Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 AM

21 posts, read 87,104 times

Advertisements

Hi All. I lived on the West Coast for a few years and am considering the possibility of returning for good. I really loved Oregon, but didn't spend a lot of time anywhere but Eugene. My husband and I are making a quick trip (a week or so) from San Franscisco to Portland this summer, and I'd like recommendations for towns to check out.

I'm 39 and he's 27. No kids, but thinking about it. I'm a massage therapist and he does landscape installation. We're looking for places (on the western side of the state) that are inexpensive, relaxed, very liberal (downright Bohemian is fine), and nonpretentious. We need natural areas, but want to be not too far from an urban area for shopping and frolicking. We currently live in Asheville, NC, and are looking for something similar...but on a different coast! The most important thing we are seeking is a place with a strong sense of community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:43 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Very liberal is Portland or Eugene.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM

True. I really like both places. I was wondering if there might be a lesser-known town to check out, as well. In rereading my post, I think I could have done a better job of explaining myself, too. We are looking for a place where it's okay to be our weird selves, but we get along with all types of people.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
North Californina around Eureka.

Going north from there, Ashland, Eugene, then Portland. Maybe Bend. Depends on how weird you are.

You need to have a job before you move though. Both your professions are over stocked here, and despite the recent numbers, historically Oregon does not see any recovery for at least 18 months after the overall US does.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeautifulday View Post
True. I really like both places. I was wondering if there might be a lesser-known town to check out, as well. In rereading my post, I think I could have done a better job of explaining myself, too. We are looking for a place where it's okay to be our weird selves, but we get along with all types of people.
Every city in Oregon is non-pretentious, probably with the exception of Ashland...depending on your definition.

You can be weird everywhere in Oregon, unless you are beyond weird into the creepy category.

The only two really areas that have a bohemian-esque vibe are Portland and Eugene.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Ashland may be the best Oregon counterpart to Asheville (what is it about ash trees that inspire bohemians anyway?). Hard to even know what would be considered "weird" in Ashland. Can Ashland find room for yet one more massage therapist? I doubt it. Not unless the massage therapists already there need massage therapy from someone else...come to think of it, that's probably a profession whose practitioners could really use some good hand and forearm massage.

I would agree with Portland and Eugene as your two other good choices. Corvallis is relaxed, liberal, unpretentious, and has a very strong sense of community, but it doesn't particularly lean to the Weird Side the way the other two do. Both of you have career aspirations that are in overabundance here in Oregon. I would lean strongly toward Portland just because there's more hope that at least one of you could find work there in your first two years.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,674 times
What's wrong with Asheville? It always seemed to be a place I'd like to live, at least if I were bored with the West Coast.

Garberville and Arcata are nice towns, so is Chico, Santa Cruz, McMinnville (a bit more conservative).

But yeah, if income is important to get going, I'd stick to the larger cities.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks sooo much for all the replies! Yes, Asheville is quite nice- it's my favorite East Coast town. I'm just a restless soul and very much love the West. It feels like it might be time for a change.

I understand about the lack of massage jobs- it's the same here- "You can't swing a massage therapist without hitting a yoga instructor". I'm definitely willing to branch out into other fields for a change.

As far as our weirdness- we're actually very normal by Asheville standards. We would have to really try hard to get a second look. I like that my Boho-ism is considered a standard baseline here. I just want to be myself without standing out.

I was once quite familiar with Ashland, Northern California, Santa Cruz, Eugene, and Portland. It's just been many years. I'm not familiar with Chico, Corvallis, or McMinville. I'll Google them now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon