Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 02:28 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times

Advertisements

Not all of Oregon is liberal, but most everywhere in Oregon with job potential is covered in clouds a majority of the winter. It may be too much for someone suffering truly with SAD. You could look at Eastern Oregon, closer to the Idaho border, as there is more sunshine there than west of the Cascades. You will also find more conservative folks in that part of Oregon. However, I'm not sure it would be a place I would move to start a business. You could also look into Bend, which is pretty middle of the road politically, with more sunshine than the Western side again, but you may find it too close to California in many respects. It's also becoming increasingly more expensive, especially in terms of real estate. Good luck finding your place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 02:34 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,212 times
Edit: Don't actually care.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-30-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 01:17 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
West Coast Republican wrote:
Quote:
another example of the madness here every summer homes always catch on fire and burn to the ground due to wild fires. This problem could easily be solved if they allowed people to clear brush on their land, but the Liberal Nanny State says '' NO IT MIGHT HURT THE ANIMALS ''!
Good to know since I'm hoping to move to SD! Guess I need to be sure to take a trusty brush cutter with me to clear any brush on land I purchase,and they can just kiss my grits!

Swisher WB11524 Predator 24-Inch 11.5 HP Gas Self-Propelled Brush Cutter

Amazon.com: Swisher WB11524 Predator 24-Inch 11.5 HP Gas Self-Propelled Brush Cutter (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Patio, Lawn & Garden

Have you considered west Texas which doesn't have the god-awful humidity of the rest of the state? Someplace like Lubbock which is not as large as El Paso[which also might be worth considering].

Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,869 times
Thanks for the replies! I don't mind living around liberals, I respect other people and their views. I just dislike the out of control Nanny State presence that exists here in California. You have to live here to understand it, we're very different than other places. Plus the high cost of living and high tax burden is becoming too much.

Anyway I am originally from Eugene but it has the gloomy PNW weather. I am looking at Bend, I don't mind having snow in the winter. As long as it's sunny and has opportunities I'm happy.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:22 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Thanks for the replies! I don't mind living around liberals, I respect other people and their views. I just dislike the out of control Nanny State presence that exists here in California. You have to live here to understand it, we're very different than other places. Plus the high cost of living and high tax burden is becoming too much.

Anyway I am originally from Eugene but it has the gloomy PNW weather. I am looking at Bend, I don't mind having snow in the winter. As long as it's sunny and has opportunities I'm happy.
Bend is sunnIER than Eugene, but if you know SAD is a problem, it might not be sunny enough. Pulled in from another thread:

Eugene
inches rain: 45"
days of sun/part sun: 151
Precip days: 140
Avg Jan low: 34
Avg July high: 82

Bend
inches rain: 11.6"
inches snow: 32.6"
days of sun/part sun: 162
Precip days: 81
Avg Jan low: 21
Avg July high: 82

Medford
inches rain: 18"
Inches snow: 6.1"
days of sun/part sun: 198
Precip days: 100
Avg Jan low: 31
Avg July high: 91

For me, living in Portland for 30+ years, it wasn't the rain so much as the closed overcast - we had a 200' tall doug fir at the end of the street and for an awful lot of the winter, you couldn't even see the top of the tree in the mist/clouds. I always felt closed in, as though everything was right on top of my head. When we moved to the other side of the Cascades, for whatever reason the overcast felt less close-in, like the cloud ceiling was much higher -even though we were living at 4,400' instead of essentially sea level.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 04-02-2014 at 12:37 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 01:42 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
West Coast Republican wrote:

Good to know since I'm hoping to move to SD! Guess I need to be sure to take a trusty brush cutter with me to clear any brush on land I purchase,and they can just kiss my grits!

Swisher WB11524 Predator 24-Inch 11.5 HP Gas Self-Propelled Brush Cutter

Amazon.com: Swisher WB11524 Predator 24-Inch 11.5 HP Gas Self-Propelled Brush Cutter (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Patio, Lawn & Garden

Have you considered west Texas which doesn't have the god-awful humidity of the rest of the state? Someplace like Lubbock which is not as large as El Paso[which also might be worth considering].
Get yourself s Stihl chainsaw. A good saw makes clearing trees much easier...

Chainsaws | High Performance Professional & Electric Chainsaws | STIHL USA Mobile

It's sunny & warm here today on side the mountain at 2000', in southwest Oregon. We get many nice days like this in winter & spring...

Old 04-03-2014, 03:46 AM

462 posts, read 741,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post

Just a couple weeks ago you were saying how you loved being in Cali, now your looking to leave? What was the straw that broke the camels back in that span of time?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
Just a couple weeks ago you were saying how you loved being in Cali, now your looking to leave? What was the straw that broke the camels back in that span of time?
Ha, ha,ha,I saw that post too... said he would never leave!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Get yourself s Stihl chainsaw. A good saw makes clearing trees much easier...

Chainsaws | High Performance Professional & Electric Chainsaws | STIHL USA Mobile

It's sunny & warm here today on side the mountain at 2000', in southwest Oregon. We get many nice days like this in winter & spring...

It isn't trees in SD that feed the wildfires but the brush,that needs cleared.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:41 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
I was going to suggest Southern Oregon, like Medford. But not sure how gray it gets down there. From what I know from my friend, not as much as up here in Portland.

One thing about AZ, that a lot of people get sick of....the dry hot weather. The dust storms. The browness of everything. Just something to think about. It can get super cold and snow or it can be 115+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon