Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,666 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 (2 small children) looking to relocate. So far I've applied for jobs in Portland, Vancouver and McMinnville. Lots of questions here's what we're looking for:
House to rent with yard (not apartment), nice neighborhood with families, low crime, near school
Looking for very good elementary school - very important
Short commute.

If I get the job in Vancouver - what part of Vancouver should we look in for rental housing? What elementary school?

If I get job in Portland I think we'd still live in Vancouver? How is that commute?

If get job in McMinnville I have no clue where to live - should we live in McMinnville or another town close by? Which ones? What neighborhoods/schools do you suggest?

We are a lower middle class family so obviously cannot afford huge amount in rent, just looking for a nice 3 bedroom with yard in good neighborhood.

Any advice or suggestions about any of the above would be greatly appreciated. We don't have a clue what we're doing other than the job search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
Oregon has no sales tax but they do have state income tax. Washington has sales tax but no state income tax. However, if you work in Portland you still have to pay Oregon state income tax even if you live in Washington. So living in Washington and working in Portland is the worst scenario. Not only do you have to pay Oregon state income tax, you have to pay sales tax when you shop in Washington, unless you make the effort to drive to Oregon for all of your shopping.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
If the job is in Vancouver, live in Vancouver. Check out the east side--Fishers Landing area--there are good schools over there.

If you get the job in Portland, where to live really depends on what part of Portland the job is. If your job is in the north part of Portland, near Jantzen Beach or near the airport, it's probably not a terrible commute from Vancouver, and you can do your shopping in OR and take advantage of the no sales tax. But further south than that, you'd probably be better off living in Portland, as close to your work as possible. Regardless of where you live, if you work in OR you will pay OR income tax as Ms_Christina pointed out.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with McMinnville. It's a really nice small city with a quaint downtown. I don't know if there are better/worse neighborhoods there, but that would be pretty easy to scout out in a day.

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindymoo View Post
If I get job in Portland I think we'd still live in Vancouver? How is that commute?
There are only two bridges between Vancouver and Portland. They are very congested during rush hours. It's not undoable, but it's not an easy commute.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:39 PM

13 posts, read 40,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindymoo View Post
We are a family of 4 (2 small children) looking to relocate. So far I've applied for jobs in Portland, Vancouver and McMinnville. Lots of questions here's what we're looking for:
House to rent with yard (not apartment), nice neighborhood with families, low crime, near school
Looking for very good elementary school - very important
Short commute.

If I get the job in Vancouver - what part of Vancouver should we look in for rental housing? What elementary school?

If get job in McMinnville I have no clue where to live - should we live in McMinnville or another town close by? Which ones? What neighborhoods/schools do you suggest?

We are a lower middle class family so obviously cannot afford huge amount in rent, just looking for a nice 3 bedroom with yard in good neighborhood.

Any advice or suggestions about any of the above would be greatly appreciated. We don't have a clue what we're doing other than the job search!
Hi there- I've been looking at the McMinnville area myself but am concerned with the poor air quality. I was surprised that such a problem existed in Oregon. Benzene they say. Anyway, here's a link if it helps: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 02:49 AM..

Old 10-13-2012, 03:57 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I don't recommend living in Vancouver and commuting to a job in Portland... thousands of people are doing that already and the commute is dreadful. If you work in Oregon you pay Oregon income tax, no advantage there. The bridge on I-5 over the Columbia is past due for replacement. When that day arrives both interstate bridges will be tolled to pay for the project.

I wasn't aware of air quality issues in McMinnville. I wonder where the site above obtains the information. The Oregon Department of Enviornmental Quality doesn't list McMinnville http://www.deq.state.or.us/aqi/index.aspx http://www.deq.state.or.us/lab/aqm/rt/rtHourlyConc.aspx
http://www.deq.state.or.us/lab/aqm/rt/rtSiteMap.htm

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 10-13-2012 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 05:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Another plus if you get the Vancouver job and live in Vancouver is that renting in Vancouver will be less than renting in Portland and there will be more houses to choose from. The same will be true for McMinnville. It's just easier to live in the city where you work.

Another word for McMinnville, I was also surprised to hear about the air quality report. I have been there a few times and never experienced any problems and I have asthma on top of a rare lung condition. I think it's a nice little town but that's just from visiting I couldn't say about living there.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:31 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
The air is a temporary thing. The air in McMinville is as good as anywhere in the USA. Mostly better.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 PM

256 posts, read 541,496 times
if you get a job in Vancouver than live in Vancouver but shop in Portland due to no sales tax. If you get the job in Portland live in Vancouver because lower property taxes and it is a 10 minute drive depending on Taffic

Old 10-17-2012, 02:04 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
A 10-minute drive from Vancouver to Portland? Maybe at 3am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: