Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,014,346 times

Advertisements

I saw on the news a couple of weeks ago that the Siskiyou county commissioners passed a resolution to withdraw from the state of California, they sighted the reason for this is under current California regulations the state in bankrupting the county. This idea has been in the works since the mid to late 30's, if one understands the reason behind this action it does have merit.
Northern California has been the "red headed step child" ever since California drew up it borders and nothing has changed. Most of the tax base in California resides south of San Francisco and that is where all the tax dollars go leaving Northern California with just the crumbs, it's kind of like the way Oregon treats the counties south of Linn County. I can understand their frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,237,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
You go, California. Leave Oregon out of it.
We might have to. The movement seems to be losing Oregon. While two California counties have voted for secession, sentiment seems to be not as strong for it in Southern Oregon. In the still very unlikely possibility of there being a state of Jefferson, it might just be the inland counties of Northern California, with most likely Redding as the capital.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,869,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Northern California has been the "red headed step child" ever since California drew up it borders and nothing has changed. Most of the tax base in California resides south of San Francisco and that is where all the tax dollars go leaving Northern California with just the crumbs, it's kind of like the way Oregon treats the counties south of Linn County. I can understand their frustration.
You'd have to prove that the rural counties don't have the same rate of return in tax dollars that urban counties do - and I think that'll be a hard proof. From studies I have seen in other states, urban areas generate most of the state funds and rural counties receive a disproportionate share of state revenue in return.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:30 PM

32,723 posts, read 48,321,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
........ From studies I have seen in other states, urban areas generate most of the state funds and rural counties receive a disproportionate share of state revenue in return.
The last study I saw, stated that people in Portland Oregon received $1.70 in benefits for every tax dollar spent. The residents of Bend received $0.38 cents of benefit for every tax dollar the spent. The rural people East of the Cascades receive $0.11 cents in benefit for every tax dollar they spent.

So where is all this money going that the big cities are sending out to farm country?

Old 10-01-2013, 03:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,869,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The last study I saw, stated that people in Portland Oregon received $1.70 in benefits for every tax dollar spent. The residents of Bend received $0.38 cents of benefit for every tax dollar the spent. The rural people East of the Cascades receive $0.11 cents in benefit for every tax dollar they spent.

So where is all this money going that the big cities are sending out to farm country?
I'd have to see that study, because most of the studies I have seen go the other way. Here's a story on that from Washington from 2008 (although, note that headline is wrong, it is not so much "red" vs "blue" as it is "highly urban" versus "everyone else.")

Welfare State by Goldy - Seattle News - The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper

Old 10-02-2013, 06:28 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,564,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

You should provide a link to that study.

Because logically, since we do know that the Portland Metro provides the bulk of the tax revenue in Oregon, for what your claiming to be true would mean that rural Eastern Oregon counties had a higher per capita tax burden than Multnomah or Washington or Clackamas Counties and/or received basically little per capita spending on education or other social services.

This isn't the best link, but it provides some actual data showing fiscal outflow and inflow to the Portland metro.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xm...ppt?sequence=1

Last edited by Deezus; 10-02-2013 at 07:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon