Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,305 times

Advertisements

I was born in Southern California and later on moved to Florida, most of that time living in South Florida (Fort. Lauderdale area) and now in Central Florida, so I've been exposed to hot/warm weather with sunny days basically all my life. For the past year I've been thinking of maybe finally moving out of Florida eventually, after I finish my schooling (I'm in college currently). Sure Florida has it's perks: the nice beaches and theme parks (both of which I only visit maybe 1-2 a year to be honest), but even after living here for many years, I cannot ever get used to these horrible blazing hot summers (sometimes a bit too warm springs/falls) with high humidity. I can't even take my dogs out for a second without just sweating and feeling faint from the heat, it actually gets that bad sometimes. It's warm most of the year, where I live it starts to get cold maybe November, and thats only in the early mornings/late nights. Probably around January it actually gets chilly all day, but it stays in the 50s or 60s throughout the day, and it gets warmer again by late February/March, so you don't really get to enjoy the cooler weather for long, then it's right back up to the hot weather. I've just been here for so long, I'm kinda starting to get sick of Florida.
I've been fascinated with the Pacific NW, and thought that Oregon might be a nice place. I haven't been before, so of course I have to plan a trip over there to check out the areas and see what they have to offer. Could anyone tell me how living over there is like? What places are more ideal to visit/live? I think Portland (or at least the surrounding area) would be lovely, from what I've heard in the past. Also how is the weather? Does it get terribly cold? How are the summers? I'm assuming better than Florida's. Also a big thing is, does it rain/get very dark and cloudy as often as everyone says it does? I'm just so used to the sunny days here (however we've been getting dark rainy days here for the past 2 weeks), that I'm a bit afraid that it can be depressing. I do love the rain, but it makes me feel tired and blah. Are you used to it? How about crime? Anything else?
I'm just looking for a change. I'm so used to being here that I'm afraid I might regret it, but hey why not give it a shot and step out of my comfort-zone. Any tips on doing a pretty big move like this would be helpful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 09:38 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
Find a job before you move!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:53 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Find a job before you move!
Good advice assuming a job is needed.

But the questions asked seem to indicate Oregon is not for you. If those questions represent your concerns, look elsewhere. You won't be happy here.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:18 AM

679 posts, read 877,641 times
My husband and I are in the process of relocating from Florida to Oregon. We chose the Pacific Northwest precisely because it is about as different from Florida as you can get. We then chose the Portland area because we like city amenities, but not big cities. We started by visiting a few times during the winter. Since it sounds as if you are still enamored of Florida sunshine, I suggest you plan a trip in December or January when the days are short, dark and rainy, and imagine what your life would be like if several months of the year felt like that. If you still want to move, start visiting different areas and narrow down which parts you like most. There is incredible diversity in the geography here.

Moving 3,000 miles isn't inexpensive. The moving company wouldn't even give me a written estimate when I told them we were paying for it ourselves and it wasn't a corporate relocation. The ballpark he gave me was $$15,000-$20,000 for packing and moving about 50% of our Florida house's contents. So, we're selling everything at auction. You can buy 20 coffee tables for the price it takes to move one that far.

I don't know you, but unless you're incredibly dissatisfied with Florida, I think you might not like it. It's about as unlike Florida as you can get, except for maybe Alaska. Go for a visit in the winter, and then decide. There is really no way to do this except to visit and experience it firsthand.

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:25 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
Smart decision to sell your household goods, chances are your current furniture wouldn't suit your next residence in any case..

Old 10-01-2014, 10:48 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
My husband and I are in the process of relocating from Florida to Oregon. We chose the Pacific Northwest precisely because it is about as different from Florida as you can get. We then chose the Portland area because we like city amenities, but not big cities. We started by visiting a few times during the winter. Since it sounds as if you are still enamored of Florida sunshine, I suggest you plan a trip in December or January when the days are short, dark and rainy, and imagine what your life would be like if several months of the year felt like that. If you still want to move, start visiting different areas and narrow down which parts you like most. There is incredible diversity in the geography here.

Moving 3,000 miles isn't inexpensive. The moving company wouldn't even give me a written estimate when I told them we were paying for it ourselves and it wasn't a corporate relocation. The ballpark he gave me was $$15,000-$20,000 for packing and moving about 50% of our Florida house's contents. So, we're selling everything at auction. You can buy 20 coffee tables for the price it takes to move one that far.

I don't know you, but unless you're incredibly dissatisfied with Florida, I think you might not like it. It's about as unlike Florida as you can get, except for maybe Alaska. Go for a visit in the winter, and then decide. There is really no way to do this except to visit and experience it firsthand.

Good luck!
I think somebody was trying to rip you off. I priced a uhaul truck from Tampa to the Oregon coast and it was about $2000, not including fuel. Figure 3000 mi. @5 miles per gallon, and that 600 gallons of fuel. At $4/per gallon that's $2600 or about $4600 total.

If a person is willing to pack up their own furniture and they don't have a mansion to move, they should be able to pack it all in one large 26' truck.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:18 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
I think somebody was trying to rip you off. I priced a uhaul truck from Tampa to the Oregon coast and it was about $2000, not including fuel. Figure 3000 mi. @5 miles per gallon, and that 600 gallons of fuel. At $4/per gallon that's $2600 or about $4600 total.

If a person is willing to pack up their own furniture and they don't have a mansion to move, they should be able to pack it all in one large 26' truck.
The prior post was about an actual moving company (packing, driving, unloading), not the do-it-yourself of U-haul. From the quote I'm guessing they also own a lot of stuff in a big home. Moving a 2BR apt from the rust belt to OR cost about $4,000 using movers, and that was 5 years ago when gas was cheap during the recession.

But you're right that the OP probably does not need professional movers, and almost certainly owns less stuff.

OP said:
Quote:
I do love the rain, but it makes me feel tired and blah.
. That should probably deter you from making the move. It's possible you could benefit from some sort of SAD treatment, but a FL-PNW move is an expensive investment to come to a place where it can be gray for weeks on end.

Before looking this far out, I'd look nearer by - maybe Asheville or Pittsburgh or even Columbus?

Old 10-01-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post

Now ask yourself, did you really have $4,600 of stuff to move. Keep in mind you added that value on top of what you paid for it. Plus you most likely had cars or a car to move also, and hotel/motel and meals for three to five days. And I doubt you actually got 5 MPG. Oh wait. I see you only priced it.

Well here are the real numbers for a medium U-Haul and one car from Orlando to Portland. The move cost $12,000. My friend who made the move said the stuff was worth maybe $5,000 and he would never do that again. And this was just last year.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:28 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Now ask yourself, did you really have $4,600 of stuff to move. Keep in mind you added that value on top of what you paid for it. Plus you most likely had cars or a car to move also, and hotel/motel and meals for three to five days. And I doubt you actually got 5 MPG. Oh wait. I see you only priced it.

Well here are the real numbers for a medium U-Haul and one car from Orlando to Portland. The move cost $12,000. My friend who made the move said the stuff was worth maybe $5,000 and he would never do that again. And this was just last year.
Well your friend is an idiot if he spent $7000+ on food, lodging and gas for his other car to get it out there.

no offense.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:31 PM

Why the name calling? Most of the cost was the moving truck and fuel for it. The mileage was close to 3 MPG. We talked about it at length over a game of cards and he had a lot to say about the foolishness of hauling "STUFF" 3,300 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon