Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,281 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are considering a move from Pittsburgh to Oregon and are still unsure of the right places to consider. We have lived in Pittsburgh for the last 2.5 years (Philly prior to our move here, and Chicago prior to that) and, as he will be finishing CRNA school in December 2013, are considering another move. We made a trip to the Pacific NW in August 2012 and really loved the area and the idea of the climate but did not get to spend as much time in all of the cities/towns that we would have liked. We both love the outdoors (running, cycling, hiking, camping, fishing, boating, snowboarding), are in our late 20s and work in health care (I am a PA and he will be a CRNA). We are looking for a city/town with job opportunities for the both of us, reasonable cost of living (though we would be willing to pay a little more in a place that we really love), close to lakes/rivers, lots of parks, hiking and biking trails, low crime, breweries/restaurants, strong sense of community and good school systems. Our families live in the midwest and east coast so an airport nearby would be helpful. We are considering Portland, Corvallis, Salem and Bend (but have only gotten the chance to visit Portland). Although multiple places in Oregon seem to meet these criteria, we would be open to suggestions of other places across the US that are similar. Thanks!

Last edited by PeachNut; 11-11-2012 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: additional information
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 10:06 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
The only areas I can address are in the Pacific NW so let me take a shot at your mutual employment needs. You will want to locate in a large metropolitan area such as Seattle-Tacoma MSA or Portland MSA where there are a number of large health care facilities. Bend would be too small (and it has a distinctly different climate from the other communities you mention). Corvallis, so long as you included Eugene-Springfield in your commuting area, would be a possibility but that covers a large area. People do commute between Portland and Salem but it isn't fun. Portland metro has all the characteristics you list and has, generally speaking, a lower cost of living than Seattle metro. Salaries may be higher in Seattle metro, however.

Boise and Salt Lake might work but their airports probably wouldn't have direct service to the mid-west and east coast.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:00 AM

247 posts, read 745,233 times
You might also consider the Rogue Valley in Southern Oregon. I say that because of your profession, the medical community here is large and getting bigger.

We also have all the outdoor activities you mentioned. I personally am a cyclist and love the riding, you can choose from flat for base miles, get some training on good rollers or hit one of three nearby HC climbs for serious up. There is an incredible community of world class endurance runners who live in Ashland.

While we don't have a huge airport there are direct flights to Portland, Seattle, Denver, LA and SFO with easy connections from all of those. Plus Alaska/Horizon just announced that it is creating a hub in Medford with 100+ staff so more flights might be coming.

We don't have the high class shopping many big cities might have but there's a Macy's and the usual suspects at the mall, then there's Trader Joe's and REI. Plus a great selection of locally owned shops, co-ops (think Whole Foods before it became corporate) and farmers markets.

There's also no humidity compared to the east coast, I'm from DC and it's incredible here. Another bonus, we rarely get snow on the valley floor but the mountains around us get covered which makes for beautiful views.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I actually think Bend is what you are wanting based on your description but it isn't close to the airport. I don't know the job situation out there though. I know many of the rural areas are really short on medical practitioners so I could see you having to drive a bit for your job.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,281 times
Hey everyone, thank you for your quick replies. We will definitely look into the Rogue Valley. I have some friends in Salt Lake City and they really love it there; another great suggestion. The most important thing for us is that we can find jobs in our respective fields. We have been looking through employment postings at hospitals in Oregon, but haven't been able to find many as far as CRNA postings. Direct flights to the midwest and east coast aren't extremely important but an airport nearby (even one that provides good connections to other major cities) would be very helpful. Are smaller cities like Bend, Corvallis and Medford appealing to people in their late 20s? I do see a lot of posts discussing retirement to these areas which is fine but we would like to meet other people in our age group. Thanks again for your help!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I would think for a CRNA position you'd have to be in Salem, Eugene, or Portland for a job. Most likely Portland.

I think Bend is appealing to people in their late 20's. Not sure about Corvallis since I tend to think of it as more family oriented that singles oriented (other than the college singles scene).

Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 AM

256 posts, read 541,403 times
I would recommend Eugene smaller than Portland and great town. Also It seems you move around much and Oregon is a shaky job market so be sure you are committed here

Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
I would agree with what Silverfalls said, Bend would really fit your needs, and I also found this for you; https://clinical-stcharleshealthcare...isn=Indeed.com

It looks as if the St. Charles hospital in Bend is looking for a CRNA.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:54 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
CRNAs are also used in surgi-centers.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 AM

108 posts, read 274,176 times
Do not move to Oregon, you will regret it. I've lived here for 7 years, in the Salem area 2 of them I was in high school for then I got a job a couple of months after I graduated. That was only for 3 months 4 years ago, and haven't been able to get a job since! And I am only 22 years old. With little to no work experience. Portland is pretty much the same, I've seen a lot of adults around my age move there and not be able to find work. People overrate the Portland area on how great it is, when it really isn't. All the apartments and condos in the downtown area are full, if that's the area you want to live in you'll be on a long waiting list. Also, be aware of all the homeless people there. Oh, the OHSU decided that they are going on a hiring freeze. I pretty much suggest you look elsewhere, I would recommend Colorado. Because it has everything you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon