Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 PM

15 posts, read 104,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You could start by learing what capitalization is if you are looking for work here.
thanks, but i didnt realize that you were worried about grammar, not information. and im sure that a potential employer isnt too worried how i write in a thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why you want to move. What do you mean in the above statement?

And "finding a place I love, and just letting everything else fall into place" sounds pretty naive. It usually does not work that way.
I understand that money is a huge issue but for my family we are pretty well off and unless I can't find a job within a couple of years, than I would start to worry. I'm mainly looking for the atmosphere and let the other stuff fall into place. It might sound naive but sometimes you have to take a leap to get to where you are going.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Oh and living on $1500 a month in Oregon seems really tight to me. That's only 18,000 a year.
I agree, we go through about 2000 a month, but if you think about it thats only $12 an hour before taxes. For a two parent household this is really only $6 an hour per parent.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
I guess I'm a bit confused by this thread. Why are you wanting to leave Paonia when you have work and describe it as your perfect place to live?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I guess I'm a bit confused by this thread. Why are you wanting to leave Paonia when you have work and describe it as your perfect place to live?
Like I said, Paonia is almost a suburb of where I live now, and there is too much going on. I actually do not have a job right now and that is why this is the perfect time to think about re-locating.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:29 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budderboy View Post
Like I said, Paonia is almost a suburb of where I live now, and there is too much going on. I actually do not have a job right now and that is why this is the perfect time to think about re-locating.
I didn't gather that from what you stated. So, you are looking for a town similar to the feel of Paonia, but not Paonia itself.

I spent a summer working for the Forest Service in Paonia so I'm familiar with the area. You are not going to find something like it in Oregon due to the vast differences between the topography, weather, etc. Maybe you could provide us with a little more of what you must have in a town so we can steer you in the right direction.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:48 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budderboy View Post
thanks, but i didnt realize that you were worried about grammar, not information. and im sure that a potential employer isnt too worried how i write in a thread.

I am trying to give you some good advice from an employer perspective. You can take my advice or you can ignore it. But let me tell you a few facts from recent studies. Adults who text frequently and get in the habit of using short cut words like tnx and cu are unemployed on an average of six months longer after losing a job, than their peers with equal education and skill sets. And youth just entering the market who are addicted to the speed texting life style only have a 30% chance of finding a job. Any job.

And a last piece of advice. Anything you post anywhere will follow you. You may think a little sloppy spelling and capitalization here doesn’t matter, and you would be right if employment above “Would you like fries with that?” is not a consideration. But more HR people today surf the net looking for posts like these to use in evaluation of perspective employees.

Again. You can take offence, or you can take advice.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
It isn't like he's going to apply for jobs under the name "budderboy".

If you can live for a couple of years without working you might be able to pull it off. There are a few nice little mountain towns---I live in one during the winter, and it has some of what you describe, but it's also got a lot of redneck culture. Rents are cheap here though and the scenery couldn't be better. Nice coffee place, the brew pub's okay, and Eugene is within driving distance.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
How about if I put on the application I am from, near, or like Paonia, and the HR does a search of previous residents (Maybe he/she, like I, have never heard of Paonia?). Opps. There is Budderboy and his lousy capitalization, and further reading may indicate this is our own new job hunting applicant. Your argument is typical of those who do not accept the principle of "Anything you post, will always be available to someone, so post like it is important."

Again it is just good advice if you are looking for a move and a new job, Take it or leave it.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I think it's becoming somewhat commonplace for potential employers to do a search on the real name of the applicants and check out whatever social networking sites they're using.

Most people don't put enough identifying information on forums such as this one for a definite identification to be made though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon