Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:38 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
funny you say that.

I've been an atheist for about 60 years and it's never been a problem. It's just something that i have been and not something that has been constantly occupying my mind.

But i now i sort of hide the fact........not that i don't want religious people to know, i never argue with them about it.....i just don't want people to think i'm part of the new atheist fad.

The new atheists are the ones who are more obnoxious than born again christians. At least the born agains are trying to save my soul.

And the mainstream christians here in baker city and elsewhere do things like provide sit down thanksgiving dinners for struggling families and have blood drives......things the new atheists should consider doing.
amen!��

Last edited by Yankeemama; 07-27-2016 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 12:18 AM

270 posts, read 325,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I consider all the west side burbs to be somewhat moderate if I had to use a label. I say this because I meet people out here who go to church that may be conservative but it doesn't hinder their abilities to to their job. For example, I am a Catholic but I don't agree with the church regarding same sex marriage. For Catholics that do believe in the church's stance I think they could still uphold the law and not discriminate. I meet quite a few Mormons out this way and our difference in beliefs hasn't been an issue professionally. I have a great friend here who is a moderate Republican and she lives in the most liberal area in Portland. The liberals in Portland drove me more crazy than her and I am a liberal. �� Portland made me crave diversity... real diversity where you are not judged by an aquaitance because you are a Catholic. I thought the atheist attitude in Portland was as annoying as born again Christians knocking on your door. The latter happens here in Beaverton. I tell them they can come to mass with ME on Sunday. How about them apples?! They tell their friends to stay away. I digress.

Phrogg... I found Portland to be intolerant and full of the most judgemental liberals anywhere. Again, I am a liberal and my moderate friends stay. ��
Hey, a fellow Catholic! That's amazing that some of the atheists have become so aggressive and the Portland liberals so intolerant. Reminds me of Long Beach, California, where nowadays a lot of people expect by default that everyone they meet will be a fellow vegan, Republican-hating New Ager. I suspect Portland might be even worse in that regard. I am really fine with whatever religions (or lack thereof) other people may have, but I also think it's not too much to ask to expect the same courtesy in return.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:42 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
Hey, a fellow Catholic! That's amazing that some of the atheists have become so aggressive and the Portland liberals so intolerant. Reminds me of Long Beach, California, where nowadays a lot of people expect by default that everyone they meet will be a fellow vegan, Republican-hating New Ager. I suspect Portland might be even worse in that regard. I am really fine with whatever religions (or lack thereof) other people may have, but I also think it's not too much to ask to expect the same courtesy in return.
I have read some posts you have made on CA forums and we have chatted here so I def. want to encourage you to check out the burbs if you do decide to move back here. After living IN Portland for almost six years I started to think there were not many Catholics around. I was wrong. In Beaverton there are several large parishes and the mass we attend is packed to the gills every Sunday! It's way more casual than what I am used to but dressing up for church is not what my faith is about anyway. I have two or three families as immediate neighbors that are Catholics. We get along fine and well with our other neighbors who go to their churches or that don't. I think I will really like the mix of the suburbs and the diversity of thought and opinion. Like I said before, I think Portland will be too much of a club of like minded people for you to feel comfortable. It really drove me nuts and don't get me started on the vegan issue. You got to eat a pizza before you to a vegan's house for dinner. �� Portland is trendy so whatever food fad is popular rest assured you will hear about it. You need to come up soon and see the new neighborhoods! Of you do want to live in Portland you may like SW Waterfront but it's new housing. Great area though and accessible to public transportation and you can walk over the new bridge to the east side. So much is here since you left.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:20 PM

270 posts, read 325,933 times
Suburbs (particularly west side) are exactly what I have in mind; I've never really considered Portland proper except maybe John's Landing (SW Waterfront, as you said). Really, I am pretty much settled on going back to LO, but like to keep my eye on the other suburbs too, just in case-- especially since there is indeed so much new to see! (Interestingly, LO has a lot of Catholics. Not a total prerequisite for me but definitely a plus.) I will kind of enjoy, if mostly from a distance, watching all the food fads in Portland. I like to know what's going on, even if it's not my thing. Coming fairly soon, if all works out! Lots of loose ends to wrap up, but I'm on track for getting there. (Meanwhile, I like to read about it and sometimes discuss. Helps me feel it all out until the time comes for going in person.) And thanks for all your help, as always!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon