Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60950anna View Post
Wow. Lots of information. But the photo of the redwoods made me want to jump right into it and feel at peace. Jobs come and go, but a life of serenity in a beautiful part of the country sounds like a blessing I just can't pass up.
Pictures of parks are always inspiring. Would a picture of the Grand Canyon make you want to move to Phoenix? Would a picture of Half Dome at Yosemite make you want to live in Fresno? I like nature, too, but you can't live in a park, and pictures of parks don't tell you much about the reality of life in a small town...no matter how grandiose the scenery may be on public lands a few miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:04 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari616 View Post
Oregon sucks, do not move here. You will not be able to find any type of work at all, I've been looking for a job for almost two years and I'm only 20 with a diploma and nobody will hire me plus my mom has a business degree and nobody will hire her either.

I'm not sure whether to take you seriously. Yes, some people are having a very hard time finding work. You can't say the entire state is a bad place to live based on you and your mother's experience.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 8,561 times
Brookings was my dream town to move to. We have visited it twice and shown homes by a real estate agent who was a terrific help. While we love Brookings and all it has to offer....we are turning our search more inland. Why? It is VERY remote. That's good news and bad news. You have to want to be in Brookings to get there. Once you are there...AHHHHHHHHHHH! However, this concerned us for getting health care beyond what the local dr's and hospital can provide. It's a VERY long drive to a reg. sized city, Grant's Pass being the closest. Over the mountains. While we adore Brookings and it's conservative appeal (a rare thing in Oregon) we are moving our search inland. Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:03 PM

37 posts, read 70,755 times
My family is looking at Brookings as our potential "move-to" destination, and I must say I find the posts a little discouraging. We're friendly people, my husband drives a truck, and we want to be on the coast. We wanted, actually, Portland, OR, but his job said no way they could get him home there. So for now we're having to look further south where he can come home regularly. However, I would like a not so drug-laden area, and Brookings sounded sooo nice from a lot of posts I've seen, then I have started stumbling on a few such as these that are more recent. I'm trying to do as much research now as I can to help us make a good decision of where to go put down our roots. At least until Portland is a possibility for us. Are the people in Brookings just not friendly to those who move into the area? I've seen conflicting comments on that particularly. And my kids are teens - would they have no teen peers to get acquainted with? What is the social life like there? They don't require a lot, for sure. We've all lived in the sticks (very) for a long time, so having a ton of activity isn't a requirement, and we LOVE the coast. However, i do want them involved and able to get to know some other kids their ages (17, 15, and 13). Also, we're wondering if the small size of the town/area is going to equal there not being anything available to rent, and we'll definitely be renting for now. Having a hard time seeing anthing about apartments or homes. I have tried the Curry Co paper ads, and will keep looking. If anyone out there has any advice, good or bad, about Brookings or Crescent City over the border regarding these things, it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM

716 posts, read 2,818,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyesafire View Post
Are the people in Brookings just not friendly to those who move into the area? I've seen conflicting comments on that particularly. And my kids are teens - would they have no teen peers to get acquainted with? What is the social life like there?
The small towns along the Oregon coast consist of:
1. Retirees
2. Tourists
3. The locals
4. The weekend crowd with second homes

The towns are friendly enough but outsiders don't always fit in with #3. This group almost has it's own subculture. They usually have deep roots in the area and almost have their own subculture amongst themselves.

The kids might not get aquainted/accepted as quickly as they would in the larger cities.

I don't see this as a problem, but it just takes more time.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:25 AM

963 posts, read 3,033,847 times
Quote:
What is the social life like there?
Hanging out at the Chetco Senior Center swapping yarns about our experiences overseas in WWII.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:08 PM

16 posts, read 53,259 times
Quote:
My family is looking at Brookings as our potential "move-to" destination, and I must say I find the posts a little discouraging. We're friendly people, my husband drives a truck, and we want to be on the coast. We wanted, actually, Portland, OR, but his job said no way they could get him home there. So for now we're having to look further south where he can come home regularly. However, I would like a not so drug-laden area, and Brookings sounded sooo nice from a lot of posts I've seen, then I have started stumbling on a few such as these that are more recent. I'm trying to do as much research now as I can to help us make a good decision of where to go put down our roots. At least until Portland is a possibility for us. Are the people in Brookings just not friendly to those who move into the area? I've seen conflicting comments on that particularly. And my kids are teens - would they have no teen peers to get acquainted with? What is the social life like there? They don't require a lot, for sure. We've all lived in the sticks (very) for a long time, so having a ton of activity isn't a requirement, and we LOVE the coast. However, i do want them involved and able to get to know some other kids their ages (17, 15, and 13). Also, we're wondering if the small size of the town/area is going to equal there not being anything available to rent, and we'll definitely be renting for now. Having a hard time seeing anthing about apartments or homes. I have tried the Curry Co paper ads, and will keep looking. If anyone out there has any advice, good or bad, about Brookings or Crescent City over the border regarding these things, it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

I've lived in Brookings (actually Harbor) for 7 months now from So Cal. Yes, I'm older than you (mid 50's) and don't have kids but when I read all the posts here in this forum about it's always cold and rainy and there are only OLD OLD people here, I think it's those who don't want others to move here. It's not all doom and gloom. Yes, it's hard to find a job but if you can live on your husband's salary, then you don't have to worry about that. And anyway, where in the USA is it not hard to find a job right now??? As for making friends, i would think you have an advantage because of your kids. They will make friends in the schools which in turn gives you a great opportunity to make new friends. It seems to me for such a small place, there are always things going on here, and it's not just for OLD folks. And there's always the beach. No, you won't be in your swimsuit and in the ocean all year but there's no where in the world that can happen. I see kids all over this area being kids...hanging out, riding their bikes, etc. I wish I would have moved here a long time ago with my son, who's 29 and settled somewhere else for now. For me, I prefer Brookings over Crescent City becasue it's out of CA. CA is going down the tubes quickly. If your husband is working in CA, then it's different, you are paying CA taxes anyway but if his job is in OR or based somewhere else, then I would suggest living in OR. I do go to Crescent City to go to Wal Mart and Home Depot about once a month or so but the Fred Meyer in town is a full service store that has just about everything. There are plenty of other places to shop in town, too...not just the huge selection you'd find living in a big city. There are trade offs you make to live anywhere...no place is perfect!
I'm not sure when you are moving but do some more research. If you're on Facebook, check out the posts by "Brookings Harbor Oregon", look at the webcam from the Rv park that is right at the beach, read the activity calendar at the Curry Coastal Pilot, etc. Do your research, come here and check it out for yourself. Don't rely on all these negative posts, here. I'm sad when I read them, and like I said, I think it's people who want to keep newcomers out and if they weren't born here, then they have no right! I've met many people and they are all ages and all nice and all love it here!!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:34 AM

37 posts, read 70,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebalol View Post
I've lived in Brookings (actually Harbor) for 7 months now from So Cal. Yes, I'm older than you (mid 50's) and don't have kids but when I read all the posts here in this forum about it's always cold and rainy and there are only OLD OLD people here, I think it's those who don't want others to move here. It's not all doom and gloom. Yes, it's hard to find a job but if you can live on your husband's salary, then you don't have to worry about that. And anyway, where in the USA is it not hard to find a job right now??? As for making friends, i would think you have an advantage because of your kids. They will make friends in the schools which in turn gives you a great opportunity to make new friends. It seems to me for such a small place, there are always things going on here, and it's not just for OLD folks. And there's always the beach. No, you won't be in your swimsuit and in the ocean all year but there's no where in the world that can happen. I see kids all over this area being kids...hanging out, riding their bikes, etc. I wish I would have moved here a long time ago with my son, who's 29 and settled somewhere else for now. For me, I prefer Brookings over Crescent City becasue it's out of CA. CA is going down the tubes quickly. If your husband is working in CA, then it's different, you are paying CA taxes anyway but if his job is in OR or based somewhere else, then I would suggest living in OR. I do go to Crescent City to go to Wal Mart and Home Depot about once a month or so but the Fred Meyer in town is a full service store that has just about everything. There are plenty of other places to shop in town, too...not just the huge selection you'd find living in a big city. There are trade offs you make to live anywhere...no place is perfect!
I'm not sure when you are moving but do some more research. If you're on Facebook, check out the posts by "Brookings Harbor Oregon", look at the webcam from the Rv park that is right at the beach, read the activity calendar at the Curry Coastal Pilot, etc. Do your research, come here and check it out for yourself. Don't rely on all these negative posts, here. I'm sad when I read them, and like I said, I think it's people who want to keep newcomers out and if they weren't born here, then they have no right! I've met many people and they are all ages and all nice and all love it here!!!!
To Rebalol, and other helpful posters as well - I meant to come back onto this thread already and say - Thank You - long ago, for all of the genuine helpful advice and information. We've been through a long and arduous period of research of where to relocate (since we reeeally hope to move out of the south into a cooler climate and for other preferences), and we're still researching. Sooo much to think about and such a serious undertaking we do not take lightly. So, to all of you who are so kind and ready to offer such helpful advice and information, thank you so much!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:01 AM

108 posts, read 274,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
I can understand your frustration w/Oregon, however, your situation is not uncommon re work.
Wa., Ca., Id, etc all fall into the category of lack of work.

I believer that "attitude" is everything! I was unable to find "work" but I started my own business and in so doing I have learned that it takes time to get it going, but I will not quit.

I encourage you take whatever you can find. I know from experience that there is work out there. I don't know what part of Oregon you are in or what your education area, but try not to discourage others from moving there just because you are having a difficult time w/work.

We are moving back to the NW, but I have my business which is doing well in Oregon.

Good luck,
HW

I'm not discouraging others I'm just telling them the truth which no one else is doing!!! Another thing is I would never in a million years recommend this state to anybody. Because I do not want anybody going through what I am.... Also if you haven't heard Washington is actually going down in the unemployment rate.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 AM

198 posts, read 400,245 times
Yes, the trees are lovely, but seriously....you need to see it and then you will realize. You can't move there without an income, that is how people become homeless. I am talking about the isloated areas along the coast. Think about it!!!

Last edited by Mclaurin; 01-11-2011 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon