Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 12:50 AM

4 posts, read 14,247 times

Advertisements

My wife and 2 year old daughter will be relocating to the Gresham area for work. We're originally from New England, then moved to Southern California for seven years, and now, hopefully for good, settling down in Oregon.

California was only supposed to be a "four years tops" kind of a move, but alas. I'm fortunate enough that my line of employ allows us to move nearly anywhere. Now that our daughter has turned two, we really felt the need to execute our long term plan. Which, to say the least, was not raising her in Southern California...

We discussed moving back East, if not New England the Mid-Atlantic. However, New England was under seven feet of snow this winter and the mid-A states just didn't feel enough like home to us. Enter the PNW, Oregon specifically.

I have several interviews lined up when we visit later this month for two weeks, but am looking for local knowledge of a few things.

Salary Range: $85k - $95k

Avg. Rent Gresham Area (3B/2B)

Avg. Home Price (3B/2B 1500-2000sqft) Gresham Area

Avg. Utility Costs: 3B/2B 1500-2000sqft 3 People

Avg. Electric: $ /mo
Avg. Nat. Gas: $ /mo
Avg. Water: $ /mo
Avg. Trash: $ /mo

Avg. Home Ins:$ /mo

Comparable Car Insurance (paid off):
2005 Toyota Cor $ /mo
2010 Honda Fit $ /mo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 10:08 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
That salary range is doable for a family of 3, even if you aren't the best budgeters in the world.

Avg prices for the "gresham area" are tough to highlight because the area has pretty wide variance, since it arguably includes Happy Valley (more expensive) as well as some of the poorest neighborhoods in the metro (in/around "Centennial"). Even within Gresham rents it really depends if you want one of the newer condos up in Wood Village/Fairview, or you're living in one of the budget apartments by MHCC, etc.

Getting around Gresham is for the most part easier by car than getting in/out of downtown Portland, so you can range a bit farther with a bit less concern for the traffic impact, though east/west on Powell/Division is slow, and 205 is increasingly congested. So you certainly could commute across from Camas/Vancouver but it's a risk. If they ever do build a 3rd bridge connecting Camas/Troutdale (unlikely but often floated), that would actually be a great deal.

The main knock against east Portland & Gresham are the schools, and w/ a 2 yo that's a concern on your horizon unless you're thinking of going the private/Catholic route. Camas or Happy Valley would be ways to be in a better district, in exchange for slightly longer commutes. Still not terrible commutes in 2015, though I'd tend to favor Happy Valley over Camas just to avoid the risk relying on the bridge for commuting creates. From HV depending on where you are the commute would either be up/over 205/84, or cross country, which for the most part is a pretty drive. Not super efficient, but really not that long either (20 min?).

[Edit - though I made the assumption your job would be in Gresham itself, which is perhaps not true]

Old 05-08-2015, 01:47 PM

I will be working in Gresham. Home or private school for the kiddo. We sold house down here and have 110k for down payment. But one income precludes anything above 400k for us as we budget for risk.

Biggest concerns are expenses (utilities, etc.)

Thanks for the insight

Old 05-08-2015, 02:33 PM

For what it's worth, Gresham doesn't have the best reputation in the metro, but some of that is really just reputation. There are plenty of pockets with money and very low crime rates. The schools do really range from suck to middlin', but it sounds like you're covered there.

$110 in equity plus your salary will give you a lot of flex. There are a number of areas worth looking at at $400 or less, but I'd probably say it's worth at least touching base with a realtor to get into details on what would really be the best fit.

Though one caution is that a lot of the housing in that area (HV, Gresham) is newer developments where you'll need to work into your budget not just PITI but HOA fees.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:36 PM

If not to live, where would it be suggested to look for that "good area"? I'd like to keep my commute <22 minutes.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:56 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namadic Nematoda View Post
If not to live, where would it be suggested to look for that "good area"? I'd like to keep my commute <22 minutes.
bler144 is being polite. Gresham has a horrible reputation as a place to live. Someone moving to Oregon with your financial resources would best consider at least a middle class area. Even if you don't plan to use the public schools, public school quality is always a good indication of who your neighbors will be. Be sure to visit the area before renting or especially buying.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
bler144 is being polite. Gresham has a horrible reputation as a place to live. Someone moving to Oregon with your financial resources would best consider at least a middle class area. Even if you don't plan to use the public schools, public school quality is always a good indication of who your neighbors will be. Be sure to visit the area before renting or especially buying.
Eh, depending on where in Gresham you are you're more likely to see Audis than crime. Like I said, a lot of Gresham's reputation is from people who don't spend much time there.

But it is true that gentrification in the city has pushed a lot of the poverty that used to center on 82nd out east of 140th and up against the boundaries of Gresham. So the western fringe in particular seems to be dicey around Powell and Division.

As for where to look in Gresham specifically, that's why I'd recommend conferring with a realtor, since even of the nice parts of Gresham there's a lot of differentiation on style and amenities. Wood Village/Fairview will be more recent developments interspersed with Targets and FM's and strip malls and lean towards condos, whereas south of Springwater you're looking at larger more expensive SFH, though likely still some options in your price range. There are some other nice residential neighborhoods scattered about, though given the money you have to spend they may not measure up.

The desire to keep the commute under 20 min probably pushes Camas off the table, particularly for the afternoon commute, but Happy Valley is probably still an option, esp. if looking around HV Park rather than out towards Sunnyside.

Edit - and depending who your new employer is, you may just want to ask them if they have any tips or a realtor to recommend.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:55 PM

Default Update: We Moved

So, thank you for the insight. We came up to the Portland area for a couple weeks to scope everything out. I accepted the job offer @ 95K with bonuses. We purchased a home in Happy Valley. My commute time will be around 23 minutes taking the back roads.

Thanks so much!

Old 10-19-2018, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
How are you liking it in Happy Valley? We are thinking of moving with one income $110,000 two kids. Is it a safe area? We would be coming from northern ca. Grass Valley area. We would love to get out of California, trying to decide between Happy Valley and Vancouver area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon