Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 AM

381 posts, read 1,015,964 times

Advertisements

I'm moving out to Rockaway Beach in a month, and wanted to know if there were any particular pitfalls, gotchas, and other things to look out for (good as well as bad).

I'm mostly looking to know where all the normal (non-tourist) places to get stuff (groceries, clothing, linens, furniture, prescriptions, etc) are. I've done a bit of homework and know about the Fred Meyer (and some other small stores) in Tillamook, the market in Rockaway, but err, that's about it. Garibaldi has a small market too if I remember right.

Seaside has pretty much everything one would expect to need, but that's a 45-minute drive north... a bit far just to pick up a prescription from Rite-Aid, or stuff from Costco.

Anyone with experience living on the North end of the Oregon coastline that can do a brain dump?

(and before anyone says it, yes, I have a job already - I'll be telecommuting to PDX. From everything I've read --and seen-- jobs are hard to come by in the area.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
You've pretty much hit what is available. Rockaway Beach is a small beach town, somewhat isolated. There isn't a lot of shopping options there. You have to go to Seaside or Tillamook for anything you need.

BTW, Costco is in Warrenton, another fifteen minutes north of Seaside.

Manzanita is a slightly larger town, but there isn't going to be any large stores there either. Mostly locally owned mom and pop stores.

There is also a pharmacy in Garibaldi.

Your best bet is to either get used to driving, or limit yourself to a weekly or monthly trip to the store and stock up all at once.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Much thanks... you've confirmed what I suspected.

I'm not too worried (I'll be driving into PDX 1-2 days a week, so I'll certainly have opportunities to load up on stuff there that I can't get elsewhere). The missus and I have already figured that grocery shopping will happen once every two weeks to a month, which is okay with us (we have two vehicles, so the isolation isn't a big bother either).

Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
There's also always Amazon.

We've started buying some of our groceries on Amazon... like our organic jasmine rice and dry beans and favorite brand of oatmeal... free shipping, case discounts, and it's cheaper than what we were paying for the stuff before. Plus it comes right to your door - sweet.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:31 PM

14 posts, read 73,094 times
Congratulations on starting a new adventure!

I live in Astoria, but just spent the weekend in Rockaway. There certainly isn't much there. Manzanita has quite a few shops and what I thought was just a small market, actually turned out to have quite a variety of groceries.

Warrenton has a Big 5 and a Joann's now too.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

We've started buying some of our groceries on Amazon... like our organic jasmine rice and dry beans and favorite brand of oatmeal... free shipping, case discounts, and it's cheaper than what we were paying for the stuff before. Plus it comes right to your door - sweet.
I order some staples from bulkfoods.com, but I have a Sherm's that is convenient, and it's hard to beat Sherm's for quality or price. Costco is about the only real competition Sherm's has. Costco makes you pay dues, but Sherm's doesn't sell TV sets.

On the north coast, it will be a good idea to stock a couple weeks food at all times. You never know when the roads will go.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:16 AM

We always earn back more than our CostCo membership cost with our rebates. We're a family of four gadget-geeks feeding growing boylets, though!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

Ordering online I have no problems with... been doing that ever since pricewatch.com came online. I didn't know Amazon sold food, though. That's pretty cool.

The Fred Meyer in Tillamook is a 20-minute drive off, which isn't too different from what I do now to get to one. The only real diff I can see on the coast is that you do it at highway speeds and there aren't any stoplights involved.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I order some staples from bulkfoods.com, but I have a Sherm's that is convenient, and it's hard to beat Sherm's for quality or price. Costco is about the only real competition Sherm's has. Costco makes you pay dues, but Sherm's doesn't sell TV sets.

On the north coast, it will be a good idea to stock a couple weeks food at all times. You never know when the roads will go.
That is a good tip to Stock Up on Supplies. Living along the Coast is an adventure. You never know.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Amazon also has a subscribe and save program where you get free shipping and you save an additional 15%. Amazon.com - Subscribe & Save

It's pretty handy for things that you use often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon