Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 PM

10 posts, read 48,303 times

Advertisements

I have no idea what the point of this post will be, lol, I do know that I have read through much city-data info, and occasionally someone posts something that is useful to the OP. I expect mostly negativity in response from my post-that really just seems how city-data is-and that's fine with me.

I grew up in northern Indiana, Elkhart to be exact. For years, before I finally left I hated the area, it's a very very dirty, crime-filled, drug-ridden part of the country. The dominant drug of choice out there is meth, and it's VERY big out there. The RV industry dominates out there, and working for a few different factories, it was about a solid 3/4 of coworkers at any given place of employment were meth addicts. Crime-massive out there...I haven't lived there for years, but just from having friends still in the area, not long ago, within the past year or so, there were I think either 11 or 9 murders in one seven-day span there. Even worse than I remember it. My ex's dad's place was burglarized twice in the past 5 weeks SO FAR.

About 5 years ago, right about the start of the recession, relatives visiting one of my cousins met some people from Sheridan, Wyoming, where I currently reside. Lots of jobs, low crime, beautiful area of the country, definite improvement from Indiana. For the most part it was, and is. Sheridan is a little mountain town, seemingly isolated from the rest of the world and time itself. Decent paying jobs for hard-working non-college graduates are here--in the summer. When winter comes, and there's only 2 seasons here, summer and winter, employment nose-dives. This area is at a standstill. It seems you NEED to amass funds throughout the summer, just to scrape by during the winter. Motels and fast-food dominate employment out here, so during the winter you have a few options-hold onto your job, receive 20 or so hours a week, all the while working in near-zero degree temps...you can get one of the fast-food jobs, and make 8 bucks an hour, while getting 30 hours a week...or you can be on unemployment damn near half the year, which is a separate hell in itself. That's the hell i'm in now.

Sheridan, in my opinion, is just way too expensive of a place to live. It looks like there is a good chance that the emergency unemployment benefits will expire at the end of this year. I'm getting $444 a week right now, so that is sustaining me for right now, but if they expire, I literally, can no longer afford to live where i'm at. Even if they get continued, this area is driving me crazy, especially on unemployment, and ALL that this area offers is bars, bars, more bars, and alcohol-related activities. This is such an alcohol-fueled town it's sickening.

Sometime within the next few weeks, I can have a couple few thousand to do something with, and how I see it, REGARDLESS of where i'm at, even if I don't leave town here, I will need to move. Bare minimum expenditures at the place where i'm at are $1300 a month, definitely add another hundred or two realistically, with the winter months already here. When I moved in here, I was with my ex, and with 2 incomes, yeah, totally doable. Even if I stayed here, I would be cashing out on moving to a different house, with the hope of nothing more than a fast-food job the next 4 or 5 months, in a town that offers me absolutely nothing but loneliness.

Now don't think that I think that Oregon is some magical utopia, all of my problems and worries will go away. I don't think that at all. I have no fantasies of coming to Oregon and becoming rich, or landing a good job, my any means. Moving somewhere, anywhere, sucks, and it's hard to do. I've heard the quote many times, "wherever you go, there you are," and take it mean you can't run away from your problems, moving to a different area doesn't change "who you are". Fully agree. For years I have been in a relationship, and pretty much focused all of my spare time and energy on that. What i've been trying to do, and seems impossible here, is to move on. I've went out dozens and dozens of times the past few months, just trying to find anything at all to do around here (that doesn't involve drinking) and there isn't anything. I have one good friend out here, Josh, and there's been a couple times very recently where we both have in excess of a thousand bucks in our pocket! And we're at a total loss for anything to do! A couple of times, we went and saw a movie (yeah, I guess we DO have a movie theater), but just how MANY times can you go see movies? I'm just really not that into everyday drinking being the norm, and honestly can tell that I myself have been drinking more. I would just way WAY prefer if marijuana was legal, and alcohol illegal, for so many reasons. Alcohol destroys you as a person, i've seen it so many times throughout my life, and with so MANY people out here. And I do not at all want to become like that. I'm not trying to run away from anything, i've been trying to find something that isn't here.

I've wanted to move to the PNW for awhile, and Oregon especially. I don't do heat very well, and out here it's almost 100 every day in the summer...and immediately following the heat, it's multiple-layers-of-clothing weather. The whole area in general out there seems right up my alley, weather-wise. I've always loved the rain, the summers get hot, of course, but not brutally, and the winters don't completely shut everything down. I've grown accustomed to the color brown very well here in Wyoming. Very brown. Everything looks dead. Even going up into the mountains and looking out 40-50 miles, really it's kinda disheartening how dry and dead and empty everything looks. PNW seems lush, and green, full of life. Even if you're unable to live in a picturesque hillside town, it seems like there's plenty one could do in the general area on the weekends, you can see and be in beautiful scenery with a short drive, wherever you live in the area, if you have the motivation to go. Of course there's no way I think i'd be able to afford living in Portland proper, but living anywhere in the remote area puts you close enough to drive there. I consider myself a motivated person, and think i'd easily be able to find stuff to do and meet people. Especially compared to Sheridan, the Portland area offers way much more to do. Bands, cultural events, art shows, man even to go to a Trailblazers game would be awesome! Here, it's a 6 hour one-way drive to Denver to see a professional sports team...and i've done it, lol. So much more little events that I don't even know about.

Of course, it can't be advised to anyone, including me, to just pick up and move somewhere, it seems to be rule #1 here for advice on city-data, and it is very logical advice. I really don't need any of that played-out advice. I'm not expecting anything more to start out than to be working at some restaurant, some fast food place, whatever, that doesn't bother me at all. If I simply have enough money to get by, I'm happy enough. I'm in the position right now, that what I have to look forward to is fast food anyway. I'm 29 right now, and have had a number of jobs over the years. I've noticed one trend, usually, I end up moving up in some way shape or form wherever I work. I consider myself intelligent, and a go-getter. Any job I have, I have a strong work ethic, and a take-charge attitude, I get stuff done. I can read people's body language very well, and it allows me to at least know "how" somebody wants to be told something, if not just what to say. Probably the best i've felt in my life (work-wise) is one of my first jobs at Papa John's. Started when I was 16, the day I became 18 they made me a shift manager. I ended up stayed there a couple more years and had very few days where I didn't want to go. I get enjoyment out of doing my job well, whatever that job may be. It's an awesome feeling to go to work, and know that you're good at what you do, and get recognition for it. I've always wished I was the type to get into more "professional" careers, but ugh, even the thought of a job where I sit behind a computer screen, or at a desk all day, just irks me. Im' actually CompTIA A+ and net+ certified! Back in '06, so I may as well not even have those certs anymore.

Lol, I STILL don't even know the focus of this post! I know that in moving to the area "blind", it's gonna be hard, there's rarely any breaks in life, I know that. When I moved to Sheridan, I did it even blinder than now, and with less money. I've had my share of hardships in life, and went through a time where I was literally homeless, DEEP in the recession, living a couple months out of a camper, so it isn't like I've always had a "silver spoon" in my mouth, i've suffered, survived, and eventually got back on top. I feel i'm maybe one-up on the average (especially first-time) relocaters. I feel i'm even more prepared now because I'm not disillusioned as to what i'm moving into.

Even it wasn't for city-data, or any forums, or anything, i'd still probably be moving to the general area. I'm hoping maybe at least a couple people took the time to read all I wrote, and might be able to further "refine" the areas where I might want to concentrate my search on off the bat. I'm sorry I droned on and on about what i'm sure is a lot of irrelevant stuff, but it just more gives you an idea of my life, and where i'm at in it. Just starting out, area isn't a giant deal, just the "general" area is fine. From what i've seen browsing the forums, even the "bad" or "dumpy" areas, really look pretty decent compared to where I grew up, and all I'm looking for is a starting point...Really, wouldn't even mind staying in a cheap motel for a month or so, until I got more situated, the most important thing I see, is to at least get out there. If i'm actively in the area, i'm able jump on housing, or employment opportunities if I see them, being 900 miles away, I really can't do anything about it. In a perfect world, I'd love to have months of income put away for a move like this, but it's just not in my cards right now.

Any advice, opinions, whatever, I'm all ears, and having as much info as I can, from as many different perspectives I can, can only help me. Thank you, anyone who took the time to read my "novel", lol, and thanks in advance, anyone who replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
You sound like every other person who wants to move to the Portland area, just a bit more long winded. Although it's obvious you've thought the process through a little more then most.

The general suggestion is come with at least six months of cash to live on. And don't bank on getting those low end "restaurant" jobs, as there are hundreds of other people applying for the same jobs.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 AM

256 posts, read 541,573 times
Portland is great city it has pretty low crime and is really progressive. But the economy in the northwest is shaky and it is expensive. I am sorry to say but Portland is not realistic.

Salem is cheaper and is a pretty nice area. But again the economy is shaky.

Please strongly research before coming out here.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
A word of advice to you and please do not take this the wrong way. If you want information and I think you do, keep it simple. Much more simple than this. If you take the time to read past posts, you will see your story is one that is very similar to those that have been posted over and over again. Although I give you credit for being a good writer because it is really very well written. It's just that the intimate details are not necessary and people aren't going to take the time to read them.

Okay, so more specific questions please. Less about yourself and more about what it is you would like to know about relocation to Oregon.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:21 PM

17,637 posts, read 22,647,543 times
Howdy kyoinwyo;

If i were in your boots, i wood like to already have a used 3/4 ton pickup. Then buy a used truck camper to fit on the bed. Make sure the roof doesn't leak, & make sure it has a good heater. Then at least you have a place to sleep until you get a job your suited for, that you like.

Best of Luck...

Old 12-03-2012, 03:22 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Salem is cheaper than Portland, but Portland has more job opportunities.

Salem is a sleepy town. There isn't a huge bar scene here, which sounds like what you want, but at the same time we don't have a hip vibe here either.

I also agree. We don't need all the background info, just the basics of what you want in a place to live other than cheap living with good jobs.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM

320 posts, read 417,439 times
I actually enjoyed reading your post I am very familiar with Sheridan and understand everything you said about it. My best friend moved to Sheridan about 8 years ago from Southern CA. I have been there several times to visit. My family and I actually just drove there for a week this past summer. She has managed to make a nice life in sheridan, but she is married with 3 kids. I can't imagine living there as a single person. I was shocked at how expensive it was considering it is a fairly small isolated town. I actually think the prices are very comparable to Portland. I believe the surrounding areas of Portland are more affordable than Sheridan. Sheridan is a cute country town with lots of charm, but could get boring very fast. I agree with you that although there are tons of wide open spaces, it wasn't very appealing to me after spending time in the PNW. Brown just doesn't do it for me! I also prefer lush, damp, green landscapes. I think the options of things to do, even on your own, in Portland and the surrounding areas are endless. Not to mention your just 3 hours away from Seattle which is also full of possibilities. So I for one do not blame you one bit for wanting to take the leap of faith. It is risky without a job of course. But from the sound of it, your without one now already and on the verge of becoming homeless. You risk that happening in Portland without employment lined up. However, IMHO, I would rather take that chance in Portland's wet environment than in Sheridan's harsh, freezing winters. Hopefully it won't come to that for you. I say life is short so go for it! I'm sure most people on here will tell you not to, due to the bad economy and already countless homeless people in Portland. Just know that is the chance you will take if you do this. I wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted if you make it to beautiful Portland

Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,301,353 times
I agree with PNWdreamin., go for it. Young, physically fit, willing to do whatever it takes, you just might be OK. Check with the guy's on Craigslist offering local moving services, they always need good reliable workers. The guy's I hired charged $60.00 per hour just to unload the U-Haul and that was as cheap as I could find. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:59 PM

10 posts, read 48,303 times
Thank all of you, especially PNWdreamin and Sherwoody! Next friday or saturday i'll be heading out further west, Oregon here I come!

Very good idea about checking out craigslist for work, i've even used craigslist a few times to sell stuff, but never even thought about checking about the employment options.

I'll be sure to get back on here after I get settled and ramble on further

Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,457,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
I agree with PNWdreamin., go for it. Young, physically fit, willing to do whatever it takes, you just might be OK. Check with the guy's on Craigslist offering local moving services, they always need good reliable workers. The guy's I hired charged $60.00 per hour just to unload the U-Haul and that was as cheap as I could find. Good luck.
I agree also. Go for it!

An ambitious, honest and presentable person who has got some drive and a good work ethic is always welcome in Oregon in my book.

BTW I responded to another post in 2009 to someone (although a bit younger) asking pretty much the same questions you are:

Quote:
You know, sometimes it seems like the majority of posts answering somebody wanting to move to Portland are full of dire warnings and negativity.
Sometimes if you wait too long for the conditions to be perfect, you miss out on a grand adventure.
Hell if you're young, want to turn your life in another direction, crave adventure and change, and can get by with little money, and have no stings or responsibilities, I'd say go for it.
If you crash and fall, it only affects you, and not a whole family.
One of the best advantages of youth is you get to do things on a whim and have some fun.
You may not have the wisdom of the aged, but you can make up for it with attitude and energy.
Oregon was settled by people taking huge chances.

On the other hand, decent jobs are hard to find (not impossible) and it's hard to get a fresh start in a town thats on the other side of the country and full of strangers.
So I will advise, build up a nest egg, live frugally, make intelligent decisions, and at least put aside enough for a bus ticket home if things don't work out.

Sounds like you got the beginnings of a plan, flesh it out, paint your wagon, and take a chance.

Welcome to Oregon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon