Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 02:55 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yeah, Mohinder got old and retired, but not before the cast of "Sometimes A Great Notion" made him famous. Mo's ships clam chowder base all over the US, to be reconstituted in your very own kitchen. You are right, it's not the same chowder.
The clam chowder base that you can get in the supermarket is way better than anything in a can, IMO. I still like Mo's, but I've been to the coast a couple of times this year and haven't been. There's so much more competition and new restaurants to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 03:46 PM

30 posts, read 31,230 times
The Mo's base that is sold in stores is good, and definitely a notch above anything from a can.

I have fond memories of Mo's restaurant. Going to the beach as a kid, the clam chowder was amazing, with incredible hot and soft bread on the side. I loved it. I've been there more recently, however, and each time seems to get a little bit worse. Last time the bread was hard, and the clam chowder tasted more like potato soup -- barely any clams to be found in it and not all that great overall. My experiences were at the Lincoln City or Cannon Beach locations.

Doogers chowder (Seaside) is my current favorite, though I certainly haven't been to all the places in the article. I'll have to try the Driftwood Restaurant clam chowder next time I'm near Seaside/Cannon Beach, as that picture of the bread bowl looks delicious!

Old 06-14-2016, 09:28 PM

11 posts, read 21,071 times
Default Seriously?

If your looking for good clam chowder your going to have to relocate to Rhode Island.
I moved to Oregon in 1979, and I'm glad I didn’t move here for the food.
People here think clam chowder has corn in it.
In Oregon good seafood is what you get at Red Lobster.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:38 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkandeputy View Post
If your looking for
Ignore. Inaccurate.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkandeputy View Post
If your looking for good clam chowder your going to have to relocate to Rhode Island.
I moved to Oregon in 1979, and I'm glad I didn’t move here for the food.
People here think clam chowder has corn in it.
I have never had clam chowder with corn in it anywhere. Are you sure you didn't order corn chowder? That's a thing.

I didn't know Red Lobster had moved into Oregon. I have seen them in Washington, but never in Oregon. I have never seen a chain that has good seafood, but I have had occasional meals where the chef knew how to treat a fish. Mostly you have to go to the coast for seafood, because a fish out of the water 24 hours has already started to turn. It's hard to get fresh seafood inland. It's not surprising that the seafood in Canby is mediocre.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:39 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
I like Mo's as well. Excellent fish, excellent chowder.

As for Red Lobster, they are indeed in Oregon with multiple locations in Portland, Salem, and Eugene and others.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:45 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
I've ate at a few of the places on the list and some that are not on the list. IMHO the best chowder on the Oregon coast is at Ungars Bay in Winchester Bay. it also has some of the best fish n chips on the coast.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:56 AM

54 posts, read 114,279 times
The only place I've ever had clam chowder is in Oregon. Best stuff ever. My mom used to work at Mo's when I was kid so I got to eat a lot of it.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:25 PM

122 posts, read 190,289 times
Mo's is definitely a must-try when you're on the Oregon coast. Another great clam chowder in Newport comes from the Newport Cafe.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:04 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
Whatever you think about Mo's there is usually a wait at dinner time on a Saturday so, someone must like it. I have eaten at Mo's many times and although I detest clams and clam chowder, during crabbing season they offer whole dungeness for 29 bucks. Or 23 dollar whole rock crabs. Local. Fresh? I don't know but they are delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon