Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,130 times

Advertisements

Now that my husband and I have decided to seriously consider Oregon for our upcoming retirement, I have begun to do some preliminary investigating for a location. I have already made contact with a nice realtor who specializes in the mid-Willamette area around Albany & Corvallis but have not yet finished looking for other options. Some of the communities I am considering until I learn otherwise are: Sherwood, Wilsonville, McMinnville and Oregon City. So far my requirements are few: fairly easy access to Portland, enough local amenities to not have to go to Portland for them such as groceries, bookstores, hair & nail salons etc., good schools (for resale), dining options and easily accessible medical facilities with good doctors. After that initial selection, available housing options would be the priority, especially new construction. Can anyone help me either eliminate something or tell me if I have overlooked an undiscovered gem? One other question, will all or most of these towns have Catholic churches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 09:03 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times
Redrover--first of all, WELCOME TO OREGON!!

I'm a native, born, bred, educated here. Lived here most of my life and I study demographics and social behavior so I think I'm pretty qualified to help you out.

Since you're already checking out Albany and Corvallis, I won't comment on them. The other cities I have more than a passing familiarity with.

Sherwood is basically a commuter's suburb. It has a quaint downtown that has won awards for the ways they've revitalized and restored all the buildings. Mostly, though, it's suburbia with all the requisite chain stores and restaurants. It is a nice community, though, with a very educated, affluent population. It is also about twenty minutes to downtown Portland. High end shopping is probably ten minutes away along with some great restaurants.

Oregon City I feel is trashy. Traffic patterns are a nightmare and it has grown too quickly for urban services to catch up. The schools are not as good in OC either. I would not suggest living there.

McMinnville is down the highway (99W) from Sherwood. The drive into Portland is going to be longer. However, McMinnville has a great hospital, a MAGIFICENT downtown (you MUST visit there), excellent quality housing and good schools.

Of all the communities, I would say the schools are best in Sherwood, worst in Oregon City. Housing is the best in Sherwood--it's a relatively new suburb so the housing stock is new, but pricey! Medical care probably best in McMinnville. However, Sherwood is close to some hospitals. Virtually all three of these communities will have all the shopping that you'll need.

You don't mention how much you can afford for homes. That can be a major player in determining where to live because there are other communities that are delightful, too. Lake Oswego and West Linn come to mind along with Wilsonville. However, they are very pricey, especially Lake O.

I hope I've been of some help. Please let me know if you have more questions. Welcome!! Where are you coming from??

Old 10-14-2007, 08:48 AM

143 posts, read 810,064 times
bobmulk--LOL, I live in Sherwood and you described it pretty well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon