Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 01:40 AM

34 posts, read 38,928 times

Advertisements

Hi -

My husband and I are relocating this upcoming year.

I LOVE Portland. Been there a few times and I love the vibe. We are from CA and I know most people in the area seem to gripe but I feel that I belong there as opposed to Southern California, where I can't take the heat and we make a lot of money to live less than middle class lifestyles.

I love the walkability and history of the Portland neighborhoods. They charm me and I love the hippy, weird, community vibe.

We have a 4 year old as well as an older 17 year old who will be done with high school by the time we move there and will be looking into Community Colleges, so I am concerned with crime, safety and schools.

Coming from an LA suburb, I have been considering Camas for their school districts and beautiful area and homes, but I'm weary of moving back to a suburb since CA suburbs are so worn down and overrun. I also hear taxes in WA are unpredictable.

Does anyone have any pros and cons they would like to share about living in each area?

Are the Camas suburbs a better bet or should I stick to the more Urban Portland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:52 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
If you're going to work in Portland you'll want to live closer. The commute to central Portland from Camas would be insane.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:08 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
What's your budget for buying/renting housing?

Camas is not worn down or overrun, though it has gone from rural mill town to 'upscale suburb' in just a few decades. But the commute to downtown is not inconsiderable, particularly the return trip in the afternoon.

Camas is really not 'walkable' at all, though walking around the lake for pleasure is quite nice. A few of the other suburbs are at least more walkable - sections of Beaverton/Hillsboro, e.g. and would also offer better public transit for commuting.

In terms of K-12, that varies a great deal. In terms of community college, both Clark (WA) and the CCs on the Oregon side (Mt. Hood, PCC, Clackamas) all are generally good, with perhaps some variance in specific programs.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:39 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,450 times
If your jobs will be in Oregon, live in Oregon. If your jobs will be in Washington or the main wage earner telecommutes or you're retired, live in Washington. Camas is a nice suburb, not run down at all, but as others have said a crappy commute to where most of the Oregon jobs are located.

There are lots of good school districts in Oregon, including but not limited to Lake Oswego, West Linn, Southwest Portland, Happy Valley, Sherwood, Beaverton's East, North, and Southern edges, and NW Portland, from the West Hills all the way West to the Bethany area.

Last edited by patches403; 10-13-2015 at 10:47 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,763 times
Granda Hills! Grew up there, then moved to Santa Clarita, then to Happy Valley about 8 months ago. We were tired of the heat, and fires and lack of seasons as well. Saw more rain in the first six months here than I had seen in the previous six years in SoCal.

I too looked at Camas, but it really is far away from Portland and work. There were some very nice homes, but again the commute seemed way too much.

We really fell in love with Happy Valley - think Porter Ranch but not as pricey - yet. Great schools, trails, community park, plus they're building new home communities there so seem to be very pro-growth. Close to Clackamas Town center mall, cool community events and park, stuff like that. Although its not like you walk to the local shops.

Lots of quirky older neighborhoods, between the 5 and 205, but so many are like downtown Reseda, like Tampa and Sherman Way. High Density, and a stone's throw away from not so nice areas.

Don't worry about the perception about people griping about Californians. I've yet to encounter anything hostile.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:11 PM

346 posts, read 464,007 times
I'm not sure about Washingtonians, but Oregonians sure hate Californians!

Old 10-13-2015, 07:55 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Not true, although whiners from where-ever get short shrift.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:03 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Not true, although whiners from where-ever get short shrift.
Whiners or braggarts, I would say.

If you insist on telling everyone you used your million dollars in equity that you built because you timed the L.A./Bay market perfectly and used it to completely overpay for a house here (in cash) because everything is just sooooo cheap here, that may rub some folks the wrong way too.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:47 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Whiners or braggarts, I would say. ..........
Plus the people who left California because they could no longer stand it and then immediately go on a crusade to turn Oregon into California

Old 01-07-2016, 12:27 AM

34 posts, read 38,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
Granda Hills! Grew up there, then moved to Santa Clarita, then to Happy Valley about 8 months ago. We were tired of the heat, and fires and lack of seasons as well. Saw more rain in the first six months here than I had seen in the previous six years in SoCal.

I too looked at Camas, but it really is far away from Portland and work. There were some very nice homes, but again the commute seemed way too much.

We really fell in love with Happy Valley - think Porter Ranch but not as pricey - yet. Great schools, trails, community park, plus they're building new home communities there so seem to be very pro-growth. Close to Clackamas Town center mall, cool community events and park, stuff like that. Although its not like you walk to the local shops.

Lots of quirky older neighborhoods, between the 5 and 205, but so many are like downtown Reseda, like Tampa and Sherman Way. High Density, and a stone's throw away from not so nice areas.

Don't worry about the perception about people griping about Californians. I've yet to encounter anything hostile.
Thank you!!! Sorry it took so long for me to come back to this site. Porter Ranch has grown a lot here too and is probably one of the last nice suburbs in the Valley.

I will look into Happy Valley. I telecommute to work, but recently found out there is a chance that I might have to go into the office, closest office is Downtown PDX. My husband is a Sales Distribution Rep and is accepting the Portland, OR position but will most likely have to drive all over Oregon for his work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon