Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 12,712 times

Advertisements

Looking to invest in real estate in OR, anyone have any ideas on up and coming smaller cities. Good job market, schools, safe, clean, all the fundamentals of a great place to live. thanks jeremiah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 PM

305 posts, read 1,610,246 times
Check out Tigard, south west of Portland. Property is still sort of cheap, the schools are great, and you've got Portland right there to work from.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,731 times
Check out Hillsboro. Nice town. About 20 minute drive to Portland. Has everything you could ever want or need in terms of shopping etc. The lite-rail goes through town so you have easy access to Portland and the airport. Also lots of cute older homes to fix up. Also access to the coast about an hour west of there, on Hwy 26. If you have ever seen the TLC t.v. show "Little People....Big Life" I think that is the title, this is the area where that family lives.

My sister recently moved there, and she absolutely loves it!

Old 02-13-2008, 05:29 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
For an investor though, Hillsboro is past the up and coming part. It is here. It depends on your investing strategy. Are you a buy and hold or a flip kinda investor?

Old 02-13-2008, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,807 times
If Hillsboro is not the up and coming what is. My husband and I are looking to move to Oregon by the fall. Can you make any recommendation, he wants the ocean and I want the mountains and we both love the outdoors

Old 02-14-2008, 04:24 PM

27 posts, read 28,518 times
I really do not want to encourage any more out-of-staters to drive up prices as they have in the past. The days of a quick flip are gone anyway.

Huehnels - Hillsboro has already been discovered but still a good investment. There are still new businesses moving in with new jobs and they have just re-zoned some additional industrial lands along Hwy 26 to keep up with growth. It seems like Hillsboro/Beaverton have not had the massive highs and lows of other cities so its a good long term investment. North Plains and Banks are small commuter towns but there isn't much to choose from.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 PM

Hillsboro is a great place to live, and I love Orenco Station. I am not saying it is not a great place to live, but if you are an investor looking to buy before a city gets discovered, this would not be it. It is still a good place to invest.

Up and coming in this market...That's a tough one. Stayton is going through some nice rejuvenation, but it is an old logging town so that would be a buy and hold for 20 years kind of place. Independence is making an effort to improve the city as well, and has done wonderful things with it's downtown.

Banks is a wonderful small community, but not a lot for sale. People stay put there. Forest Grove would probably be my next best guess for up and coming. None of these would be short term holds in my opinion though.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:31 PM

97 posts, read 504,104 times
Default Orenco SUCKS!

Orenco is an area that used to be covered by beautiful farms and forest for miles, miles, and miles. The entire area has been completly paved over. The area was raped by developers. That is a fact. Try to dispute me.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:08 PM

I used to live in the West Hills so I am aware of the massive development that has occurred from Tanasbourne to Orenco. I remember when the Roadhouse was out in the middle of nowhere. I am not disputing the fact that that occurred. Not sure how you interpreted my comments to mean that I was somehow disputing development. I do think that since they were going to "rape" the land anyway, at least they put in a park and made it a mixed use area so it has more of a community feel to it. I like that they did that. I hate just seeing suburban sprawl.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:25 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboucher22 View Post
Looking to invest in real estate in OR, anyone have any ideas on up and coming smaller cities. Good job market, schools, safe, clean, all the fundamentals of a great place to live. thanks jeremiah
Well, the entire valley from Portland to Ashland is over priced so I wouldn't invest there. The LaPine to Redmond area is also grossly over priced.

I like smaller areas in eastern Oregon like Klamath Falls, Lakeview, LaGrande... that attracts retirees. Also, look along the coast, but 3-10 miles inland like Toledo, east of Waldport... often some very good deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon