Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:10 AM

40 posts, read 57,241 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've made a couple threads about GP in the past and was set on moving there. I've been house hunting the past 3 months and have visited to look at homes 3 times now with no luck. One major issue thats getting me discouraged is the rural community.The more areas i drive around the more trashy property's i see, very low kept with numerous trailers and broken down cars everywhere. The worst part is even looking at houses around the 450-550 k you will have them as your neighbor or in the neighborhood.

Whats the cause of this and if wanting to move to southern Oregon is this what i will just have to accept>? Its really is to bad because everything else I love about Gp, the weather, scenery, location. Im not trying to categorize the whole area but seems a large majority in the rural area's have very low income .

The other issue real estate prices are crazy high but all the potential places to move to I've found are even more then Gp. Im looking for a nice house with 2-5 acres. Roseburg is reasonable priced but the area looked worst off then Gp as far as economy goes.

Id possibly consider moving somewhere else that gets a little more rain that has a nicer community so please leave any suggestions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 11:08 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,413,812 times
GP has a poverty rate just under 25% so it is one of the higher poverty rates for Oregon.

I can say that if you want acreage you will have to accept that you can have a nice house next to a trashed out house unless you can pay more to live in an acreage subdivision. That is true everywhere in my area.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:14 AM

231 posts, read 239,360 times
It's just the nature of rural places in many areas, not just GP, not just Oregon. If you are willing to pay more, you can move to the Applegate, for example. It's very near GP and beautiful, but very expensive. If you're looking for a rural area that is less developed and has more affluent occupants, you're going to find it where the low income people have been bought out or forced out by wealthier people with horses or dreams of running a winery or that sort of thing.

And honestly, it's not different from urban areas. If you're looking for condo or a loft in a city, the pleasant neighborhoods where the wealthy cluster are going to be really nice and really spendy. If you want a great place for less, you move to 'transitional' neighborhoods and the immediate environs will have elements of poverty and neglect.

Also, will add, being low income and having old cars on your property doesn't make a person a bad neighbor. Sometimes when you have very little you tend to hang on to things you'd be better off letting go of. Still that person may have a kind heart and be there for you when you need a friendly neighbor. If it's a visual thing for you, as in you just find seeing evidence of poverty to be depressing, then you will just have to hold out and hope you find that *one* special place that's both affordable and not adjacent to more distressed places. Josephine County is gorgeous and also economically depressed. It's also resistant to change for a variety of reasons and suffers from the ills of many rural places; lack of opportunity, generational poverty, drug abuse. Grants Pass proper, the city of GP, is probably the best place in Josephine County to live. Better services, better immediate economy... generally a nice place in my opinion. Outside the city you deal with rural county issues. There are more economically disadvantaged people living there because it's cheaper.

I get you're looking for something in the middle --not super spendy and exclusive but not situated among impoverished people either. I think in desirable places like a thriving city or a rural area with great natural beauty like southern OR, it's quite challenging to find that middle place. Have you considered expanding your search to rural areas of Jackson County? Likely even in the less affluent areas it will be more expensive than Josephine County, but you might have better luck finding the middle ground. Ruch? Buncom? Pinehurst?

Old 03-20-2019, 11:29 AM

991 posts, read 1,519,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW to NEPA View Post

Also, will add, being low income and having old cars on your property doesn't make a person a bad neighbor. Sometimes when you have very little you tend to hang on to things you'd be better off letting go of. Still that person may have a kind heart and be there for you when you need a friendly neighbor.
^^^This is truth. I have lived next to some gorgeous farms that were owned by adults that were given the money by their parents, and were the most obnoxious / arrogant / evil people I have met. I'd rather have a nice country family next to me, no matter what they have in their yard. Also, those folks with tractors and cars in their yards, can often and will help you in a pinch with any farm emergencies or mechanicaal problems.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:13 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Grants Pass= ugly town in a beautiful vallley.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:12 AM

15,415 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Unfortunately Oregon is filled with people who think that clearing forest land to build junkyards is a good use for the land, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of regulations to prevent them from doing it. Personally I don't waste a lot of time complaining about it. Because apparently that is the way they have lived their entire lives, and there is probably nothing I'm going to say to change their minds. Anyway what do I know, I'm just an invader from California, who doesn't understand the importance of cutting down these pesty trees to make room for beautiful junk cars. LOL

Old 03-21-2019, 12:22 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Where is this, Cloudy? I've been looking for a classic Ford pickup.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:40 AM

15,415 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Where is this, Cloudy? I've been looking for a classic Ford pickup.
Almost anywhere in Oregon. Just drive around and look for land with junk vehicles on it.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:47 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Almost anywhere in Oregon. Just drive around and look for land with junk vehicles on it.
I saw one in Bandon the other day.

At least you're headed in the right direction

Old 03-21-2019, 02:29 PM

40 posts, read 57,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
GP has a poverty rate just under 25% so it is one of the higher poverty rates for Oregon.

I can say that if you want acreage you will have to accept that you can have a nice house next to a trashed out house unless you can pay more to live in an acreage subdivision. That is true everywhere in my area.
i see, where in your area are you talking about? i was considering other area's that thought may be better like Lebanon or Mcminnville . Haven't visited those areas yet but trying to find mid sized town 15k- 50k thats with an hour of major shopping. do these area's have the same issue im talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon