Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:41 PM

198 posts, read 344,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You might change your mind. There are many beautiful places to see in Oregon and if your income is fixed, you might not be able to go and stay very often if you must pay for a motel. There are gorgeous state park campgrounds everywhere that are relatively low cost.

A summer vacation driving the Oregon coast and staying in the state parks in different locations is well worth doing.

You are building in a very beautiful area, but there is a lot more variety to be seen, all of it worth seeing. You've got plenty of places that should be seen within day trip distance of where you are building, but if you can't spend a night or two, you will miss a lot of places that should be seen.
Oh, I'll get to these places, little by little! I'll have the rest of my life. There's a lot to be said for enjoying the "luxury" of flushing toilets and not having to be so cognizant of electricity usage when traveling since daily life is off-grid. Something I've noticed in Oregon is that there are clean, safe, inexpensive little motels around. I like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 08:45 PM

That's a nice tank, NoMoreSnowForMe. Good price, too.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
There has been quite a bit of back-and-forth over the limits and boundaries of the air shed in the area. For instance, the area we lived in, near Agency Lake at the upper end of Klamath Lake, was not subject to woodstove burning restrictions (we were subject to outdoor burning restrictions like the rest of the area) - but if you lived just a 1/4 mile south, you were. It is the same air shed and an even tighter, smaller basin than the rest of the Klamath Basin, so it really made no sense that the area wasn't included in the air shed restrictions.

The state is slowly working its way around the problem by only allowing the sale of cleaner-burning woodstoves (new at least, you can still buy old ones off craigslist) and by mandating removal of old noncomplying woodstoves when a house is sold.
That's a good thing, really. I think I saw a stat that about 30 percent of the households in the area heat with wood.

It's wild how much of my home is going to be "Oregon-made." I'm going with a Wiseway pellet stove made in Medford! It's a solid stove -- gravity feed, no auger to malfunction, no electrics or control panel. It simply uses gravity and natural draft to burn. Very efficient and EPA-approved, of course. My solar panels are made in Hillsboro, too -- SolarWorld. I actually didn't know their operations were in Hillsboro when I chose them. Quality product.

I don't get any rebates or checks for installing solar or the pellet stove, of course, since I'm building new and wasn't a Pacific Light customer. Oh, well. There are tax credits.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Didn't you say your land is up on a mountain?
How steep is the road to your place?
How rough, bumpy is the road?

When pulling a utility trailer Loaded with a full water tank up a mountain shale rock/gravel road, using a small pickup, your tires are liable to be spinning. You will probably have to put weight into your pickup bed. Like some firewood or sandbags/dirtbags, rocks, etc. You might have to let some air out of your tires.
Smallish mountain. Is that an oxymoron, LOL? About 4,800 ft. elevation at my land. The roads aren't steep or terribly rough. Pretty easy, actually.

Thanks for the sandbag advice! I'll probably have stuff in the bed quite often, especially when I'm coming back from town.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:09 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
You might have use for some food grade barrels.....

Food grade barrels

Old 03-04-2016, 09:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I love wood heat. It warms you to your bones. I swear it's great for arthritis and old injuries. And I love the sound of a fire, as well as watching one. I hope your pellet stove has a glass front, so you can see the fire.

And 4700 feet is no joke! Sounds like a mountain to me.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:36 AM

I have cut firewood here & used my woodburner for the last six lustrum. I really enjoy the ambiance set by the woodburner.

I live in southwest Oregon on the south side of this forested mountain, at 2000'.

I get quite a bit of sunshine, even in the winter. I like that there is not much wind here. I'm protected by the mountains.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I have cut firewood here & used my woodburner for the last six lustrum. I really enjoy the ambiance set by the woodburner.

I live in southwest Oregon on the south side of this forested mountain, at 2000'.

I get quite a bit of sunshine, even in the winter. I like that there is not much wind here. I'm protected by the mountains.
How's the wind been lately, Hawk J? I keep Bonanza on my weather app so I can track temps (I'm really itching to make my move!) and saw that the area had some pretty major wind advisories!

Quite a bit of rain, too. Since I'll be doing rainwater catchment, I'm a bit bummed I'm missing out on that. However, I'm also missing out on the misery of mud with a couple of dogs in a camper, hahahaha!

Old 03-12-2016, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandjulie View Post
How's the wind been lately, Hawk J? I keep Bonanza on my weather app so I can track temps (I'm really itching to make my move!) and saw that the area had some pretty major wind advisories!

Quite a bit of rain, too. Since I'll be doing rainwater catchment, I'm a bit bummed I'm missing out on that. However, I'm also missing out on the misery of mud with a couple of dogs in a camper, hahahaha!
We haven't been getting any wind here on the mountain. Just a very slight breeze once in a while.
It's a rarity i believe, some days there will be no wind here, i go into Grants Pass for some groceries & it's very windy there........The wind blows at times through the Rogue Valley.

We have been getting some much needed rain lately & some sun breaks. It's been mostly in the 50's-60's, once in a while, 70. Nights have been in the 40's, sometimes upper 30's.

I know you are really excited about getting started on your place. I was very excited when i found my place here in 1987. It was all forest with an artesian spring running along the ground.

Drive Safely if you drive here, or after you get here, if you fly to Oregon...

Old 03-12-2016, 03:20 AM

In Bonanza, it looks like the wind is 23mph today & tomorrow. They predict the wind will be 6-11 mph next week. Not bad if they are right...

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l...+OR+97623:4:US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon