Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:53 PM

35 posts, read 63,994 times

Advertisements

We thought about talent, but the concern again is the schools. Even though ashland is going to allow open enrollment, there is no guarantee that all three of our girls would get in. Then we will be stuck in talent schools which I believe will suffer from many kids going to Ashland schools. I read that schools are funded $6000 per yeat per student. So, if 200 students left talent and went to ashland thats $120,000 less for talent school district. Maybe I'm all wrong, but thay would be my concern. However, please let me k.ow of nice areas in talent. . What about Jacksonville? Thanks everyone for all your help. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 03:09 PM

Hahaha... Typo. 1,200,000... I believe the actual number was 100 students, which would be 600,000 loss... Yikes!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:20 PM

54 posts, read 169,831 times
Jacksonville is full of retired folks. Very few young families. And the few kids that live there funnel into South Medford schools which is less desirable than North Medford.

Ashland school district is better. Plus we need your kids!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Well, hopefully someoone will chime in for Talent. It is a nice little town, which has been the magnet for a lot of nice young families for the last ten years. Not a bad choice at all, IMO.

However, Ashland, despite the change that have been so overwhelming over the last decade or so, is a truly exceptional town, with an amazing YMCA, strong civic spirit, and a terrific quality of life. I don't think this means the schools are demonstrably better, but the whole experience is pretty good. I think kids could work through the primary grades in many good locations between Medford and Ashland, but Ashland High is a pretty exceptional school.

Jacksonville seems more like a retirement town than Ashland, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you.. we really appreciate all the insight. If you can think of anything else that would insightful, please do share. But again, thank you.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 AM

Also, Me&T, you need to have stable employment if you choose to live in So. Oregon. Oregon is well known for not being business friendly and I've see many business move out of state since I moved here 4 years ago.

I was laid off a year and a half ago, first time ever, and my wife and three of her colleagues were laid off two years ago. The company I worked for moved their operations back east to save money. Many of my friends here in Ashland work for themselves and I can see why.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddypants View Post
Also, Me&T, you need to have stable employment if you choose to live in So. Oregon. Oregon is well known for not being business friendly and I've see many business move out of state since I moved here 4 years ago.
I've never heard this. And I've lived significant amounts of time in Southern Oregon, plus have family there. Oh, and have family who have/had businesses in various parts of Southern Oregon.

Every single time the reason they went out of business was the economy. Not unfriendly business environments.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I've never heard this. And I've lived significant amounts of time in Southern Oregon, plus have family there. Oh, and have family who have/had businesses in various parts of Southern Oregon.

Every single time the reason they went out of business was the economy. Not unfriendly business environments.
I'm not talking about small businesses (mom and pop shops) southern oregon is full of these. I'm talking about the lack of major employers here.

You would think, that with the good weather here, having an international airport, the proximity to I5, being in between San Francisco and Portland and having ample numbers of unemployed people that big industry would be dying to relocate here. Not the case. Even when begged to move here, big companies are reluctant. Look how long it took Trader Joe's to make the commitment.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:46 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddypants View Post
I'm not talking about small businesses (mom and pop shops) southern oregon is full of these. I'm talking about the lack of major employers here.

You would think, that with the good weather here, having an international airport, the proximity to I5, being in between San Francisco and Portland and having ample numbers of unemployed people that big industry would be dying to relocate here. Not the case. Even when begged to move here, big companies are reluctant. Look how long it took Trader Joe's to make the commitment.
Lack of trained workers. Lack of steady economy. Cost of transporting goods. Those are the same issues that have been plaguing that area since the first White Settlers stopped to rest their weary feet.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the tip... I plan on working in the medical community. I am finishing up my RN degree now, and will work on getting my Nurse Practitioner license or possible Physician Assistant degree. I actually plan to work per diem here in Sacramento area (possible Redding) because the pay is so much higher here. I think eventually I will work at the hospital in Medford, but thankfully I can commute down here... I'll just work 4-5 shifts, then come home. My husbands job (Fire Chief at the local Fire department) allows him to work 3-4 days in a row as well. Ashland is only 4 1/2 hours or so away from where we are living now, so the commute would be doable for a few years while we figured things out up there. And even if we didn't figure things out, the flexibility of both of our jobs would allow for commuting to continue until retirement! :-)

Thanks for all the tips... We are still looking for a place. Ideally we would love 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a few acres. I love gardening and have dreams of growing lots of fruits and veggies... plus chickens, and a few horses. :-) I'm a county girl at heart and Sacramento is WAY TOO big of a city for me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon