Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times

Advertisements

TechmanOR:
Nice! - You speak with reason and sanity.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Ahh... see now we're getting to the root of the issue and your hatred against the noble profession of Gas Pump Attendant.

Here's an idea for you. Offer to pay one of these petrol purveyors to go back to school, in a field that you'd be willing to hire from, in return for a ten year exclusive contract to work for you and you only.

Failing that, Lobby the State of Oregon to increase taxes and dedicate the revenue exclusively to Education in the State with an eye to 100% high school graduation rates across the state, along with significantly cheap or free college education. Be sure to have a rider that says the funding can't be touched for any other reason because those Congress People can get a little gun ho about short term "job creating" projects in their districts that benefit their brother's wife's father's company.

In 20-40 years you'll be seen as a hero and a "visionary thinker," and you'll single handedly have turned the State's economy around. You'll go down in history as one of Oregon's favorite citizens, right up there with Meek, Packwood, and McCall.

Or... you can join the Republican party and their golden goose economic policies.
It would be much easier to just push for getting rid of this stupid law.

Why on earth would I want corrupt, innefficient, government wasting money on "free" education. You state it yourself - gov't is incapable of performing it's intended duties due to human nature.

I really have no interest in being an Oregon visionary!! Given my nature and the prevailing thought processes here on the left coast - That would really be an uphill battle

Old 10-21-2011, 01:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
I just don't agree with the comments about self service being quicker. I just got back from a trip to Nevada. Drive into a service station and there's no attendant, so check the pump number, go inside to pay, go back out to pump my gas, go back inside to pay, go back outside and finally leave. Getting gas takes twice as long, but there's no line at the pumps because it takes twice as many service stations to meet demand. Their volume is smaller, so they have higher gas prices to make up for it. All the adjoining states have higher priced gasoline than Oregon, so those folks get to pay higher prices for less service and convenience.

My favorite gas station has a 15,000 gallon regular tank, and needs a delivery every 2 days or they will run out. The pump jockeys are running their tails off, pushing cars through way faster than self serve. The only ones who benefit from self serve are the big oil companies. Self serve does nothing for the customers or for the workers.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:33 PM

286 posts, read 521,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Yes - I would. This is not valuable work...
The majority of Oregonian’s have proven time and time again that it is valuable.

Quote:
...Give me a break...
No I don’t believe I will. I’m sick to death of watching conservatives and their political party give the wealthy break after break for friggin decades. It’s well past time for the rest of us start getting the breaks.

Quote:
...You might as well ask if the hobo standing at my intersection holding a sign asking for money is working?
You might as well ask the trust baby golfing at the country club the same question.

Last edited by Dual Citizen CA-OR; 10-21-2011 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 10-21-2011, 04:23 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I just don't agree with the comments about self service being quicker. I just got back from a trip to Nevada... , so check the pump number, go inside to pay, go back out to pump my gas, go back inside to pay, go back outside and finally leave. ...
If this is how you get gas all the time then yes an attendent would be faster. However I would have to think the majority of the people can pull up to the pump and insert their credit card and pump their own gas a lot faster than waiting for an attendant.

I personally am still for being able to pump your own gas on most days. When it is nasty weather out I am glad to see the attendant coming so I don't have to get out of my car though.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:19 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times
Default Paying cash is slower yes.... does anyone use that stuff anymore?

I use self serve here once a week or so and fill my tank to the top. I use a credit card and complete that transaction in under a minute. Pumping the fuel will take the same amount of time if I do it or someone else does. The best part is I do not wait for someone to come back and pull the nozzle out so I can leave.

I am not wealthy. My time however is very valuable to me. The biggest break you can give me is to not waste my time. The wealthy will not roll over and give us their money, not going to happen. Stop dreaming about some grand wealth redistribution scheme. Get busy and make the most of what you have. With scarce resources the free rides will be harder to get.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
The majority of Oregonian’s have proven time and time again that it is valuable.

No I don’t believe I will. I’m sick to death of watching conservatives and their political party give the wealthy break after break for friggin decades. It’s well past time for the rest of us start getting the breaks.

You might as well ask the trust baby golfing at the country club the same question.
This entire post is just off base.

Bashing the rich??? Getting more breaks in life?? trust fund babies??? Not sure what any of this has to do with dirt bag gas pushers.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
If this is how you get gas all the time then yes an attendent would be faster. However I would have to think the majority of the people can pull up to the pump and insert their credit card and pump their own gas a lot faster than waiting for an attendant.
I have a moral problem with using a credit card rather than money. The credit card duopoly is one of the primary reasons small businesses can't make a go of it, so I limit credit card use to dire emergencies and pay cash wherever possible. It's also cheaper to fill up the tank for cash, sometimes several cents a gallon cheaper.

Those swipe fees are aptly named, because they swipe money from your pocket every time you use a credit card, to the tune of billions of dollars a year from Joe and Jane American.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
This entire post is just off base.

Bashing the rich??? Getting more breaks in life?? trust fund babies??? Not sure what any of this has to do with dirt bag gas pushers.
Bashing honest working people, and defending parasitical high buck scumbags?

Old 10-22-2011, 08:35 AM

804 posts, read 2,892,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I have a moral problem with using a credit card rather than money. The credit card duopoly is one of the primary reasons small businesses can't make a go of it, so I limit credit card use to dire emergencies and pay cash wherever possible. It's also cheaper to fill up the tank for cash, sometimes several cents a gallon cheaper.

Those swipe fees are aptly named, because they swipe money from your pocket every time you use a credit card, to the tune of billions of dollars a year from Joe and Jane American.
Okay to each his own... I agree it is sometimes cheaper for gas but that cash discount is widely disappearing it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon