Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 03:05 AM

10 posts, read 28,045 times

Advertisements

Okay well where do I begin? my husbands job seems to move us a lot! In this past year we moved to Oregon, I love it here!! 1st we lived in Newberg then Eastern Oregon and now we have a chance to move back to the Portland area or the Coast. I am from AZ and have always dreamed of living on the coast somewhere...ANYWHERE. I have some concerns. The location is Coos Bay. I have never been there, and by reading the many post on here I have heard some horrific stories and some good stories. I have been everywhere on the coast north of Newport, but never south of Newport. I have heard North Bend is better, is this true? Is there any Catholic elementry schools in or around that area (I don't mind driving a half hr or so)? I have a 9yr old son if there isn't a catholic school there what is the best school in that area? What is the best area to live in? What areas should I stay away from? Is it really as run down as some people say it is with drugs and poverty? As you can see I need major help!!! So please help!! I love the ocean and evergreen trees thats all I know is that there? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 01:18 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,909 times
First - you only need to post once about the same topic. Second, if you're already living in Oregon take a weekend and check Coos Bay out. The coastal towns are mostly farming/blue collar communities that attract tourists on the weekends. I dont know if poverty is a good word to describe a lot of coastal communities but if you're looking for communities similar to say Orange County, San Diego or even the charming coastal towns of the NE you're not going to find that.
I would suggest staying over in Coos Bay for a few days and see how you like it for yourselves

Old 06-12-2011, 01:41 PM

1st thanks Im a new member, 2nd don't have time to visit hence the post. 3rd not expecting OC and familiar with most coastal towns of Oregon so thanks............? was looking for people to answer specifically to my coos bay questions!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:01 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,847 times
If I had the choice between Portland and the coast and I had a child whose education I was concerned about, there wouldn't be any decision to be made. Let the poor kid live in Portland and go to a decent school. The coast is the retirement belt. It'll still be there when you're ready to retire, too.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I haven't lived there but I have been to Coos Bay and spend a lot of time in Portland. Brenda is right. Coos Bay is a quaint little downtown, very nice for tourists to stop or retirees to live, and further out is very industrial and sketchy in places. Think of the schools as having the children of minimum wage tourism workers, and commercial fishermen barely scratching out a living. North Bend is really about the same, both at about 20% of residents below poverty level.

Portland has everything you'd want including decent schools, and just as many trees, just isn't on the coast.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 PM

Yes I agree my son use to attend a very good Catholic school in Portland. Where we live now is a little scary too so I decided to homeschool this year. But I think since he is an only child he needs to not be homeschool and with other kids. I was willing to put him in a private school in coos bay but don't know of one in that area. I love Portland and the beach is not too far away. Where we live now I would consider quaint and I don't mind quaint. When you have two opportunities present to you if you choose one sometimes you cant help but think of the other opportunity you didn't choose. My son was excited about living right by the Ocean but he was also excited to live by OMSI again and got to Lego summer camp they have. So tuff when mom has to make the final decsion!!! But thanks for your input. We have made time next week to make the 7 hr drive to Coos bay to spend one day/night there. Where can I take my son sand boarding we might as well have fun!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Coos Bay isn't really close enough to the "beach" to do much of anything.

You'll need to drive north on 101, take the first left over the bridge and head to the sandy area there.

Or head south to Charleston and go out to some place like Shore Acres. The only other real option for beach time is heading south all the way down to Bandon.

Keep in mind that the water is cold and not much for swimming.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:57 AM

41 posts, read 119,239 times
Default Don't Choose Coos Bay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonclan1 View Post
Okay well where do I begin? my husbands job seems to move us a lot! In this past year we moved to Oregon, I love it here!! 1st we lived in Newberg then Eastern Oregon and now we have a chance to move back to the Portland area or the Coast. I am from AZ and have always dreamed of living on the coast somewhere...ANYWHERE. I have some concerns. The location is Coos Bay. I have never been there, and by reading the many post on here I have heard some horrific stories and some good stories. I have been everywhere on the coast north of Newport, but never south of Newport. I have heard North Bend is better, is this true? Is there any Catholic elementry schools in or around that area (I don't mind driving a half hr or so)? I have a 9yr old son if there isn't a catholic school there what is the best school in that area? What is the best area to live in? What areas should I stay away from? Is it really as run down as some people say it is with drugs and poverty? As you can see I need major help!!! So please help!! I love the ocean and evergreen trees thats all I know is that there? Thanks!!!
If you get to choose, I highly recommend you cross Coos Bay/North Bend off your options of choices, especially since you have a child. Schools are almost to the point of ridiculous around here (I've been in Coos Bay/North Bend for more than 3 decades) and what schools aren't already closed, have been compromised. (IMO). They've just dumped 4-8th grades into one building, and No... there is no Catholic School here.

Drugs are every bit as bad, and worse than you've heard. It's not pot (although some locals make it out that way) that poses the huge threats to our youth. It's meth, heroine, and prescription drugs mostly.

Unemployment is over the top, as is depression (the economics and attitude match nicely in this realm - both depressed and depressing).

Unless you're an outdoor enthusiast and enjoy recreating in the rain and or continual clouds, there's not much for kids to do on this part of the coast.

Every CB School is Title 1 Funded, so your child would be 'AT RISK', whether they actually are or not! It's a cryin' shame!!!

Beaches used to be virtually empty and always clean... not so any longer.

Sure wish I could give you a sunnier outlook on coastal living, but we're ready to FLEE! It's been about 2 or more decades too long for us. Should've left when the kids first began begging to get them out of this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon