Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:18 AM

4 posts, read 20,033 times

Advertisements

can someone give me more info on florence
moving there from the high desert in california

thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2006, 04:47 PM

148 posts, read 1,228,398 times
It's very nice, but slow also; very suburban country. Old town is pretty. A lot of retirees living there. Schools are average (same as most in OR) Adequate shopping and lots of outdoor recreation, but I prefer Cannon Beach and Astoria.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:01 AM

12 posts, read 52,195 times
Default Florence

Florence, OR is a beautiful town. I am moving there with my family in late June. I went there a week ago with my wife to rent a place for few months before buying. What we found out was that everyone we met was very friendly. We opened an account and the account manager called the landlord for us to confirm our new move in address. He can get things done for us by a call of telephone. He even called the local post office to notify them about new mail delivery. We enjoyed being there very much.

Florence, however, is a small town with a lot of retired people. I heard that the AARP rated #1 town for retired folks in 2005. Correct me if I am wrong.
So, there are more houses for sales than buyers. For home buyers beware of that. The elementary school is small, there are about 250-400 students in elementary school and there is only one Christian pre-school in town. The fee is very reasonable. One year pre-school tuition is only $800. So if you have small kids you may need to consider about it.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:05 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
The book Retirement Places Rated rated Florence as the number one best place to live. This is quite a popular book with baby boomers(me included) and the older set.

I've been to Florence several time and I enjoyed it. The shops in old Town are interesting to browse around in. There's great seafood. You can stroll around and watch the river go by or go out to the nice sandy beaches.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 14,751 times
Default YOu are in for quite a change....

If you are a literary type, you will wish to read Ken Kesye's "Sometimes A Great Notion" . In the first chapter he lays out the true feel of the coastal rain forest.
I personally find Florence a delightful town, there is a beautiful bridge over the Siuslaw and old town has at least two great restaurants. You will eat fresh fish and clams and oysters and .....
Well, I am fond of seafood. Best of all, you can go walking on the beach anytime you feel like it.

Enjoy!
Kevin

Old 06-23-2006, 10:58 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
Default Florence

A couple things I like about Florence are the Haceta Head Lighthouse just to the north, the beginning of the sand dunes heading south, their cute 50's diners, and it's a town with a mini golf course.

A couple of things I don't like about Florence are the few beach accesses are out-of-the-way and seem hard to locate, the main flow of traffic is highway 101 which can get busy-busy through town, and, more importantly, there's no Walmart.

Florence is a good little retirement town though. Worth checking out. They get a lot of Eugene people coming over for the weekend since there's a highway from Florence over to I-5.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 11,318 times
Default Living in Florence, Oregon

Good Days, Is what you'll hear about Florence,
What they don't tell you is what the Fall,Winter,Spring is like.
I've been here about 20 years,living 10 miles south of Florence.
This area is a COASTAL MOUNTIAN RAINFOREST,which means we get OVER 100 inches of Rain, That's over 6ft tall. It starts the end of Oct and stops for TWO ( Bright & Shiney,Wonderfull) Weeks in Jan. Then continues to Rain untill May. That means a lot of Gray days, Dark Gray & Light Gray & Bright Gray Days. Winds up to 70mph run thur here. Floods, Mudslides, road closes, No Power in the winter. Florence is a 1 mile from the Ocean,but it take you 3 to 10 miles to drive to it.
The Trees make you feel closed-in they grow so TALL. There is thick Green Brush Growing Everywhere. Berrys to pick in the summer (lots of Thorns).There is Bear,Elk,Deer,Bobcat,MountianLion,Beaver,Nutra,Duc ks,Geese,Birds,Hunters
Salmon,Sturgen,Bass,Trout,Fishermen,Creeks,Streams ,Lakes,Ocean,Boating,Surfing,Swimming,Sand Dunes,Rails,Quads,Sand Surfing,& Tourists.
One Main Hwy thur the Town, it gets crowded, we get an influx of about 2000 to 10,000 people at a time for the summer & holidays.
Jobs can be hard to find due to the large amount of people supporting familys, thier are Many Elderly in this town, which has raised the costs of Housing.
Little town things to do here, One moive house,3 grocery stores, not much shopping. You Have to drive 60 miles North,South,East,to any major stores......
That's what it's like to live here......

Old 09-08-2006, 11:33 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
What's up with the coastline between Florence and Yachats? I was just up there yesterday and just north of Florence, everything is for sale. Building lots and million dollar homes under construction. Reminded me of Bandon.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:21 PM

8 posts, read 38,737 times
Default Relocating to Florence

Hi Does anyone know of any good jobs up there? I am moving at the End of March. I'm just kindof nervous I wont be able to find a job. I mainly do customer service, clerical, office work but I am open to any kinds of jobs. Or if you have a good web site can you e-mail it to me Pls

[b][i][font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]Also, whats fun for a 16 year old boy to do up there? Thanks, Tamara [email]mod cut

Last edited by Waterlily; 03-22-2008 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: no emails

Old 03-22-2008, 02:43 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,180 times
I liked Florence when I was there. It has a cool downtown with good food and coffee. We also went to the sand dunes just across th river. They were so big and really sandy! Florence seemed like a really quaint little town, we enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon