Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 10:18 AM

132 posts, read 291,123 times

Advertisements

Hello I have been doing my research on Oregon and checking out some areas that I might be interested in. I am looking to relocate to Oregon within the next year and wanted to know if ya'll can help me out with some info. I am a single woman in my 30's and I am looking for a safe area to reside in. I know Oregon is huge but I'm hoping ya'll can tell me what areas to avoid as far as high crime and super expensive areas. I am looking for either a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment that's no more than $1000/month. I hoping I can find a nice place around that price range. I have a 17 year daughter who might be coming with me depending on if she goes to college in Oregon or if she will stay in Texas for college. The areas I'm looking at is Beaverton, Bend, Hillsboro, Portland, Happy Valley, Milwaukie, Tigard, and West Linn. Thanks in advance for ya'lls help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 11:24 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Super expensive would be some neighborhoods in Portland, Lake Oswego.

You really need to line up a job first as that is the first think landlords look for.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:17 PM

126 posts, read 153,607 times
What colleges are your daughter thinking of applying to?

If she can get into/afford Oregon State or University of Oregon you might want to think about Corvallis and Eugene first. They are both safe and you can find two bedroom apartments in both for the price you are thinking of.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:49 PM

12 posts, read 21,829 times
I myself just moved to OR from out of state. I am also single with a 17 yrs old daughter who will for sure go to college here (she has one more year of high school to complete). She has her eye set for Oregon State University in Corvallis and that is where we currently live. I was able to rent a 2 bed room town home for definitely lass than $1000 a month. Corvallis is a small college town, very safe without any bad areas. I love it a lot already; everything is really close by for everyday conveniences and the public bus transit system is free (I take the bus to work, no need to drive!).
In terms of employment, I did find a job prior to moving and started work one week after we landed here. Yes, it is very important to have a job lined up; I started looking about 6 months in advance, invested time and money and came out for interviews; I consider myself very fortunate for finding a job from out of state and not a bad one at that.
Research, research, research, do your homework, update your resume, apply early, wait patiently and if they call you for an interview, make that trip.
good luck in your search!

Old 07-28-2014, 05:50 PM

126 posts, read 153,607 times
Both U of O and OSU are good choices and growing. OSU in particular has come into some solid funding and is building and expanding rapidly.

From last year: "“Enrollment at Oregon State in Corvallis, including the Ecampus, accounted for 91 percent of the growth in all Oregon universities,” Clark said. “If you add the Cascades campus, it’s almost 100 percent — we’re 14 students shy of the total headcount growth.”

Old 07-29-2014, 11:08 AM

323 posts, read 499,362 times
What about out of state tuition? I came back to Texas to go to nursing school because I still had a mailing address there. The difference in tuition for out of state in California was huge. I could not have afforded it. Do Oregon colleges charge out of state tuition?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:05 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Oh yes, Oregon charges more tuition for out of state residents.

Just who qualifies for instate tuition looks to be somewhat complicated at the margins: Oregon State University Online Catalog - Residency Requirements

Old 07-29-2014, 01:41 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
The short version is that residency rules are intended to distinguish between students who are here primarily for the purpose of obtaining an education or not.

While in theory the OUS rules apply to all campuses, each school may interpret a specific situation slightly differently. Particularly as a parent looking at how the move impacts your child, I would talk to the residency officer (usually housed in Admissions) at any OUS school your child might wish to attend.

The Community College system also distinguishes between resident/non-, but they tend to be more lax as its fairly rare for students to move cross-country just to enroll in our many fine CCs. Whereas at the 4-year schools out of state enrollment is fairly common, so the lines are more tightly drawn to keep out-of-staters from easily securing lower (taxpayer subsidized) rates.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 PM

12 posts, read 21,829 times
Yes, residency rules will apply to anyone wanting to attend higher ed institution... hence even more reason to plan your move carefully. Know exactly when you want to move and your reasons why (job? kids wanting to go college? change of scenery? looking for a different pace of life?). Having moved recently, I can say it is a life revolution of sorts, very emotional, expensive and exhausting. And yet totally worth it if planned to the last possible detail and far out (I started planning a year in advance). My humble general advice on moving out of state: save money, look and book early, eliminate last minute drama as you will be too tired and overwhelmed to deal with it; compare costs and rates, ask for deals and discounts wherever and whenever possible. Read local papers and city blogs online to learn what goes on in the town that might become your new home. Having great credit and awesome references definitely helps too.
good luck!

Old 04-05-2015, 04:08 PM

213 posts, read 522,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
What about out of state tuition? I came back to Texas to go to nursing school because I still had a mailing address there. The difference in tuition for out of state in California was huge. I could not have afforded it. Do Oregon colleges charge out of state tuition?
Not sure if this is still relevant, but if you take classes (or get a degree) through Oregon State E-Campus, they do NOT charge out-of-state tuition. There is a $75 technology fee, which means one will (currently) pay $271 per credit. This may give you other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon