, read 15,806 times
Beaverton, Must follow the law to have red light cameras, They are not in compliance with 810.436
I have a video that shows a 3 sec yellow light they claim is 3.5 sec They can lawfully make the yellow longer giving drivers advanced warning to stop. Many states are turning of the cameras and adding to the yellow timing.
A poorly designed intersection that make $$$$ millions.

Brian Barnett, P.E., PTOE City Traffic Engineer. City of Springfield Wrote “
Oregon Law is out of sync with most other states

Oregon signal timing practice is out of sync with Laws of Physics

Oregon drivers, law enforcement officers, and most engineers don’t seem to know these problems exist “
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon