Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,128 times

Advertisements

Me an my family are planning to move to Oregon but not sure which city to go to. We are mostly looking for a more of a city not a big city like Portland sorry.

More towards the coast but not to close to the coast.

Low crime, low renting prices if any, and good on finding jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 12:18 AM

32 posts, read 123,345 times
Where are you moving from? Oregon's a pretty safe place, especially if you're in one of the smaller cities. I lived in Eugene for 4 years while i went to college. I really enjoyed that. 1 hour from the coast, gets lots of rain, lots of culture, very walkable, great public transportation.

Corvallis seems to have a little more agricultural feel if you prefer that.

As for jobs in Oregon...not so sure there are any towns that are going to have a ton of opportunity. You just have to start looking and applying.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:25 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
#1 again. Visit the area...

Old 10-09-2010, 10:53 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Of the "more of a city" places, Salem will have the lowest rents as opposed to Eugene or Corvallis. I don't know the rents in Medford but that might work too.

I'm not aware of any city in Oregon that is a good place to find jobs. Corvallis is one of the better cities in that regard but not sure rents are low there.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,128 times
OH yea I am from California born and raised there but after awhile california dosn't look as appealing anymore.

Np just hope getting a job will be higher than were I am living now which is in a town for me I was lucky on having a job 25% here are unemployed.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooie32 View Post
OH yea I am from California born and raised there but after awhile california dosn't look as appealing anymore.

Np just hope getting a job will be higher than were I am living now which is in a town for me I was lucky on having a job 25% here are unemployed.
What field are you in?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 PM

68 posts, read 211,145 times
Move to Washington instead. Similar climate,geography, and prices with better roads, more jobs, a (slightly) more competent government, and more things to do in general. Bremerton or Olympia areas might fit your criteria. If you do go to Oregon, i would suggest Medford. It is close to the ocean, but warmer/drier and decent sized.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:30 AM

963 posts, read 3,033,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotown11 View Post
If you do go to Oregon, i would suggest Medford. It is close to the ocean, but warmer/drier and decent sized.
As the crow flies, perhaps. But it is a good 2½ - 3 hr. drive through the Smith River Canyon to get through the Siskiyou Range and down to the beach. As cities in western Oregon go, Medford is farther from the ocean than most.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
It's really hard to say without know what sort of job you're looking for. As others have pointed out, Corvallis has pretty low unemployment, but that is largely due to the local economy being completely dominated by a university and hospital. Certainly that spills over a bit into other types of jobs that spring up to support those two and the people who work there, but unless you're a PhD or doing something medical (in which case, unemployment is always low), there really aren't many "good" jobs in Corvallis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon