Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 04:55 PM

7 posts, read 14,058 times

Advertisements

So, part of the reason my husband and I are considering moving to the Coos Bay/ N.Bend/ Bandon area is because of the awesome potential we think the area has with the upcoming plans for the california gas line, the alaskan pipeline, the railway overhaul and the possible future deepening of the canal. It just seems like those things in the next 5-10 years will turn the small city into more of a destination over time. More jobs to be had means more people means expansion of the city.

Any thoughts on any of these subjects? Just curious what any Oregonians think of these things since all I can do from Seattle is google search and read.

)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 05:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
I don't give the LNG pipeline much of a chance of success, not because I think state regulators will listen to people who have objections to it (although they should), but because the current price of oil/gas makes it less than cost-effective. Plus the Russians are currently building a pipeline through Siberia to China which will supply natural gas at a much lower rate.

At any rate, I wouldn't count on any of those projects necessarily going through, as they are all in the very early planning stages at the moment.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 05-26-2015 at 05:37 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
"Alaskan pipeline?" Are you talking about one of the several proposed natural gas pipelines? It'll never happen. It's not economically viable, or the oil/gas companies would've built it a long time ago. The state wants to put up the money, but it's broke with a 3 billion dollar budget shortfall this year.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
I was wondering about that too...I thought the proposed pipeline project was pretty much shelved because there's no real market for it right now.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:50 PM

Jordan Cove (aka Pacific Connector Pipeline Project) is still more-or-less among the living. There was even a rally against it in Salem today. Keystone at least could forward the argument that it was about energy independence - Jordan Cove is entirely about export of Canadian natural gas and the US allowing a Canadian company to use eminent domain laws to seize private (and US public) property for corporate profits.

The railway project is about upgrading the rail lines to Coos Bay terminals to allow export of coal to Asia. That one has a HUGE price tag and while companies have been in talks about it, no company wants to foot the bill to upgrade the infrastructure and the county and state don't have the money, either.

Last I read, deepening the harbor and dredging were waiting on either project to go through, but again, the state doesn't have the money and the US isn't likely to shell it out, either.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:11 AM

198 posts, read 344,799 times
Wow, I hope that Pacific Connector goes down the tubes. Putting an underground, high-pressure gas pipeline in an area with drought, wildfires, tremors, and endangered eco-systems? Oh, and mostly volunteer fire departments -- if any, at all -- in the very rural areas along the stretch. Gee, what could possibly go wrong? The proposed route is 15-20 miles south of my land so I've been watching this.

I've read that Pres. Obama wants it to go through to give Russia some major competition in the natural gas market. Kitzhaber left behind a list of things they'd have to do to get approval by Oregon agencies, I read. Good ole Ron Wyden is cheering it on. I think Jeff Merkley may be, too. Of course, the people most in favor of these things aren't usually the ones who have to live right near them.

I'm not exactly an Oregonian yet, OP; I own land there, pay property tax on it, and am planning to begin building in a few months. But I think I'm far from alone in not wanting the beautiful state to become a "destination" as you call it for heavily polluting jobs/industries that destroy fragile habitats and the environment. How many manmade and natural disasters, how many species need to disappear, before it sinks in that this planet and OUR species is in real trouble?

Growth and jobs through environmentally friendly and sustainable industries and enterprises? Sure! Just as they're learning on other continents, you can kill animals into extinction and clearcut forests or you can protect the animals and forests so that they can become a tourist attraction and enduring source of revenue, jobs and pride.

Last edited by peaceloveandjulie; 05-29-2015 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-29-2015, 11:49 AM

400 posts, read 414,347 times
Girl, I can't rep you enough.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:34 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
There's a natural gas pipeline across one of my parents' farms. Other than a 10' square monitoring and control station on one property corner, you would never know it was there. It's buried 8' down and has been there for 50 years. The gas company paid for the easement, and paid for the crop they would have destroyed. As it worked out, my dad got both the crop and the payment, so he was well satisfied.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:01 PM

7 posts, read 14,058 times
thanks for the responses! I call it the "alaskan" pipeline because quite frankly I don't know what else to call it. Just the proposed natural gas line, I guess. I do realize it is in very early considerations, just thought I'd feel out what people actually living there think of it or have heard. I get that people want to protect the environment and animals living in it but I don't see why a gasline would do that. It would benefit the little towns greatly in my opinion. Seems like the state/ environmental organizations or whatever would do whatever they could do protect the environments while still letting the project happen.

Interesting to read opinions on all of this and I think it'll be interesting to follow and see what happens in Oregon as far as all of that goes.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlage View Post
thanks for the responses! I call it the "alaskan" pipeline because quite frankly I don't know what else to call it. Just the proposed natural gas line, I guess. I do realize it is in very early considerations, just thought I'd feel out what people actually living there think of it or have heard. I get that people want to protect the environment and animals living in it but I don't see why a gasline would do that. It would benefit the little towns greatly in my opinion. Seems like the state/ environmental organizations or whatever would do whatever they could do protect the environments while still letting the project happen.

Interesting to read opinions on all of this and I think it'll be interesting to follow and see what happens in Oregon as far as all of that goes.
So you don't know what it is, you don't know where it comes from, but you think it is a good idea? Based on what?

The Pacific Connector Pipeline is a natural gas pipeline that would run natural gas from the junction in Eastern Oregon to Coos Bay. There is no Alaska connection with this pipeline. It is run by a Canadian company, Veresen (via several sock puppet corporations so that the main Veresen company and their shareholders have no liability). Like part of the Ruby pipeline (which at least provides gas to US users, not entirely for export), it would be constructed by a Texas company using their own employees.

if Veresen thinks it is such a great idea, the terminal can go in at to Vancouver, BC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon