Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Summers can get darn hot in Medford. That's the truth, but we have mountains, lakes, and rivers too cool off in, not to mention the coast a couple hours west,which is almost always cool and moist.
It's nice to have a hot day if you're rafting on the river!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:03 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Having lived in the Southwest, I have to laugh when people say it "gets hot" in Medford. We barely get enough annual heat units to grow decent tomatoes and peaches. Melons don't usually ripen until late Sept. if they ripen at all. What's hot? I'd say if it's still over 80 at midnight, that's hot. And that almost never happens. It's rarely over 65 at midnight. The daily high says very little about the day's overall thermal comfort level. Those who worry about the thermometer touching the 90's for a brief period late in the afternoon and coming back down should really live in Seattle or San Francisco. I'd say on a perfect summer day -- a day that logs the most number of hours possible in the comfortably balmy range -- the low is around 60F and the high is around 90F. That's a daily average temperature of 75F. If the daily range is much lower than that (say 50F to 80F), then there are a lot of chilly hours in the morning and evening. Typically on a day when the high is in the low 90's, it's still in the 70's at noon and doesn't get over 80 until 3 or 4 p.m. Heat, when it comes, comes late in the day, usually around dinner time. 95% of the weather complaints made by those who live in the Rogue Valley have to do with winter cold and rain.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Just about anywhere in Oregon, any type of weather you can think of is "normal".

Snow on the 4th of July. weather up over a hundred degrees. It can happen anywhere in the state.

The more extreme weather is generally of very short duration, but happens often enough that it isn't a freak occurrence.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Having lived in the Southwest, I have to laugh when people say it "gets hot" in Medford. We barely get enough annual heat units to grow decent tomatoes and peaches. Melons don't usually ripen until late Sept. if they ripen at all. What's hot? I'd say if it's still over 80 at midnight, that's hot. And that almost never happens. It's rarely over 65 at midnight. The daily high says very little about the day's overall thermal comfort level. Those who worry about the thermometer touching the 90's for a brief period late in the afternoon and coming back down should really live in Seattle or San Francisco. I'd say on a perfect summer day -- a day that logs the most number of hours possible in the comfortably balmy range -- the low is around 60F and the high is around 90F. That's a daily average temperature of 75F. If the daily range is much lower than that (say 50F to 80F), then there are a lot of chilly hours in the morning and evening. Typically on a day when the high is in the low 90's, it's still in the 70's at noon and doesn't get over 80 until 3 or 4 p.m. Heat, when it comes, comes late in the day, usually around dinner time. 95% of the weather complaints made by those who live in the Rogue Valley have to do with winter cold and rain.
This is a nice description of the high and low temperature distributions. I would differ slightly and say my ideal day would be a high of about 90 with a low of about 52. That extra bit of diurnal range helps for sleeping and means slightly lower humidity. We get pretty close to that in Ashland many days in July and August.

I won't agree that the heat in Medford is trivial, or that it is only 5% of the complaints. It can get darn hot. Markedly hotter than the Willamette Valley, even if it does not last very long. It is about halfway between the cool, wet climate of the Willamette Valley, and the hot, sunny climate of the California Central Valley, which is pretty great overall, but it does have some of the unpleasant features of both (e.g., winter fog and summer heat).

Old 07-10-2013, 09:31 AM

35 posts, read 74,841 times
Just curious, do you get thunderstorms and lightning regularly?

I remember a friend told me Northern Oregon got rain all the time but never thunder or lightning and rarely heavy down pours. Mostly just a steady rain.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Once in a while we get a little thunder&lightning (here in the mountains of southwest OR) but most goes east of Medford.

In May, 2001 we were in Bullhead City, AZ area. It was 120 degrees. NOW that was HOT !!!....

Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBeck View Post
Just curious, do you get thunderstorms and lightning regularly?

I remember a friend told me Northern Oregon got rain all the time but never thunder or lightning and rarely heavy down pours. Mostly just a steady rain.
It occasionally happens, perhaps half a dozen times a year. Summer lightning is serious because it starts wildfires, and everything is as dry as tinder from July through September.

PNW rain does tend to a steady drizzle. Most Oregonians don't even bother with rain gear. If you are outside less than half an hour, a light jacket is all you need. Heavy rains happen when the jet stream pushes storms from the South Pacific onto the coast. We call it a "Pineapple Express." That's what causes floods in this area.

Oregon's most severe flood was the Christmas Flood of 1964. We had 2' of snow on top of frozen ground at low elevations, more at high elevations. Then we had an inch of freezing rain. You could walk on top of the snow and ice without breaking through. Then we got hit with a Pineapple Express that dumped 4 inches of 70 degree water on the ground. The snow and ice melted, the frozen ground kept the water from sinking in, and the flood was on.

Central Services History Center - 1964 Flood

Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Most of the fires are lightning caused, so we get them.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:53 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
As for lightning. I would say that we don't get a lot, but we do get less than E. Oregon and more than NW Oregon. This time of year, thunderstorms can pop up over the Trinity / Marbles in N. California and drift over the E. Rogue Valley. Ashland gets at least one or two of these each summer. That said, by far the majority of our rain comes in cool season storms with no lightning and long, slow,light rain. As we move towards spring/early summer, it gets a bit showery. A nice season.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
We don't get thunderstorms and lightning regularly, but neither are they the freak occurrence that they are in the Willamette Valley. Southwest Oregon is really the northernmost reach of the monsoon track that brings summer rain to the desert Southwest. It normally stays below the 40th parallel, but from time to time the jet stream can divert it up a couple of degrees more. The southern Oregon coast sometimes gets thunderstorms in fall and winter when comparatively warm weather masses from the south flow over the Siskiyous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon