Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

I could go for Eugene if you included Springfield too. No other town seems to have all the pieces in the right combination. Iconic forests and rivers, close to the coast,but also to Bend and parts east, hippies, loggers, college kids, Californian transplants, microbrews,etc.

I think this is dead on. The area has a very good mix of everything I think epitomizes Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 05:05 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
TFull disclosure: I went to Dallas, TX once and was disappointed in the lack of cowboy-hat-wearing businessmen.
C'mon over to the eastside...you'll see more than one.

But, of course, that doesn't fit the stereotypical image of Oregon...

That's probably the biggest surprise for many friends of mine in the east--discovering that there is a lot of dry country in Oregon.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:00 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I would personally say Eugene does. It has the trees, the rain, the hippies, the Ducks.
This queston could be translated as:

Which Oregon city has the most loggers and pioneer roots. I think your answer is probably somewhere in the Northwestern part of Oregon accually, since that's where the trail ended. Makes sense to me. While Eugene is definitely my favorite city in Oregon, because of what you said, it's not the best representative of "Old" Oregon. That's the real Oregon, not hippies, vegitables, buses, and weed...lol.

(I use the term hippie in a good sense)

Now, on a different note, another question is where did this cool movement start? Rainbow probably. At least that's the impression Bob Marley gives.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,491 times
The thing with using Eugene as the example is that it's really an Oxymoron. When you think of Eugene it brings to mind enviromentalists, activists, protesters, etc., and that's just not a good example of the "real" Oregon. You try telling that to the majority of Oregonians and see what they say. Like I said though, I'm a huuuuge fan of Eugene. My absolute favorite community.

(I guess that means that I have a balance when it comes to my enviromental opinions and believe there should be a happy medium. And while I am pro logging, if it wasn't for those enviromentalists Oregon would be a wasteland right now. The result of this relationship is... responsible logging)

Yep, Oregon equals loggers and old school country folks - As well as Native American.

You know, when I really think about it, after learning about Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce, if it was up to me... I'd give the entire state of Oregon to the Nez Perce Indians. I'm not saying that it would be an Indian reservation (not a sovereign nation, but still a state of the union) but I'd let them be in charge. In honor of Chief Joseph! Yeah, that's it, surely Chief Joseph has a great great grandson alive right now. whew, sorry about getting off topic.

Last edited by O-Ducky; 12-27-2010 at 03:58 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
The thing with using Eugene as the example is that it's really an Oxymoron. When you think of Eugene it brings to mind enviromentalists, activists, protesters, etc., and that's just not a good example of the "real" Oregon. You try telling that to the majority of Oregonians and see what they say. Like I said though, I'm a huuuuge fan of Eugene. My absolute favorite community.

(I guess that means that I have a balance when it comes to my enviromental opinions and believe there should be a happy medium. And while I am pro logging, if it wasn't for those enviromentalists Oregon would be a wasteland right now. The result of this relationship is... responsible logging)

Yep, Oregon equals loggers and old school country folks - As well as Native American.

You know, when I really think about it, after learning about Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce, if it was up to me... I'd give the entire state of Oregon to the Nez Perce Indians. I'm not saying that it would be an Indian reservation (not a sovereign nation, but still a state of the union) but I'd let them be in charge. In honor of Chief Joseph! Yeah, that's it, surely Chief Joseph has a great great grandson alive right now. whew, sorry about getting off topic.
Cheif Joseph is never off topic on the Oregon CD forum! An awesome leader for his people, and a hell of a lot better than most of the wackjobs we put in charge. And just the thought of the Nez Perce country (Wallowas and environs) balms the soul.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:34 PM

82 posts, read 329,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I would personally say Eugene does. It has the trees, the rain, the hippies, the Ducks.
Eugene? Maybe it epitomizes your state's new motto about a land of dreamers.

If not logging, forests and the outdoors must still be 30% the reputation of Oregon. It had a lumber history that almost rivals that of California.

Compare the photos on these two pages:

Historic Coast Redwood Logging and Photos

And

Historic Oregon Forest Logging and Photos (use menu)

California morphed more due to population and industries like film making. But Oregon has not grown near as much, and seems to have forests and outdoors much more rooted in its heritage.

Maybe no single city epitomizes your state.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:00 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Actually The Applegate Trail ends in Dallas.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Actually The Applegate Trail ends in Dallas.
In 1846, the Applegate Trail ended around Canyonville, where my ancestors abandoned their wagon and finished the journey on foot. Fortunately, g-g-g-g-granny's dad had come in 1845 and took a party south on horseback to meet them. They settled in Polk County, but I never heard that there was a Dallas for the trail to end at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon