Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 01:10 PM

20 posts, read 35,430 times

Advertisements

We are in metro-Chicago and my husband has an opportunity to consider a job promotion
that would move us to Ashland. We have never made a move for this reason before. We
are a family with a high school student and an elementary student. I hope there is someone(s)
out there who can help with a few questions; I have already done a lot of internet research so
I have read all the negatives and positives. Because we are "older" parents, a transfer to Ashland
could possibly be a last job for my husband before retirement (we are 50's), or not. He wants us
to know we would lean towards accepting the transfer before he accepts an invitation from his company
for a visit, etc. The biggest potential negative is home prices; no big surprise. We do have some
family about 5 hours away.

If anyone is in the know about any of these questions, I would appreciate your input! I haven't seen
anything written so far from people who are in Ashland who have kids.

Schools:

- Would a high school junior or senior be welcomed at the high school? Is it generally small town friendly? Our daughter has social anxiety, but is very likable. Her passion is acting. Her present high school is in a generally affluent area with everything that goes with that - prep school environment, competitive theater department, lots of high achievers (75%+ student body is in honors/high honors). I wouldn't mind getting her out of that, though she has some good friends so any move would be tough. I am also curious if theater is very competitive.

- SOU is attractive to us with its low tuition rate and having programs that are in our daughter's areas of
interest, although not Shakespeare! While SOU has a very high acceptance rate, it has a very low graduation rate. Are these factors: Not that many majors and affordable so many regional students use it as a community college and transfer after two years? Auditions for the acting program don't happen until sophomore year, so those that don't make it look for options elsewhere? Such a high acceptance rate that some of those students just don't make it in college? I get the impression that students are generally happy there, so I'm trying to understand the low graduation rate.

Spouse employment:

- Since the university eliminated some programs, are staff jobs harder to get? I have graduate degrees in counseling and speech com so could teach or some sort of admin/advisor role. I think SOU has eliminated part-time faculty. I'm afraid we couldn't get much of a house unless I am employed, have been mostly at home with kids for quite a few years.

Religion:

- We are Jewish, know there are a couple of options. Any experience out there with either the Reform or Renewal congregations?

Housing:

- Should we not consider this move unless we can afford a house $500k or higher? I know even that is lower end in Ashland. In case I can't find a job: Do homes come on the market that are $300-400k that are decent or just town homes? Are 3 bedroom rentals easy to come by?

- No reason to suggest living farther out for affordability. My husband would need to be accessible to his place of work. Ten-20 minutes out tops but good schools or permissive transfer to Ashland schools would be important.

Thank you for any insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 10:06 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I haven't looked the RE listings for Ashland so you really need to look online.

All I can say is that folks would 'kill' for a promotion to Ashland. It is a wonderful town.

SOU likely has a low graduation rate because it's admission standards are soft, very liberal arts, theater, education. It isn't known as a destination for serious students as they attend OSU, UO, or PSU. OSU is our 'cow college', focus on applied sciences (computer hardware). UO is liberal arts, mathematics(computer software), physics, bio science, law school. PSU is a commuter college with a strong business program, social work [haven't looked at their offerings in years]. Your daughter won't want to live at home while attending college... at least mine didn't. When that time comes there are lots of fine schools in OR, CA and WA to consider. In Portland the public school system permits students to take classes at the community college or even PSU for high school credit if their academic needs are better met. Odds are you can swing that arrangement with the Ashland schools.

Because of the number of parents associated with the theater and SOC Ashland's schools have a good reputation. While the parents don't have the reputation of being Tigers they are very involved.

Religion isn't an issue in Oregon. Everyone does their own thing, or not.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:31 PM

Agreed: A transfer to Ashland for the adults in the family sounds good!

Your assessment of SOU is both promising and not for our daughter. If in Ashland, we would definitely have her live in a dorm to have a college experience. She is VERY acting, education or some other arts oriented, which makes the school a possible fit for her. She is not a high achieving academic but most of her current classmates and friends are and she is getting an excellent education at a prep-style public school. I wonder if she would feel somewhat out of place somewhere with lower standards after the schools she has attended for all these years. Most of our students say college was easier than high school. Or she could finally relax!

Thanks, Nell Plotts, for taking the time to fill in some of the picture.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:22 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
SOU has a new president as of...July? I haven't heard any big pronouncement, but the rumor is that he's made a good first impression and staff/faculty seem more optimistic than they were under the retrenchment Cullinan implemented. It's hard to say if there will be jobs or not, or how well they'll pay.

Not unusual for SOU staff faculty to live in Talent or Medford (more affordable than Ashland) and make the shortish commute down. FWIW, the UO also has a pretty good theater program, and if she'd be living in campus housing, the cost difference is pretty minor between SOU/UO.

SOU I believe does also have an 'honors college' - younger than the honors college at the UO, but still worth a look. It's a mechanism larger publics have used to try and attract/aggregate their stronger students into a cohort and more challenging classes.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:30 PM

If housing cost isn't an issue then live in Ashland. It is San Franciscan heaven, I doubt you will have any problem selling your home when that day comes. Medford, Talent.. not so much.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:10 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
A promotion + Ashland, and you can afford a $500k home? That would take me about 1/1000 of a second to decide on. It is a terrific town. But town is the word. It is pretty small, and as a retirement town, it tilts toward the grey hairs in all its dimensions. That said, they tend to be well educated liberals and they generously support the schools and youth activities. Also, since it is a place the successful retire to, you are likely to meet famous authors, retired doctors, lawyers, artists, actors, and scientists from Ivy League schools scattered about town, or garbage truck drivers who bought in the Bay back in the day. $$$ is the common denominator.

Ashland high is also a very good public high school. Routinely ranked one of the best in the state. $500k is not lower end in housing, but it is certainly not the top either. With $400k, you should be able to find a good home. Of course, coming from the Midwest, it may not seem like a $400k home to you. Welcome to the Far West, were real estate and the economy are unconnected, and the equity surfing boomers rule. Also, it is an exurban bubble, with weak ties to Oregon (Oregonians are priced out). It is a coastal California exurb. Spoils for the winners in the CA real estate lottery.

As a former faculty member, I don't think I support the dismissive take on SOU offered by Nell. It is a very nice school with committed and skilled faculty. It is not a research school, but I think it offers a solid undergraduate education in one of the best settings in the West. I know many SOU grads who have gone on to successful careers, and larger universities, and generally speak well of SOU. It really depends upon what you are looking for, so don't write it off without due diligence. Beautiful little campus with great view, especially when the snow falls. Heavenly.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 09-23-2014 at 12:12 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Dear Fiddlehead,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! Your perspective on the university is most welcome.

Our daughter, having just entered her junior year of high school, is a significant factor. SOU seems like a strong possibility for her as she is mostly a dramatic actress, with other interests in art and teaching younger kids. She doesn't want a conservatory BFA and is interested in a campus experience at a school where she can have a broad range of classes and friends. The only downside is there is no women's lacrosse.

A small town is a positive for us as long as we have good organic food, natural beauty, and opportunities to create meaningful relationships. I have run across people from Ashland, and those who have returned, so I know what a special place it is.

Many thanks!

Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 PM

My own daughter did not want to attend a large university, the scale of U of O and OSU was more than she wanted to handle. There is a level of intimacy in a small university and for a theater student Ashland is hard to beat - short of Julliard or top tier programs in LA.

I have a friend whose daughter attended the Collage of Visual and Performing Arts at the University of Montana. She tried to make it in NYC but like so many others did not succeed and is now operating a B&B. I didn't see any evidence that the student was able to develop relationships in college that would help her achieve her goal. One advantage of SOU is proximity to the Oregon Shakespeare Theater.

There is no one 'best' school for every student.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:54 PM

No, there isn't. If we move for this job I hope SOU is a fit for several reasons,
and think it should be. But wishing doesn't make it so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon