Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 04:56 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
I don't think anyone is contesting the speed-limits within the city limits, just the arcane laws on roads outside of the city. Oregon in the past few years has become over protective when it comes to dealing with what they perceive as "you might hurt yourself" laws.
I think some of the city speed limits in Oregon are an even bigger problem. Reedsport is a well known speed trap. A small town that shouldn't even have more then one cop on duty at any time. But in the summer time they have at least two cops writing tickets on highway 101, which is a wide four lane road with a 30 mph speed limit, and a steep down grade. If any tourists think they can just coast through town, the cops have a big surprise for them.

North Bend just lowered the speed limit on a portion of highway 101 in the downtown section to 20 mph. It’s a major highway with heavy traffic, and nobody drives less then 30 mph in that area. You could cause a major wreck if you suddenly slowed down to 20 mph on that road. But since 99% of the traffic is going 30 to 40 mph, the cops can just pick out who ever they want to give a ticket too. I haven’t seen them do it yet, but I’m sure they will when the summer tourists arrive.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:55 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Out of State Cars = $$$$$$.

I listen to the OSP scanner. Almost every plate they run is either California, Washington, or British Columbia. If you want to drive through Oregon be ready to pay your Oregon speed tax.
Let's face it, compared to Cali, Washington or BC, Oregon is a very poor state...they need the out of state $$$$$ and tickets is a good way to get it. I avoided Oregon for about 8 years after I got a ticket when I wasn't speeding through some little podunk town on the coast when I vacationed there.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:45 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default Oh Gosh...

So, when I'm going 45 mph down Division st when traffic permits, which is the posted limit, and the moron behind me is trying to go 65 mph and, and as we all know, is riding my bumper...should I not be slowing down...??? Am I bad? I just figure I'll have a lot fewer injuries and less damage to my car if I'm going 25 mph...which I then do. Is this wrong? I'm loosing sleep over this thing I do to other drivers to protect myself and my family.
I'm just torn...torn I tell you. Would someone please comment, nicely, of course.
Koale

Old 01-03-2016, 11:08 AM

424 posts, read 580,635 times
Slowing down will only cause the other driver more hostility toward you. Of course driving the speed limit does not mean the other driver will not have any hostility toward you is also bogus. I would attempt to get the license plate number just in case it develops into road rage. Just maintain your speed and don't do anything more to agitate them, like taping the brakes.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
If someone is tailgating me, I have no problem letting off my speed and slowing down for them.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:05 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If someone is tailgating me, I have no problem letting off my speed and slowing down for them.
That is in fact what driver's education courses instruct safe drivers to do!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:20 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I think some of the city speed limits in Oregon are an even bigger problem. Reedsport is a well known speed trap. A small town that shouldn't even have more then one cop on duty at any time. But in the summer time they have at least two cops writing tickets on highway 101, which is a wide four lane road with a 30 mph speed limit, and a steep down grade. If any tourists think they can just coast through town, the cops have a big surprise for them.
Washington's just as bad that way. Pacific County (first one north of Astoria) is probably the worst overall, but there's a place in the eastern part that almost makes its living giving WSU students speed traps: Colfax. The PNW's dirtiest secret might be the prevalence of revenue-based policing directed primarily at people who would not drive back to fight the ticket.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:39 AM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Crazy Californian here ha ha...

We were up there this past fall, and we slowed down quite a bit while driving in Oregon. When in Rome ya know? The only annoying thing we came across was an older couple who refused to go to the right during a passing lane that otherwise had one lane. He stayed right in pace with the cars in the slow lane and when I flashed my brights to remind him to speed up or pull over, I saw him stretch his hand to point at the speed limit sign we happened to pass on the road! lol! Gee thanks hall monitor!

BTW, I'm not really a crazy "California driver", but in Orange County where I live people drive very fast! I never drive in the passing lane unless... I'm passing! I would imagine there might be a self satisfying passive aggressive thing going on with those who drive in the passing lane... especially in Oregon and they notice California plates behind them, lol!

Old 01-04-2016, 10:54 AM

5,447 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Washington's just as bad that way. Pacific County (first one north of Astoria) is probably the worst overall, but there's a place in the eastern part that almost makes its living giving WSU students speed traps: Colfax. The PNW's dirtiest secret might be the prevalence of revenue-based policing directed primarily at people who would not drive back to fight the ticket.
FYI.... this isn't remotely restricted to the PNW and the PNW is not even close to being the worst part of the country for this sort of thing. Texas is full of notorious speed trap towns. But they take it a whole step farther in the south with racially-biased law enforcement like the Sandra Bland thing in rural SE Texas. Or the towns around St. Louis that basically derive their entire municipal budgets from tickets. Frankly law enforcement in the PNW is a breath of fresh air compared to just about any place in the south or east. I would 100x rather get pulled over in eastern Oregon than say rural Texas or the Florida panhandle or places like South Carolina or Virginia.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:26 AM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
If I recall correctly, didn't the state pass a law this past year that said cops could ticket you for impeding traffic in the fast lanes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon