Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:34 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking.Bigfoot View Post
Thanks Larry for that info. It pretty much sounds like where I live now in Prescott valley, Az. Tons of vets, homeless, and retirees. In PV however...there's a lot of drug rehabs too, so you get recovering addicts roaming the streets looking for a new high.
I'd probably like it better if i was retired, didn't have kids and loved the high desert, but I miss Oregon and I'm not retired.

The other choices for a job transfer are Springfield or Sandy, Oregon. Not a fan of living so close to Eugene even though it's a bigger city with tons to do. Sandy is awesome.... IF you have a ton money....otherwise it's impossible to find a home. I lived in Sandy 8 years ago when it wasn't a boom town.

So, I guess well see what happens. Either way...I'm coming home...back to Oregon.
You're picking between Springfield and Roseburg for the same job and leaning towards Roseburg? If it were me and Springfield was too urban, I'd take the Springfield job and live out in Pleasant Hill or some other nearby small town that is 10-15 minutes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 11:15 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Quote:
Thanks Larry for that info. It pretty much sounds like where I live now in Prescott valley, Az. Tons of vets, homeless, and retirees. In PV however...there's a lot of drug rehabs too, so you get recovering addicts roaming the streets looking for a new high.
I'd probably like it better if i was retired, didn't have kids and loved the high desert, but I miss Oregon and I'm not retired.

The other choices for a job transfer are Springfield or Sandy, Oregon. Not a fan of living so close to Eugene even though it's a bigger city with tons to do. Sandy is awesome.... IF you have a ton money....otherwise it's impossible to find a home. I lived in Sandy 8 years ago when it wasn't a boom town.

So, I guess well see what happens. Either way...I'm coming home...back to Oregon.
For your children's sake I recommend Springfield also.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:25 PM

185 posts, read 275,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
You're picking between Springfield and Roseburg for the same job and leaning towards Roseburg? If it were me and Springfield was too urban, I'd take the Springfield job and live out in Pleasant Hill or some other nearby small town that is 10-15 minutes away.
Not the same job, but the same kind of job. It's a different forest district.
As for being urban... I don't care. I lived in NoPo for awhile and that ok. I just know the valley gets hotter during the summer and they do have water problems...like arsenic and so on.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:11 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
As for being urban... I don't care. I lived in NoPo for awhile and that ok. I just know the valley gets hotter during the summer and they do have water problems...like arsenic and so on.
There isn't a lot of difference in high temps (or precip or cloudiness) between Eugene and Roseburg, it's very close. It's when you start getting further south to the Rogue Valley that summer temps get really hot.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:43 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
Quote:
I grew up in Eugene back in the 70s and early 80s so different era but still, not that much has changed.

We would frequently compete against teams from Roseburg and Coos Bay (back then both Marshfield and North Bend High Schools were still in the largest classification and played against all the Eugene schools). So I knew kids from both Roseburg and Coos Bay while growing up from track and football but especially from HS debate where you learn to know kids from other schools a whole lot better at long weekend tournaments.

To a person they all wanted out of Coos Bay and Roseburg and looked to Eugene or Portland or points beyond. There just simply wasn't much for kids, especially HS kids in either town. And even back in the early 80s it was obvious there wasn't much future in timber towns.

If you have kids they will have much more opportunity in the Eugene area. That's simply an undeniable fact. In Roseburg they will either leave town and not look back as soon as they can, or they will stay and not reach their potential.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:38 PM

218 posts, read 244,664 times
As a FS employee he should have some connections to ask questions and get some help finding a good place to live. As a FS employee (retired) I knew several people who took jobs in the Reseburg area and liked it.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
As a FS employee he should have some connections to ask questions and get some help finding a good place to live. As a FS employee (retired) I knew several people who took jobs in the Reseburg area and liked it.
He does have connections, but they are all on the Hood FS district.
He LOVED working on Mt. hood and really enjoyed all the guys there...however housing is another story. $300,000 for a flip? I think not. Or how about a small town home for 289,000. That's crazy.
At lease the Roseburg area has some decent priced houses that won't rape you.
The Umpqua Forest is the only forest my hubby hasn't worked at.
I realize Roseburg doesn't have much for teens, but we have family in Charleston and friends near Gold Beach, Brookings and Medford that we can visit anytime. Plus, if my kids can volunteer and also get a small paying job on the side...that should be enough to occupy their time for while anyway. I'm sure it's better than living in The Dalles. Whew...that was not a fun place to live.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post

If you have kids they will have much more opportunity in the Eugene area. That's simply an undeniable fact. In Roseburg they will either leave town and not look back as soon as they can, or they will stay and not reach their potential.
Well....my kids already have plans to leave Oregon anyway. Born and raised in Oregon but one wants to go to NY and the other just wants to travel the world. In about 6 years my hubby retires and we will be hitting the road. Full time Rving sound like a plan unless War breaks out before then. Who knows what life will bring. Enjoy it while ya can.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
There isn't a lot of difference in high temps (or precip or cloudiness) between Eugene and Roseburg, it's very close. It's when you start getting further south to the Rogue Valley that summer temps get really hot.
Hmm...I thought I read somewhere that Roseburg was kind of a Tropical zone. Not too hot in the summer...like 80's and not too cold in the winter....like 50's. Maybe I'm wrong.
I just know Eugene and that area can get really hot. Went to the Oregon country fair in Veneta a few times in the summer I almost died.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:54 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Eugene

Roseburg

By these images, Roseburg's actually slightly hotter. These are also average temps, including the average high - the actual high in either place can still hit 100°. The problem with the warming in the last 10 years is that it hasn't been cooling off at night as much, bring the daily average temp up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon