Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 14,439 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a job in Portland at the VA Medical Center, so I will be a bit south of downtown. I will start around the 1st of May. I spent 4 days there with friends who know the area, looking at various neighborhoods and getting my bearings. All of the quirky, artsy, nearly self-contained neighborhoods won my heart. I'm hoping to rent for about a year before deciding the next step. Here are my wishes and questions:
I plan to retire in about a year.
I want public transportation from home to work and would prefer no more than one transfer.
I'm willing to accept a longer commute knowing the end is in sight.
I want a neighborhood in which I can meet all basic needs without venturing beyond walking and bicycle use.
I definitely don't want an apartment or high rise condo.
I have a small dog and do not smoke.
I'm willing to pay approximately $2000/mo. but would prefer either a duplex or single family residence. And, it must have off street designated parking, preferably a garage.
I want to be able to get coffee, breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks, and a few groceries within the neighborhood.
As for cultural events, I don't mind driving.

Questions:
For someone familiar with Vancouver, WA housing areas, neighborhoods, prices, and public transportation:
Is the type neighborhood and housing that I'm looking for available in Vancouver? I now I'll have to pay Oregon state taxes while working, but I'm thinking of retirement and the draw of no state income tax in Washington.

I loved the Alberta Arts District, Historic Mississippi neighborhood, pretty much anything contained within the highway borders of 99E, a little below 30E, not quite as far east as 213 and 26 on the south border. Is there any specific area I should avoid for safety? I have been warned that areas between downtown and the river aren't the best, but that's not where I'm looking. I thoroughly enjoy the mixed cultural, race, income, and interest neighborhoods. That is not my concern.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 10:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Gal View Post
I have accepted a job in Portland at the VA Medical Center, ,,,
Questions:
For someone familiar with Vancouver, WA housing areas, neighborhoods, prices, and public transportation:
Is the type neighborhood and housing that I'm looking for available in Vancouver?
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
It is illegal to post positive info on WA in the Oregon Forum, You will have to post in WA forum to get Vancouver info. (You can post WA or OR info on Vancouver forum, it is not illegal there)

according to your list...I think you will be better off living in Oregon during the short final yr of employment. THEN you can decide which area of Portland or Vancouver better suits you for your 'new-life' (not commuting daily, and possibly desiring a to not be STATE taxed on pension / SS). Give yourself that extra hour / day and find a place to live near work. Your budget seems to be very possible to live in very nice area close to VA.

You might enjoy living in Sellwood or Woodstock areas and be fairly close to work. (but I would choose SW area and WALK to work!)

Old 02-13-2015, 10:55 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
The commute to/from WA to the VA hospital is awful. Whatever you might save in OR income taxes will be consumed by the stress and cost of that commute.

OHSU and the VA Hospital are for all practical purposes co-located. There is a bus from the 18th & Jefferson MAX stop to OHSU during commute hours. There is also a bus from the vicinity of Portland State.

My suggestion is to ask you HR department what busses serve the facility then go onto the TriMet map site to see where they run. Also verify that a particular bus will be operating during the hours you need transportation.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:18 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
"I now I'll have to pay Oregon state taxes while working, but I'm thinking of retirement and the draw of no state income tax in Washington."

But you also have to balance that with the fact that Oregon has no Sales tax. And because of your pending retirement, unless you intend to move later, the no income tax benefit goes away at retirement. (Oregon does not tax Social Security Income.)

Old 02-18-2015, 02:48 PM

Nor does it tax Federal retirement income earned before October 1, 1991 (calculated on a pro-rata basis). This is the residue of a court case where the State exempted state retirement income from taxes.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:21 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
If I had to commute from Vancouver to VA/OHSU at anything approximating standard rush hours I would personally hate my life, at least for that one year.

Getting to downtown Portland is bad enough, but getting up the hill you're adding additional time on top of that.

Rent in Portland for a year, and use the time to evaluate if/where you want to be for the long run after.

And while I like Vancouver in many ways, there really aren't many places that measure up to Portland neighborhoods in terms of "walkability." Plus your housing budget is more than ample for renting in Portland. In your case there's really no reason not to start with Portland.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Where is the "different slant"? I am more than a bit annoyed at being suckered into reading the same avoiding Oregon taxes imbroglio through subterfuge. Nice job, o.p. but you know what they say right... fool me once...

Old 02-23-2015, 02:58 AM

106 posts, read 201,093 times
Take a look at Multnomah Village; its 3 miles from the VA and is a neat neighborhood. Look around Gabriel Park for a place. You can rent small homes around "the Village" for the budget you posted. I live in the area and work on "the Hill," too. Lots of people that work at the VA live around Multnomah Village.

I would take a pass on Vancouver; its a pain to commute and does not have the more dynamic neighborhoods found in PDX. Live and rent in Multnomah Village for a year while you explore PDX and its many interesting neighborhoods. You'll be close to work in a lively neighborhood that's centrally located.

Congrats on the new job!

Happy Trails,

MtMtnMan

Old 02-28-2015, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 14,439 times
Thank you all for the excellent advice. Trying to search for a place to live via all the online sites (like Zillow, Trulia, and Craigslist) has been difficult as there are so many scam/false ads. I'm considering trying to find a rental agent if I'm not successful soon. I will definitely concentrate on some of the areas suggested, and am intrigued with the idea of living East of the river and using the new walk/bike bridge (cant recall the name). If I could find the type of neighborhood I'm searching for that is very walkable on the West side of the river I'd certainly consider it!

Again, thanks for all the nice (except one) comments!

Old 03-01-2015, 08:49 AM

Keep in mind the fact that the bridge you mention isn't in service yet. Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail Project: Construction - Multi-Use Transit Bridge

Portland metro doesn't rental agents, it does have property managers. Look for a property management firm name on Craigslist posts then go to their company website for more listings under their management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: