Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:32 PM

91 posts, read 207,335 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are moving to the Bend area in the summer and I am concerned with the schools in Oregon. I am not trying to start a "who's smarter than who" thread. I am just wondering why the schools (in the whole state actually) rank so low in the nation. Average test scores compared to national average are pretty low. I'm from CT where the schools rank about 85-97% so I'm just concerned about moving to the area (I'm in WA now though so again, not trying to start an east vs west argument) since the schools in OR rank about 45-57%. Has anyone with experience in the schools there noticed a difference if having gone east? Will my daughter be limited after High School because she went to a lower ranking school district? She's three now so obviously I don't know about any of this stuff, but was just wondering about your thoughts on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
One word: Budgets.

You're coming from a relatively wealthier state with more taxes to put towards schools.

Your daughter's only limitations after high school will be her own performance in school, and how much as a parent you are involved in her education. Nobody says "Oh, you went to a terrible grade school so you're not competent to work this job even though you have the experience and the degree that says otherwise."

Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times
The east coast spends a huge amount of money on their schools. Oregon passed Measure 5 in the early 1990's limiting the increase that can occur with property taxes as well as moving education to be paid from the general fund at the state level rather than the local level.

Our schools function about a year behind midwest and east coast schools. So if they are learning it in second grade there, our kids learn it in third grade here. I have a friend that consults with school districts and she said west coast states typically educate about one year behind the midwest and east coast states, generally speaking.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 PM

91 posts, read 207,335 times
Thank you for that information. I wonder if there is a way to keep them up to date a little more. Like secondary education somehow? Or maybe just do it on our own at home. Hmmm, I'll have to look into that. I was just worried colleges wouldn't accept her as well because the schools weren't up to par.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:48 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times
Some of the best colleges and universitys are here.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan98 View Post
Thank you for that information. I wonder if there is a way to keep them up to date a little more. Like secondary education somehow? Or maybe just do it on our own at home. Hmmm, I'll have to look into that. I was just worried colleges wouldn't accept her as well because the schools weren't up to par.
It's kind of a hard question. Do you give her extra homework at a level above what she is learning in school and run the risk of her being bored later on? Or do you let her go with the flow and rise to her natural talent?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:28 PM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan98 View Post
No, they go by SAT or ACT scores, GPA and such. The high schools are all accredited. Lots of parents compensate and teach their kids at home if they are ready for more accelerated work.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,186,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Some of the best colleges and universitys are here.
Some of the best universities?? The OP was concerned about academics, not football.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
I think a lot of people either home school or send their kids to private schools. I don't have any statistics handy but I have heard that said on this and other forums.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
AFAIK no one is holding a gun to the o.p.'s head and forcing them to come to Oregon. In fact, the amateur psychologist in me says that the o.p. has no intention whatsoever of coming to Oregon and is simply winding up the good people of this forum because they can. No school in Oregon can compare to an inner city Brooklyn, NY school for awfulness. I was rescued from PS 167 in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn by the forced bussing program that was instituted after the Civil Rights Act. My parents actually fought to have my brother and I stay at the local school because it would be a hassle to get us to the bus stop whereas we could get to PS 167 unaided. Nevertheless, the white school (PS152) while heads and shoulders above the school in the 'hood would not even be fit to untie the thongs of the sandals of a French or German or Dutch school. Absolutely, back up the depleted and increasingly valueless public school curriculum with targeted home schooling. That's progress, isn't it? You bag your own groceries and check them out yourself, you pump your own gas... sorry, wrong state... supplementing your kids education is just part of the trend towards the privatization of everything. Internet schools are all the rage in some sectors of home schooling. The difference between the best and worst white schools will never be as vast as the difference between even the worst white school and one of the better ghetto schools of the east coast or mid-west. It is not IMO a thread worthy topic. Not unless you have some suggestions that is. Merely wearing the talking point to death does nothing to actually improve the education opportunities for our young people.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon